Hotwire or Priceline Success In Galveston?

LEtue

Thanks guys! =) Hotel Galvez is gorgeous, I'd LOVE to stay there! I've called around to a few hotels (Baymont, Howard Johnson Express) and they're full! Ugh! I just won't pay alot for 1 night, I'll save that for the cruise! Btw, we're cruising on the Conquest, our 2nd cruise on her =) I'm going to try my luck at priceline tomorrow, I've never used hotwire but will look into it.

I'll keep that place you mentioned in mind to eat at, we'll be getting there around 7 pm, another good place is a taco stand, far down on Seawall, past Gaido's..Good fresh fruit smoothies and taco's!

If You go that route,try League City.

...or try the NASA/Johnson Space Center/Clear Lake area of southeast Houston. We're right on I-45 and there is lots to do and numerous choices of lodging in the area. Only an easy +/-30 minute drive to the Galveston cruise terminals.

I have stayed @ Quality Inn and Suites 3 times, the last time they had put in place the waffle makers. Inside heated tub and hot tub, all in a nice area. The place is always clean and the beds are so extremely comfortable. That is the 1st place I look to stay and if I get a reasonable price, I pick it over all the others mentioned. You can go to choicehotels or sidestep also to book Quality Inn.

A great, great, inexpensive, super fun place to eat is at "The Spot". It is for mainly 20-60 y.o. group with great food and fabulous view and lots of fun people hanging about. This also is my 1st choice of places to eat. I get the fried fish sandwich. Their items come plain, and then they have a bar which has cheese, pickles, pico do galo(sp?), etc. which you load up on how much you want. They also have a website and you can look at the menu with happy hour on Friday evening with half-price appetizers (I think this is the day) and the best appetizer I have ever had in my life was there and it is called "shrimp kisses".....they will make you groan in your chair folks, fabulous!! If I can help with any ?'s ask away.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much for the feedback on the Quality Inn & Suites :D Sounds perfect for one night and the Spot sounds like the place for dinner - my mouth is watering!

Thanks guys! =) Hotel Galvez is gorgeous, I'd LOVE to stay there! I've called around to a few hotels (Baymont, Howard Johnson Express) and they're full! Ugh! I just won't pay alot for 1 night, I'll save that for the cruise! Btw, we're cruising on the Conquest, our 2nd cruise on her =) I'm going to try my luck at priceline tomorrow, I've never used hotwire but will look into it.

I'll keep that place you mentioned in mind to eat at, we'll be getting there around 7 pm, another good place is a taco stand, far down on Seawall, past Gaido's..Good fresh fruit smoothies and taco's!

I would go directly to www.Galveston.com and book through their website. You still have some options in all price ranges for April 12 :D

I booked the Quality Inn & Suites through there because it had a lower price than direct with AAA discount. Good luck!

The Quality Inn Stewart Beach is not the same hotel as the Quality Inn & Suites. Stewart Beach is at the east end of the island. The other one is on Seawall Blvd. I've stayed down by Steward Beach (rented a condo at the Islander East), but I cannot place the Quality Inn down there. If you do stay on the east end of the island and have a view of the bay, you can see the line of ships waiting to get into the channel very early in the morning.

We have booked the Spring Hill Marriot suites in Houston, near the Hobby airport and for $169 per night, includes breakfast and transport to the ship in Galveston on Sunday about 1PM for two people. This comes out to less than $100 per night when figuring the "free transportation".

• 2 months later...

Have not used Priceline for Galveston, but have used it for Houston area. I have had very good luck bidding on Priceline. However if you plan on bidding on Priceline do some google searches for the tips on bidding, there are a few ways to rebid and get better pricces.

I really want Harbor House...currently $157 with AAA pricing. But, I see a $99 rate on hotwire for harbor area room with same ratings info that tripadvisor has. Could it be Harbor House?

Check out betterbidding to see if someone else has gotten it. If you do go that route, betterbidding asks that you report back what you got.

these are the pinned galveston hotels that people have identified and reported back on.

Galveston

3.5* Hotel Galvez REVIEW

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Tennis

(same as San Luis Resort)

3.5* San Luis Resort REVIEW

Amenities: Resort, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Spa, Tennis

OR

Amenities: Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Tennis

(same as Hotel Galvez)

3* Holiday Inn

Amenities: Beachfront, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Tennis, Business, Laundry

Galveston (Clear Lake - NASA)

2.5* Candlewood Suites

Amenities: Fitness, Kitchnette, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry

2.5* Quality Inn Houston at NASA

Amenities: Complementary Breakfast, Pool, Laundry

Galveston (West - Seawall)

2* Flagship Hotel

Amenities: Beachfront, Pool

Houston (Aldine - Bush Ictl Airport IAH)

4* Sofitel Accord Hotel (now Crowne Plaza... not yet reported) REVIEW

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Business, Spa

(Crowne Plaza Greenspoint believe 3.5* with Airport Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business)

3.5* Crowne Plaza Greenspoint

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

3.5* Doubletree

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis

2.0 * (added) Flagship Hotel (someone got it recently for $79)

2501 Seawall Blvd

Galveston, Texas 77550

(409) 762-9000

Amenities: Beachfront, Pool(s)

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying in Webster, TX (apparently on the way to Galveston if the guy wasn't lying) in a Days Inn, king bed, whirlpool tub, for 60 bucks (AAA). To me, that was worth not being in Gavleston because they wanted two nights and more than 100 bucks. Somebody on this board recommended the place (they stayed there and it was nice). I don't do priceline after getting a bad hotel.

Archived