Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

http://www.orlandosentinel.com:80/business/orl-carnival2108mar21,0,5837311.story

interesting from a couple of perspectives. Wasn't the link a few posts back talking about Carnival saying they had disclosed the potential for a fuel surcharge in their contracts? Now it's brochures, but I can't see that flying even if it is in there, as many, many people never see those -- was it on their web site, and all PVP's and TA's instructed to inform? If they thought the brochure covered it, then why the new contract language? Curious stuff.

I also noted that they are blaming the loss of revenue on less ship board buying -- oh, molly, how many people said they would cruise, but cut back on their ship accounts? The article said in the same breath that prices were up, at least in the caribbean.

Just sort of curious how many will be changing brands -- I read one poster who did, and found it to his/her likeing. Is Carnival cutting off its nose to spite its face by digging in its heels?

I like this from the Florida AG defending consumers:

But Carnival's Bernstein said Thursday that Carnival had given passengers better warning about a potential surcharge than Royal Caribbean had. He said advertising brochures informed prospective customers of "the possibility that a fuel supplement could be assessed in addition to the advertised price, and that such a supplement would apply to all booked guests."

The Attorney General's Office has said it does not think Carnival's brochures adequately disclosed the threat of such a charge.

I hope the AG moves forward on this one.

Is the refund just on older booking? I booked in February and he told me it's a fuel surcharge. I don't get that back right?

Asuming you booked Feb. 2008, you knew about the fuel surcharge at the time of booking. I don't expect you to get anything back.

The argument is on behalf of those who were forced to pay the fuel surcharge (fare increase) retroactively.

Archived