European Cruise with kids, anyone done that?

ajrs

We have recently returned from our 1st cruise and as you all predicted, we're addicted. DH and I would love to do a 7 night european cruise next year. has anyone done that with the kids? mine are now 10 & 7. Just wondering what your experiences were, what you'd do differently, etc. thanks....

Can't give you much right now, but we are cruising Europe with a 10 year old and a 6 year old next month. (actually 1 month shy of 11 and 7) We are doing a 12 nighter with 3 nights in Rome precruise to see the sights and hopefully get over the jetlag.

Flight - we booked an overnight direct flight from Canada to Rome. This way we can optimize the amount of time they can sleep. They are not allowed to have any caffeine that whole day (soda, chocolate, etc). They are going to be allowed to watch a show, or read or something for the 1st hour of the flight, but after that it will be lights out. Hoping to get 5 to 6 hours sleep for them.

General - we let them bring Gameboys, as it helps with the waits in airports, before dinner is served, etc. We have early seating.

Tours - we booked mostly private tours, either on our own or with others from our roll call. We did this so that we could travel at our own pace. If the kids are getting cranky maybe we can stop for Ice Cream, or an extra rest room break. Not always possible with a ship's tour.

I will try to write a review when we return and let everyone know what worked and what did not for us.

We've travelled Europe both by land and sea several times with our DD (now 12 - last time was last November)

The red-eye flight is good -- no one will get a full night's sleep but it works. Allow ample time on any layovers you may have -- security is different from one airport to the next. Pack pleanty of snacks for the flight (while you still get food on international flights, it may be a little "wierd" not to mention that snacks are great entertainment).

Food on board North American based lines is pretty much what they are used to. Food choices on land may be a bit different -- make certain everyone is cool with that (kids should know that it is ok to try something, adults should re-consider "clean plate" edicts)

Going east a few time zones has never been too much of an issue with anyone in my family (going west, we never seem to adapt and end up with early bed times / early mornings!)

DD kind of likes the museums, shopping, architecture stuff -- so we've never had a issue with keeping her entertained. (One of my fondest memories was her at 4YO at the Ufficio in Florence absolutely facinated with the picture "the birth of Venus" -- all of the other people in the gallery were just tickled with her looking at it from different angles and sharing comments with me -- certainly things I would not have otherwise noticed!). We always "go on our own" rather than through the ships tours.

Have fun!

Hi! We did the Eastern Med. last April with a 4 and 8 year old. It was a GREAT trip. Everything that makes cruising so perfect for families elsewhere is even more wonderful in Europe.

The kids can get a "normal" breakfast on board before heading out to the ports. Returning to "your" table, with "your" waiters, at the end of a long day is nice for everyone, and the food is familiar. The captain does the driving between amazing places while you sleep. You unpack once, and repack once. When you all need some down time, the kids have all the cool activities and toys in the camp, and you've got the spa and lido deck.

We planned a combination of "serious" sightseeing and fun stuff. If I had to choose just one recommendation to you it is this: do not try to see it all. You can't anyway, and trying is just going to stress everybody out. I don't think we went to a single museum. Shopping was not a priority. Frequent breaks for gelato kept the kids going. If you find yourself somewhere and you need to feed the kids, and nothing appeals on the menu, most places will make children a dish of pasta with butter, and maybe some parmesan.

In Europe, IMHO, a large part of the experience is just being there. You can have as much of an authentic experience (maybe more so) by sitting at a sidewalk cafe with a beverage, instead of chasing around to every church/museum/ruin in the port. I concur with the previous poster who said they go it on their own. We did every port either completely on our own, or with a private guide. That way, you can adjust your day to the kids as necessary.

As far as the flight over, and jetlag, we just plan an easy first day, eat an early-ish dinner (which for most parts of Europe isn't that early by our standards) and early to bed. I keep the kids from napping that first day, as it then makes it impossible for them to go to sleep and they set off on an up-too-late, cranky in the morning pattern. Even though they're usually really tired that first day, the excitement of being someplace different usually carries them through (OK, I'm prepared for a bit of a meltdown at some point, but it's usually pretty brief).

Hope you have a great time!

I see you are from New York. That's a real plus. Airfares are generally cheaper out of NYC and nonstop.

I did the Western Med last summer with my then 6 year old on Celebrity Millenium. It was FANTASTIC!

This year we are doing Holland America Eastern Med out of Venice. Can't wait.

If you can do a cruise that includes Venice- you are in for a special treat. Sailing into Venice is really moving.

The only thing I would do differently is to book the cruise for mid-June instead of July or August. It was really hot and this did limit us somewhat. We didn't even get off the ship in Athens.

