In-between kid in kids' program?

karenem

Hi, all!

We'll be taking our first cruise this July--10 days to Alaska. I've been reading how important it is to have the kids meet up with others on the first night so they have someone to pal around with--makes a lot of sense to me. However, my 13YO son is small for his age (4'10" and 73 lbs) and tends to get along best with slightly younger kids rather than teens. He tends to be quiet and a little shy.

Would Princess let us bump him down an age group? I talked to my son, and he would rather be with the younger kids. I think he'd do much better as a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Thanks!

karenem

Hi,

All you have to do is ask the Youth Coordinator on the first night (registration night) and explain that your son would feel more comfortable in the other age group. I think there should be no problem in going down in the ages.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

You can ask, but cruise lines do not like allowing older kids in a younger group, for liability concerns. If there was a sibling in the younger group, they MIGHT allow it, but for summer cruises when the kid's programs are crowded, they really stick to the age groups.

Hmmmm. I guess then my question would be: how closely do they check IDs? <half kidding> He looks maybe 11YO, and if we just walked in nobody would blink an eye unless there's a master list. I do understand the liability thing, and possible concerns of other parents, but would absolutely trust him with younger kids. 16 and 17YOs though? They'd probably eat him alive and/or completely ignore him, neither of which sounds like the basis for a nice vacation.

DS's sisters will be 3 and 5, so no help there. I'll try emailing Princess and see if I get a reply. This question has got to come up fairly often.

Hmmmm. I guess then my question would be: how closely do they check IDs? <half kidding> He looks maybe 11YO, and if we just walked in nobody would blink an eye unless there's a master list. I do understand the liability thing, and possible concerns of other parents, but would absolutely trust him with younger kids. 16 and 17YOs though? They'd probably eat him alive and/or completely ignore him, neither of which sounds like the basis for a nice vacation.

DS's sisters will be 3 and 5, so no help there. I'll try emailing Princess and see if I get a reply. This question has got to come up fairly often.

Yep there is a master list. ;)

By the time you board your cruise, a list of all children with their ages will already be waiting when you go to check out the camp.

Figures!

I just checked the website, and they do have a blurb talking about "special needs" accomodation. DS is in the special ed program at school (I didn't mention it before because he is very high-functioning and has *no* behavioral issues--he just looks/acts young) so maybe that's an avenue to explore.

Thanks for the information!

Figures!

I just checked the website, and they do have a blurb talking about "special needs" accomodation. DS is in the special ed program at school (I didn't mention it before because he is very high-functioning and has *no* behavioral issues--he just looks/acts young) so maybe that's an avenue to explore.

Thanks for the information!

YES! Definalty take that route. I haven't been on Princess so I can't tell you from experience how accomodating they are but I have seen older kids on other cruiselines who have delays, placed in a younger group.

Email the Special Needs dept, no doubt :)

And please come back and tell us what they say.

He may like the teen program better if he likes video games. My oldest had turned 13 in Jan the year we went to Alaska in July. She was shy and mostly did craft things and hung out with the staff.

Princess' policy has been if the kids program isn't full they will allow a 13 to go to the 8-12 group but they rarely allow someone younger to go up a group.

He does love video games, but I don't want him zoned out in there the whole time!

OK, called Princess, and they said that if we talk to the camp counselor ASAP when we board, there will most likely be no problem bumping him down a group. I'd rather have that in writing rather than hoping, but there you go. Thanks everyone!

He does love video games, but I don't want him zoned out in there the whole time!

OK, called Princess, and they said that if we talk to the camp counselor ASAP when we board, there will most likely be no problem bumping him down a group. I'd rather have that in writing rather than hoping, but there you go. Thanks everyone!

Great! I hope it all works out for you. :)

Hi, all!

We'll be taking our first cruise this July--10 days to Alaska. I've been reading how important it is to have the kids meet up with others on the first night so they have someone to pal around with--makes a lot of sense to me. However, my 13YO son is small for his age (4'10" and 73 lbs) and tends to get along best with slightly younger kids rather than teens. He tends to be quiet and a little shy.

Would Princess let us bump him down an age group? I talked to my son, and he would rather be with the younger kids. I think he'd do much better as a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Thanks!

karenem

alot can happen in the life of a 13 year old between now and July. i wouldn't sweat it. Fortuneately a 13 year old can come and go as they please from the youth program. So if he is bored, he can meet up with you somewhere.

My family would always meet for lunch at the pool grill at 12 noon (as an example).

Archived