Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

So only people who made trip deposits prior to November 15, 2007 are eligible :confused:

I don't think the exact date has been established. As LADYBUG posted, the first email from Carnival about the surcharge was Nov. 11 and the letter sent by Carnival was dated Nov. 9.

IF Carnival decides to refund (and so far they have not) it will be for those passengers who had booked cruises BEFORE they announced the surcharge policy, so Nov. 9....Nov. 11.......somewhere in that neighborhood.

I'm hoping Carnival will step up and make the refunds, because I leave for the Valor in a week and a half ~ be nice to have a little more OBC waiting for me! ;)

Where on carnival's website will it show any OBC if given? On I believe my last Princess cruise I was able to see any OBC but I do not see where it would be on CCL website. TIA

Laura

I think you will have to call to verify it. I never could see OBC on Carnival site either. (if and when Carnival agrees to refund the fuel surcharge of course).

Just a thought, but isnt Carnival having earnings tomorrow? Maybe they will announce it then so they can assure folks it wouldnt hit earnings like RCL did. Im ever the optimist.

Charming, you are so right about me kicking myself, but not for the reason one might think. I was pretty quick to speak with one of the senior VPs at CCL to express my opinions, and cancelled two sailings right then and there. Booked one replacement cruise on a brand new line for me, and boarded the ship on Valentines Day with minimal clue of what to fully expect. Out of 37 vacation cruises, it turned out to be in my definite Top 2! There were two wonderful CCL platinum passengers on this same sailing, and we enjoyed comparing notes daily about what a terrific time we were all having, and wondering why we had waited so long to do it. I still owe them big time, for giving me the suggestion. Had the fuel surcharge issue never raised its head, I'd have missed that glorious experience (which I wish had been longer).

:D :D

Don could you be kind enough to share that line with us:)

but as I have said an OBC doesn't cost them the full 70.00. If I buy 70.00 worth of pictures what does that cost them. I know that wine is about double the price I pay at home. If I get the 70.00 and I use it for the supper club, how much does it really cost carnival?

but as I have said an OBC doesn't cost them the full 70.00. If I buy 70.00 worth of pictures what does that cost them. I know that wine is about double the price I pay at home. If I get the 70.00 and I use it for the supper club, how much does it really cost carnival?

So you wouldn't spend $70 on a ship? How about gratuities? Drinks? I think almost everyone would somehow spend $70 on a ship... so it's going to be cash or an OBC, I'm not sure what the difference is :confused: It doesn't matter what it costs Carnival, it's $70 that you would spend on the ship, but now you won't because of the OBC.

No that is not what I meant. If I get that OBC we are going to eat in the supper club twice on the next cruise. I just mean that 70.00 doesn't really cost Carnival 70.00 with all the padded costs like pics etc.....

Ill already have $100 from owning stock. I know if I get OBC of $70 I will treat it as found money and just spend extra on the ship myself. I understood what you meant.

No that is not what I meant. If I get that OBC we are going to eat in the supper club twice on the next cruise. I just mean that 70.00 doesn't really cost Carnival 70.00 with all the padded costs like pics etc.....

Of course it doesn't... just like when you get a $50 gift certificate at Christmas, and you go out to dinner with it, the meal doesn't cost the restaurant $50. My point was, regardless of how you spend it, you are still getting the $70 (if Carnival moves forward, which I am sure they will). I would think one would be happy with that, versus the alternative of nothing :)

We're one of those who booked (and paid for) over a year ago - 9 months BEFORE they tacked on the surcharge in November.

We sail in three weeks and I am still holding out hope for that extra $70 added to our OBC. Carnival will get it back - either through a few more foo-foo drinks or photos.

Just FYI - I emailed my TA about this and she came back with this:

"I called Carnival to see how they plan to refund the Fuel Surcharge. They informed me they were still in discussions with the Attorney Generals Office. I will let you know just as soon as we receive the information. We did just receive a letter from Royal Caribbean with information as to how they plan to refund. So I'm in hopes Carnival will follow as well. Royal Caribbean would have given you the fuel tax as an on-board ship credit for you to spend while on your cruise. So I would think Carnival would do the same thing. Just as soon as I hear something I will be sure to let you know. This fuel tax affected several of our bookings so it will be really nice, to give our clients some money back."

I recorded the 11:00 news last night to make sure I didn't miss anything in the announcement. (Living in FL, it's our Atty. General) Royal Caribbean and Celebrity were the only lines mentioned as of 11:00 March 11, 2008. Sorry. Here's hoping CC will follow suit.

I spend what I spend and the 80.00 will be 80.00 less that I owe.

We all need to call Carnival, email them and file a complaint with the AG at the site listed earlier in the thread.

My receipts shows the extra $50 in "federaltaxes/fees" untill I got a new one on 2-25-08. That is exactly what the AG is trying to nail them for.

We all need to get those receipts to the AG.

Archived