As for general suggestions- do NONstops. Many people are losing luggage.

Also, Rome is not the best port of departure. It is far from the port.

Barcelona and Venice are the best for embarkation and disembarkation (Venice is my favorite!) The airports aren't far from the port and overnights by the port are easy. That isn't to say that Rome shouldn't be on the agenda. If you are planning to do a couple night in Rome pre-cruise- then do Rome but it would be too much to fly to Rome and then get to the port on the day of embarkation- likewise with having at least 1.5 hour drive to the airport on the day of disembarkation.

I wouldn't book too many excursions for kids. Do one every other day. For example... in Livorno do the Cinque Terre instead of Florence. The kids will like that one very much. In Rome- do the "Rome on your Own"- bus ride into the city. In Santorini... no tour. The town is great for shopping. Villefrance- do the train on your own to Monte Carlo/Monaco. In Athens- stick with a ship's tour. In Naples- do Pompeii on your own. There are taxis at each end. In Barcelona, do the hop on hop off bus (takes 2.5 to circumnavigate the city if you don't get off) Good overview of the city. In Venice- go it alone. The whole city is one big museum. The Doge's Palace has a "hidden treasures" tour. You can buy the tickets there. If you do a gondola ride- do one in the early morning or at sunset (as opposed to afternoon- hot!). Dubrovnik is great on your own. Walking the wall and shopping will please the kids. They will really like seeing the "guiloteen"!

To add to what RebeccaLouise said: if you're taking a gondola ride, consider the tides. It is a much more pleasant experience toward high tide!;)

Also, while I'm sure a ship's tour in Athens will allow you to see more, we went on our own, as our single goal was to see the Acropolis. We went right to the train station via cab and took the first train we could get. That got us to the Acropolis before most of the ship's tours, and on our arrival it was MUCH less crowded than it was by the time we were ready to depart. There were at least three ships in port that day, and I think EVERY passenger on each one of them had the Acropolis as their priority! :eek: We then walked down the hill to the Plaka, nosed around a bit, had a lovely lunch, had a look at the "flea market" (not worth much time, IMHO), then headed back to the port, stopping at a grocery store to restock bottled water and other beverages after getting off the train and before hailing a cab back to the ship.

Happy planning!

honestly, I can't personally comment on Athens since I didn't get off the ship! The only reason I was suggesting a ship tour is that the Acropolis seems to be the only draw and I thought a ship tour might flesh out Athens more. But can't speak from experience.

We will be there again this year- so will get off the ship! Hopefully. Again we are stuck doing mid-July (school, work obligations).

honestly, I can't personally comment on Athens since I didn't get off the ship! The only reason I was suggesting a ship tour is that the Acropolis seems to be the only draw and I thought a ship tour might flesh out Athens more. But can't speak from experience.

We will be there again this year- so will get off the ship! Hopefully. Again we are stuck doing mid-July (school, work obligations).

Lucky you to be going again!! Hope you have comfortable weather!:) I think last year was really unusual. I heard it's been extremely cold in a lot of southern Europe this spring - maybe that trend will continue...well, not cold, but seasonally on the cooler side. :D

For me the heat wasn't that oppressive last year except for the day we were in Athens. It was hard on my 70 year old father and stepmother. That's why they aren't going with us on this year's Eastern Med. cruise.

It is really hot here in Baltimore in the summer- so being in the heat on vacation- sure beats working in Baltimore! Plus, everyone goes away in the summer in Baltimore so business where I work slows down.

A month in Europe (12 night cruise and two weeks on land) is going to be heaven! We are doing one week in Northern Italy and Austria. So should be comfortable there.

We have recently returned from our 1st cruise and as you all predicted, we're addicted. DH and I would love to do a 7 night european cruise next year. has anyone done that with the kids? mine are now 10 & 7. Just wondering what your experiences were, what you'd do differently, etc. thanks....

I would suggest the Med over the Baltic as the weather would be warmer and more time for play at the pool which the kids usually like. We also saw more kids on the Med cruise. If you can afford the time and money my other suggestions would be to book some time either pre or post cruise to just relax in a single destination as well as think about taking a longer cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

This was our 10 day Med cruise last summer;

http://medcruise07.blogspot.com/

We actually hardly took the kids off the ship. My dh has a bad back and a lot of the destinations were too hot and crowded for them. We already live in Europe too, so we'll probably do this again when they're older and can appreciate it. They were only 3, 5 & 7 (he turned 8 on board).

You've been given great tips. I concur with it all. I will add that European schools are out usually at the end of June/early July so I highly recommend mid-June when exams are going on. We had to go in August because of dh's work and everything was crowded.

