Auto tip question...

FloridaLaura

On most lines you can do that, but please keep in mind that the auto tips cover many people, not just your room steward and wait staff that you deal with personally. Most times it also covers those in the buffet areas and other places on the ship.

I always suggest that if you receive exceptional service, simply leave the auto tip, as it makes it so much easier and the staff actually prefer it that way, and then tip a little extra to that particular person in cash.

If you remove the outo tip & tp in cash, the recipients are required to put the cash up to their share of the autotip into the pool. So if the auto tip is $10 and split 4/4/2 with the steward, waiter and assistant waiter, that is the amount the must deposit. Anything over, they keep.

I could be wrong ... but I was under the impression that when a passenger removes the autotip and tips in cash, staff/crew who receive those cash tips are required per their contract to contribute their cash amounts to the tip pool. Hence, the cash tips to those exceptional crew members actually are smaller than what you gave them. To say nothing of the behind-the-scenes people who work very hard get stiffed.

Explain auto tip to me. How does my room steward know I've selected this feature and not just stiffing him?

I have read in other posts that crew receive a printout of who has removed the tips ... so they know whose monies must be contributed to the shared tip pool. Guessing if you're not on that list, your steward will know his tips will be forthcoming.

I have read in other posts that crew receive a printout of who has removed the tips ... so they know whose monies must be contributed to the shared tip pool. Guessing if you're not on that list, your steward will know his tips will be forthcoming.

OK, but what's the incentive for him to go the extra mile if he's already been tipped? Do enough people auto tip and tip extra cash?

OK, but what's the incentive for him to go the extra mile if he's already been tipped? Do enough people auto tip and tip extra cash?

I would guess that, in part, the incentive would be more $$$$$$$$$. Further, personal pride in a job well done likely has much to do with it. We always have found our steward, without fail, to be eager to please and to well exceed his job description. And ... he really doesn't know til the end of the cruise that we are (1) leaving on the autotips and (2) giving him an added $100 cash for his 10-day attentiveness.

I think auto tip is the only way to go. Since it is a lot simpler, I only additional tip someone who goes out of their way for me. I have never had bad service as a result of the "auto" part of the tipping and would think that does not occur. I suppose if maybe I had a bad experience I might adjust it but not eliminate it.

If you prefer to tip for good service only, you are probably screwing someone that deserves a tip as well. I prefer not having a server "fish" for tips as all they do is kiss your-know-what and really don't care.

The purpose of auto-tipping is to provide a consistent level of tipping as some people are too tight and probably feel that $150 a week is too much. I always tip in addition to the auto-tip but only for (as mentioned before) exceptional service or someone that added to the cruise experience.

I like the auto tip feature. It's less I have to worry about. With an OBC of $100.00 that paid for the tips and I gave a little extra to the room steward. More than a little extra. More than his tip would be out of the tip pool.

This has obviously been dicussed and rehashed in other treads in fact recently a thread got so snarly that it got shut down. But to the point any cash received by crew is supposed to go into the tip pool and then shared per a pre-agreed formula. Now whether or not that actually happens depends enitrely upon the honesty of the crew member involved. We generally tip our room steward over and above the auto-tip and usually try to do in the cabin and out of the eyes of his mates so that if he wishes to keep it for himself that is up to him and fine by me.

This has obviously been dicussed and rehashed in other treads in fact recently a thread got so snarly that it got shut down. But to the point any cash received by crew is supposed to go into the tip pool and then shared per a pre-agreed formula. Now whether or not that actually happens depends enitrely upon the honesty of the crew member involved. We generally tip our room steward over and above the auto-tip and usually try to do in the cabin and out of the eyes of his mates so that if he wishes to keep it for himself that is up to him and fine by me.

That is not my understanding of how it works. Autotip is indeed divided up amongst those that you see working, and those you don't that are behind the scenes. However, if you receive excellent service by your steward and you choose to tip him extra, he does not have to put that into the tip pool. The only way he is required to put it into the pool is if you took autotip off.

I would guess that, in part, the incentive would be more $$$$$$$$$. Further, personal pride in a job well done likely has much to do with it. We always have found our steward, without fail, to be eager to please and to well exceed his job description. And ... he really doesn't know til the end of the cruise that we are (1) leaving on the autotips and (2) giving him an added $100 cash for his 10-day attentiveness.

That's my perspective. If I ever have service less than excellent, THEN I would adjust the tips. To do it in advance says that you *know* the staff won't all do an excellent job.

I wonder if the people who say that there is no incentive with an autotip are saying that THEY wouldn't do as good a job if THEY were tipped in advance?

I agree with this. I have yet to find a lazy staffer.

I very much appreciate the statement on personal pride. Not everyone requires the carrot in front of their nose. Some people are just hard workers that believe good things will come to them.

That is not my understanding of how it works. Autotip is indeed divided up amongst those that you see working, and those you don't that are behind the scenes. However, if you receive excellent service by your steward and you choose to tip him extra, he does not have to put that into the tip pool. The only way he is required to put it into the pool is if you took autotip off.

While I think it varies among cruise lines, what you have said is also how I think it works. While they must report received tips if auto is removed, I'm not sure it goes to a pool to split.

Well I would really like to think that you are correct.

This was my understanding also. And I would like to add again, that the staff prefer the autotip. They still work hard, they are still the same smiling people, and if they get an 'extra' tip, it's never expected but always appreciated. And maybe they are happier campers because they KNOW they'll get their tips with autotip and therefore can truly relax and be the special people they are and not have to 'perform' to make a tip. That's just my personal opinion.

I personally think the 'old' style of money in envelopes was embarrasing for both the giver and the receiver. Autotip takes all the guesswork out of everything, the hard working staff aren't 'stiffed' as can happen often when its left to passengers, and everyone is happy.:)

Archived