Traveling with Medications

Mich1121

If you are traveling with medications do you need an actual doctors note reporting what you are taking and that you have clearance to cruise? Just asking. My daughter is on a preventative medication for ear infections and is completely healthy but she has to take medicine every day.

If you are traveling with medications do you need an actual doctors note reporting what you are taking and that you have clearance to cruise? Just asking. My daughter is on a preventative medication for ear infections and is completely healthy but she has to take medicine every day.

Nope, you're fine! Its always a good idea to have the medication in the original bottle w/ the presciption label though in case there is any question as to what the pills are.

I have traveled with medication to get me through my fear of flying.:eek: I don't have to bring a doctor's note but I do put it in the clear, 1 quart, plastic baggy to go through security at the airport.

I have traveled with medication to get me through my fear of flying.:eek: I don't have to bring a doctor's note but I do put it in the clear, 1 quart, plastic baggy to go through security at the airport.

The technical rule is that medication should be in their original containers with the name of the patient on it or you should have a doctors note indicating that you are taking this medication. You only need the TSA bag for LIQUIDS. Liquid Medications are exempt from the TSA requirements as long as they are in their original bottles.

This is especially true if it is a narcotic or a controlled substance. If it merely an antibiotic no one cares. The chances you will be stopped for a small amount of medication(under a 100 pills) is pretty small. But when they stop people for other things and find lose pills they can and do give you a hard time but again this is only if there is another major issue.

but again the clear plastic TSA bag is for liquids....and planes.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Yes, always travel with the original bottle/container. Others report that they have traveled for years without it.... but then again, they have not been stopped or searched either.

Good to have that. Also a very good idea in case you get sick so you can SHOW the medical staff EXACTLY what you are taking, not what you think you remember.

And, never ever put medications in your checked bags.

(okay, over the counter liquids over 3oz must go in checked bags when on the plane)

My DH and I both take several medications daily (sigh) and a couple of them are in the "controlled" category (not the highest one, but the one under that). We always travel with a signed med list on our doc's office letterhead. We get updated lists from him before any travel. It's only two pieces of paper that we know could be helpful if there are any questions or problems.

We've never been asked to provide a note or anything that says we're "cleared" for travel. I can't imagine why that would be required except for pregnancy (which the cruise line tells you in the FAQ) or another medical issue that might be cause for concern for the cruise line specifically for the safety or health of that passenger or others.

beachchick

as we have Kaiser's printed out prescrition for all of our stuff that I have clipped together since out pills are not in their bottles but in a daily pop open to take it canister.

(okay, over the counter liquids over 3oz must go in checked bags when on the plane)

Not true. Liquid OTCs can be in a separate baggie with other liquid medication - not the same baggie for personal care items. This baggie should be declared before your stuff is run through the x-ray machine so they know, but they don't usually even look at it good. My son's liquid OTC allergy medicine only comes in 4oz bottles. I put that, a tube of cortizone, and DH's eczema cream, and 6oz bottle of saline all in one baggie, and all was good.

Archived