I would also do a pre-cruise for a few reasons; jet lag, catching any lost luggage and simply to acclimate. Don't do it post-cruise. It would be a let-down so plan to do any visiting before. You could also visit another destination and then fly down to your departure city separately. Be aware that booking in July and August is horrible. I barely got a hotel room for 3 days in Rome the previous February.

We went out of Rome but the pp was right. Venice and Barcelona are much prettier departure points. I would also recommend at least a 10 day cruise if you can afford it. It went by so fast and it would justify the distance IMHO.

hth!

We are booked on our first Med cruise this summer with the kids and extended family (to celebrate my dad's 70th!!) The kids (DS-7 and DD-5) have each been on many cruises, so we think they'll be OK. We will be departing out of Barcelona and visiting Malta, Villefranche, Naples, Citavecchia, and Livorno. Pre-cruise/post-cruise we will spend a few days in Barcelona.

DS will turn 8 on the cruise--as an extra added bonus. So, we are looking for cool ideas on how to celebrate.

Looking forward to it!

CeleBrat

Which ship?? I know RCCL has packages you can buy where they decoratethe room and stuff- we did it for ds for his 9th. he loved it and we kept it up the whole trip. There was info on the RCCL website and I was able to order it before we left.

Once they find out someone is having a birthday or special occasion, folks were happy to go all out with a cake, singing etc.. It was wonderful.

We just booked 12 night europe for 5/09.. so I have been asking similar questions!! Will look forward ot hearing about your experiences!!

ENJOY IT!

Can't give you much right now, but we are cruising Europe with a 10 year old and a 6 year old next month. (actually 1 month shy of 11 and 7) We are doing a 12 nighter with 3 nights in Rome precruise to see the sights and hopefully get over the jetlag.

Flight - we booked an overnight direct flight from Canada to Rome. This way we can optimize the amount of time they can sleep. They are not allowed to have any caffeine that whole day (soda, chocolate, etc). They are going to be allowed to watch a show, or read or something for the 1st hour of the flight, but after that it will be lights out. Hoping to get 5 to 6 hours sleep for them.

General - we let them bring Gameboys, as it helps with the waits in airports, before dinner is served, etc. We have early seating.

Tours - we booked mostly private tours, either on our own or with others from our roll call. We did this so that we could travel at our own pace. If the kids are getting cranky maybe we can stop for Ice Cream, or an extra rest room break. Not always possible with a ship's tour.

I will try to write a review when we return and let everyone know what worked and what did not for us.

Hi Tricia,

I saw your post and your hometown made me smile. I grew up in timmins and graduated from o'gorman also. Would like to hear your review when you get back...I'm thinking summer 09 for a european tour with 4 kids

I will try hard to post a review soon after I get back. I am usually too depressed about having to be home to write one too soon, but I will try not to leave it too late.

If you were at OGO anywhere between 1984 and 1998 we probably have you in a year book somewhere, my brothers all went there too.

WineDown17--

We will be on the brand-new Norwegian Gem for our Med cruise. DS's b-day is actually on the last day (disembarkation), so I think we might cheat it and move it back to the day prior. I was thinking about having the room decorated when we arrive so it will be festive all week. Maybe we'll bring some trinket gift/favors to give out in the Kids Club on the past night of the cruise. Not sure---but want to think of something really cool to do since it will be a once-in-a-lifetime b-day for him.

Where is your 12 night cruise going...?

CeleBrat

I was considering a Med cruise for next summer (August 09) and even spoke with the LA on Mariner last week about it (we knew her from Liberty in November) and she really didn't think it was the right thing for us to do at this point with the kids. Our boys are currently 10 and 5.5 (by the time we would do the cruise, they would be 11.5 and just over 7) and she felt that it would be more than they would like.

However, from these posts, it appears just the opposite. I guess my concern is how much they would enjoy seeing the sights and doing tours. We found last week that they weren't much for bus touring (did a short one on St. Thomas) and prefer the amenities that big ships have to offer. The only "big" ship in the Med that time of year is Independence and she does 12 or 14 night cruises. I can take the time but DH cannot.

So we are faced with several obstacles to a Med cruise...length of cruise, travel issues, time of year (everyone says August is not the best time to go), vacation time, etc. Knowing my kids as I do, I would hate to book something and find out when we get there that all they want to do is play in the H2O zone (I can stay in the Caribbean for that!).

