Birthday during cruise and kids club

Netta7

My son is celebrating his birthday in the middle of our cruise and switches age groups in the kids clubs on the middle of our cruise. We are traveling with Princess. Does anyone know how the ship handles this? Hopefully, he can pick and choose and join whatever group he is likes.

Any other birthday tips? We will be at sea the day of his birthday.

Thank you,

Netta&

We celebrate our kids' birthdays on cruiseship. But Princess hasn't been one of them. I can tell you the official response and then I can give you what they'll do in reality.

The official response is that a person is the age they are the day they board for the rest of the cruise. (This comes into play when a person turns 21 on a cruise, on some lines they still can't drink).

But, in our experience. We have always gone to the counselors on day 1 and said that our child would be in between clubs. They said to pick one to go to one day and then try the other one. Then see which one they would rather be apart of. Or they can give you the schedules for both clubs and the child can choose right then which one he would prefer.

They usually put the child in the older group on a "conditional basis".

But they will let him move up on day 1 if you ask. So then he can make friends right away.

My son is celebrating his birthday in the middle of our cruise and switches age groups in the kids clubs on the middle of our cruise. We are traveling with Princess. Does anyone know how the ship handles this? Hopefully, he can pick and choose and join whatever group he is likes.

Any other birthday tips? We will be at sea the day of his birthday.

Thank you,

Netta&

If you happen to be on a cruise where there aren't a lot of kids, some of the age groups get combined, so it may not be an issue. If the cruise is very full of children, you may not have as much leeway with him moving between groups.

. . .Any other birthday tips? We will be at sea the day of his birthday.

Bring some "portable" decorations and decorate the cabin and/or door (balloons and crepe paper take up so little room!). Maybe give the room steward something special to include in the turn-down that evening.

When our DD was younger (she's now 12YO and too "cool" for that kind of stuff) and we travelled on her b-day, she brought a treat for the kids in her age group (some "wisconsin" pencils with "cheese hat" erasers). RCCI was cool with her giving them to her new friends to commemorate her B-day, don't know if other lines would have any issues (particularly non-food stuff).

Check with the cruiseline because many state that the age the child is upon boarding- is the age the child is for the entire cruise. So that means that they don't move up to the next age group in the youth program.

As for the cruiseline- they offer cakes in the diningroom. But my son has not had a birthday yet on a cruise.

Some lines have a decoration package you purchase and they put them up.

Yeah that's what we do. But unfortunately Princess doesn't do that and that's the cruiseline the OP will be on. :)

I love getting the cabin decorated though. So Onessa has the best idea, bring your own deorations.

my son is having a birthday too!, he will be turning 9. His sister is 11 and will be in the bigger kids group.

I did order a cake to be given to him on his birthday.

They still have no idea they are going on a cruise, I can not believe I have kept it a secret for so long.

We told them that the grandparents will pick them up at our dock so they can see us set sail.

;)

Thanks all. I really hope Princess doesn't have the you can't move up rule. We are traveling during the summer and there will be lots of kids on board.

I love the idea of bringing decorations.

Thanks again.

Yeah that's what we do. But unfortunately Princess doesn't do that and that's the cruiseline the OP will be on. :)

I love getting the cabin decorated though. So Onessa has the best idea, bring your own deorations.

We were on the Grand Princess when they decorated our stateroom twice - once for DH's 50th birthday and the other time for Valentine's Day for DS. Maybe they don't anymore.

We were on the Grand Princess when they decorated our stateroom twice - once for DH's 50th birthday and the other time for Valentine's Day for DS. Maybe they don't anymore.

Really? I looked and looked on the Princess site a few months ago for a birthday package and couldn't find one. Then someone who travels them said they don't decorate the cabin :confused: If you can find the link, I will save it under my "favorites" so if anyone asks again I can point them in the right direction.

Thanks!

Really? I looked and looked on the Princess site a few months ago for a birthday package and couldn't find one. Then someone who travels them said they don't decorate the cabin :confused: If you can find the link, I will save it under my "favorites" so if anyone asks again I can point them in the right direction.

Thanks!

This was back in 2005, and I can't find anything on their site either.

Back in 2004, our daughter turned 7 the week before our cruise so we put her birthday in the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website. Princess decorates the cabin door with balloons and a sign (at least I saw this on our last cruise which was two years ago) and will bring a small chocolate cake (very rich and tasty) to the table during dinner on the date you list. All for free.

I had asked the fun zone counselors if we could bring the cake there so our girl could share it with the other kids and they said they can't allow it (food allergies was a major reason). So we "had" to eat the whole thing (we kept any leftovers in the cabin fridge).

I've noticed with some lines that it's not necessary to state your birthday on the personalizer.

They get the info from your passport, or by other means upon check-in.

Like, the passenger immigration form ... online, or hardcopy.

It happened to me a few times, and I've never bothered telling anybody on board. Got a cake after dinner on my b'day, and a card from the captain.

A most pleasant surprise. :)

Back in 2004' date=' our daughter turned 7 the week before our cruise so we put her birthday in the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website. Princess decorates the cabin door with balloons and a sign (at least I saw this on our last cruise which was two years ago) and will bring a small chocolate cake (very rich and tasty) to the table during dinner on the date you list. All for free.

[/quote']

That may be where I did it instead of purchasing a package.

Celebrated both my birthday and DD's birthday on Grand Princess. You can do a "Birthday Notification" through Curise Personalizer on line. With this, birthday balloons were placed outside our cabin door. We left these up all week. The balloons made it easy to find the cabin :D .

My daughter turned 9 while we were on the Grand Princess last month. On the first sea day there was a birthday party and kid's dinner in the Horizon Court. They sang to her and had a special cake and gift. She was the only kid celebrating a birthday on this sailing. The gift was a full sized Monopoly game. It was a challege packing it to take home!

Archived