My kids will be 10.75 and 6.75 when we cruise the med next month. My oldest has been bugging me to go to the Pyramids since he was 3yrs old, so it was an easy sell for him as we are going to Egypt too. Actually, both my kids have been very excited since we booked 12 months ago. They both cannot wait to see the coloseum, Pompeii, the Vatican, a real castle or two, and many other things that they have learned about in school, read about (Magic Treehouse) or seen on TV. (they are Discovery Kids addicts ;) )

My youngest even saw some pictures of the Capuchin Crypt in Rome in a magazine and so now we have worked that into our Rome touring plans so he can see it in person.

We booked most of our own tours, and tried to stick to half days where we could to keep down the boredom level and let them enjoy the ship too.

It really does depend on the kids, but I think if you don't try to do EVERYTHING, and let your kids decide on some days that it can be done with happiness for all:D

I was considering a Med cruise for next summer (August 09) and even spoke with the LA on Mariner last week about it (we knew her from Liberty in November) and she really didn't think it was the right thing for us to do at this point with the kids. Our boys are currently 10 and 5.5 (by the time we would do the cruise, they would be 11.5 and just over 7) and she felt that it would be more than they would like.

However, from these posts, it appears just the opposite. I guess my concern is how much they would enjoy seeing the sights and doing tours. We found last week that they weren't much for bus touring (did a short one on St. Thomas) and prefer the amenities that big ships have to offer. The only "big" ship in the Med that time of year is Independence and she does 12 or 14 night cruises. I can take the time but DH cannot.

So we are faced with several obstacles to a Med cruise...length of cruise, travel issues, time of year (everyone says August is not the best time to go), vacation time, etc. Knowing my kids as I do, I would hate to book something and find out when we get there that all they want to do is play in the H2O zone (I can stay in the Caribbean for that!).

I have to agree with you that if it is decision between taking the kids or going on your own and save money... then you might want to go on your own- since Europe is expensive in the summer.

I did do the Western Med with my son (age 6 at the time) in late July of 2007. I had a fantastic time. He only got off the ship in Naples and Dubrovnik. The rest of the time he stayed onboard while we did some excursions. The Fun Factory on Celebrity is too much fun! It was great for me because I am a single parent and HAVE to take my son. Not many options. My parents were with me and we enjoyed many nice formal dinners with my son content to be with the other kids in the Fun Factory. So a goodtime was had by all.

If your kids are 11 and 7 as of your cruise- they certainly will have great memories and get them fired up about the many exciting places you can explore. I say do your own thing- there are taxis and trains. You don't need to do ship tours. That way you can come and go as you please. So many wonderful palaces, forts, castles, ruins in Europe. These are the things that kids like.

If you don't want them too interested in the ship- do a smaller ship with fewer amenities and forewarn them that this isn't a Caribbean, ship centered cruise. That's what I am doing this time... we are doing Holland America because I know that there aren't that many things onboard to interest kids- but enough to content my son... there is the video arcade, the children's program, freshwater pools but its not a floating theme park.

Also, if you do Europe... make sure to spend one or two nights on land pre or post cruise so that they get more of the flavor of Europe. We are actually doing 10 nights on land post cruise and are staying in places like Merano Itay (not Murano), Salzburg and Versailles where kids can run and play and ride bikes. Also should be a bit cooler there in summer.

Cruises that sail out of Venice are thrilling!

I have to agree with you that if it is decision between taking the kids or going on your own and save money... then you might want to go on your own- since Europe is expensive in the summer.

I did do the Western Med with my son (age 6 at the time) in late July of 2007. I had a fantastic time. He only got off the ship in Naples and Dubrovnik. The rest of the time he stayed onboard while we did some excursions. The Fun Factory on Celebrity is too much fun! It was great for me because I am a single parent and HAVE to take my son. Not many options. My parents were with me and we enjoyed many nice formal dinners with my son content to be with the other kids in the Fun Factory. So a goodtime was had by all.

If your kids are 11 and 7 as of your cruise- they certainly will have great memories and get them fired up about the many exciting places you can explore. I say do your own thing- there are taxis and trains. You don't need to do ship tours. That way you can come and go as you please. So many wonderful palaces, forts, castles, ruins in Europe. These are the things that kids like.

If you don't want them too interested in the ship- do a smaller ship with fewer amenities and forewarn them that this isn't a Caribbean, ship centered cruise. That's what I am doing this time... we are doing Holland America because I know that there aren't that many things onboard to interest kids- but enough to content my son... there is the video arcade, the children's program, freshwater pools but its not a floating theme park.

Also, if you do Europe... make sure to spend one or two nights on land pre or post cruise so that they get more of the flavor of Europe. We are actually doing 10 nights on land post cruise and are staying in places like Merano Itay (not Murano), Salzburg and Versailles where kids can run and play and ride bikes. Also should be a bit cooler there in summer.

Cruises that sail out of Venice are thrilling!

Rebecca, if it's not rude to ask, what do you do for a living that you can take that much time at once? I get 4 weeks vacation (I'm a paralegal for a mid sized law firm in NJ) plus 2 weeks personal days but dh doesn't get that much by far so we can't do the longer cruises out of the Med (or even tack that many days on front/back). I love to hear stories of people who are able to take longer cruises and add land days to really experience these destinations.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I guess I'll wait until the Caribbean rates come out and then compare. And of course, with oil prices soaring and the dollar falling, it makes everything more expensive.

you aren't being rude. I work in a restaurant and my father gave us the gift of the cruise. The land portion is on my own dime!

Fortuneately, my job is very flexible and it is either put my son in camps all summer or take more time off in the summer when he is out of school.

I agree with you about the falling dollar and I doubt I'll be going back to Europe after this trip- so that's why I am staying longer. It takes a long time to get there and back and fortuneately I can afford to stay longer.

If I was faced with buying the plane tickets, the cruise, the train passes and such- it would be prohibitive. But the plane tickets and cruise portion were a gift.

My father isn't going on the trip. I was invited earlier this year to go on a 25 day trip to South America with my father and stepmother but I couldn't get off work at that time and I wouldn't and couldn't leave my son for 25 days. So instead, my father asked me what I would like to do and I chose the Greek/ Turkey cruise. I know... spoiled!

Oh, Rebecca, what a wonderful gift to get. I can certainly understand not wanting to leave your son for 25 days but how lovely of your father to pay for your cruise and airfare as a replacement.

And so lucky that you can take the time to go with your son. I work full time and my boys are in camp for the summer...older one is going to sleep away camp for 6 weeks and the younger one is going to daycamp for 7 weeks. We'll take a vacation during August between the end of camp and the beginning of school.

I really wish there was a shorter Med cruise that we might be able to take and maybe only add a day or so on to the land portion.

I wouldn't book too many excursions for kids. ... do the hop on hop off bus (takes 2.5 to circumnavigate the city if you don't get off) Good overview of the city. In Venice- go it alone. The whole city is one big museum. The Doge's Palace has a "hidden treasures" tour. You can buy the tickets there. ... If you do a gondola ride- do one in the early morning or at sunset (as opposed to afternoon- hot!). ... They will really like seeing the "guiloteen"!

We always try to mix kid friendly excursions on all of our trips. Some of these are available through the cruise line. On our European cruises, we have been bike riding, done speed boat tours, gone river rafting, and visited amusement/theme parks. The key is to mix it up even if we miss some of the sites we would like to see.

As has been stated, the hop-on hop-off bus is a good way to see the major sites in a city (even if some are only from the outside). Our kids especially like siting outside on the upper deck if the weather is cooperating.

Oh, Rebecca, what a wonderful gift to get. I can certainly understand not wanting to leave your son for 25 days but how lovely of your father to pay for your cruise and airfare as a replacement.

And so lucky that you can take the time to go with your son. I work full time and my boys are in camp for the summer...older one is going to sleep away camp for 6 weeks and the younger one is going to daycamp for 7 weeks. We'll take a vacation during August between the end of camp and the beginning of school.

I really wish there was a shorter Med cruise that we might be able to take and maybe only add a day or so on to the land portion.

I wouldn't ordinarily say this... because I hate taking kids out of school for trips. But you will save alot of money by booking a cruise to the Mediterranean off season. Spring time is especially cheap. There aren't many cruise ships in the Med before Easter but Costa does sail the Med year round and their prices are reasonable.

I know its a big nut to crack to go to Europe. I have taken my kids there a few times .My older son and I did England in 1994 and we stayed with family- relatively cheap, I also did a trip with him in 2002 for about $ 5000 on land in Italy. That trip included air, train passes, food, lodging and souviners for 10 nights. The dollar was strong then. Same trip would be at least $ 1000 more now. My Dad took us all to Switzerland in 2003 and the Swiss Franc exchange rate was hideous. It literally made me ill to spend money in Switzerland. If Dad hadn't paid for the trip- no way could I afford it!

I did a Transatlantic in 2005 and that was really reasonable. It was $1200 per person for a balcony stateroom for 14 days! The airfare back was $ 600 per person. So you may want to consider one of them. I did Celebrity Millenium with stops in San Juan, St. Thomas, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Malaga and Barcelona.

I know it is hard to take kids out of school off season but if they are doing Europe- I think teachers understand.

Archived