how much sunscreen do you pack?

OnTheBrink

We'll be on a 10 day cruise, with a day in Ft. Lauderdale before that. There are 4 of us and we all need sunscreen (me least of all, but I am terrified of cancer!). So, for me, dh, 7 yo daughter and 3.5 yo son, how much sunscreen should I pack? I don't want to pack way more than I need, but I also don't want to run out. I imagine it's expensive in the ship store, and possibly something they'd run out of.

A good rule of thumb is one ounce per person per application. So, for your family if you believe you will apply twoce per day, let's say... 2(times)x4(people)= 8 ounce per day x 11 days = 88 ounces for the trip.

There are 4 of us too; and during the summer we take a couple trips that have us in the sun all day. When we are in the sun all day I always plan one bottle per day. And we usually use it all. I also pack a different type for our faces; one bottle for the whole trip.

You might also want to look at the thread on swim shirts - we only put sunblock on DS's arms, legs, neck and face, and the shirts/suits protects the rest. He's 8, and very fair, and has yet to get any burn at all, in large part due to his living in those shirts all summer.

Thank you for all the responses!

You might also want to look at the thread on swim shirts - we only put sunblock on DS's arms, legs, neck and face, and the shirts/suits protects the rest. He's 8, and very fair, and has yet to get any burn at all, in large part due to his living in those shirts all summer.

Both of my kids wear the shirts, which are marvelous!

We use the shirts too, and we use spray sunscreen and the face sticks. My kids are 6 and 3 and both have white blonde hair and are extremely fair. I will pack at least 7 bottles for our 7 day trip, and probably 2 face sticks. That is how much we go through in a week every summer at Lake Powell.

I imagine it's expensive in the ship store, and possibly something they'd run out of.

Or you could be like me and run out on a port day and the ship stores are closed so I was forced to pay $17.99 for some in port :eek:

The airline regs make it so hard to pack extra things like lots of sunscreen. Everything like that needs to go into checked luggage (carryon must be 3oz) and I am always afraid of it busting open and pouring all over our clothes (an irational fear because I put them in ziplocks too)

Or you could be like me and run out on a port day and the ship stores are closed so I was forced to pay $17.99 for some in port :eek:

The airline regs make it so hard to pack extra things like lots of sunscreen. Everything like that needs to go into checked luggage (carryon must be 3oz) and I am always afraid of it busting open and pouring all over our clothes (an irational fear because I put them in ziplocks too)

Oh, I am very glad we live in Florida and drive to the ports. It makes it all so much easier! But I do pack it all in ziplocks to save on the mess.

I'm actually thinking this time of packing it all in ziplocks and then packing all that (toiletries) in a sterlite box and setting the whole thing in my suitcase. It would serve as a double barrier for leaks, and it would help me stay organized (both in packing and in the cabin).

Just adding to the ziplock idea. We also use duct tape over the tops of bottles. A can of hairspray lost it's cover and the contents sprayed all over everything else in the bag. I usually pack a few things in each ziplock. I order some of my hair products online and it's always delivered with a sticky but easy to remove tape. So now all shampoos, conditioners, sunscreens etc get taped and then put into a ziplock! Gotta love that duct tape!

This also reminds me to make sure we have enough sunblock!

Just a warning... I burned like a lobster using the "spray-on" suncreen (spf 45neutrogena) in the Carribean on 2 different occasions. (Yes, I'm a surgeon and I am THAT stupid...) Here's the problem... These islands can be quite windy and only a portion of what is sprayed actually sticks on the skin. Now that I have finally learned, here are my suggestions...

1. Buy a minimum of spf 30. I actually recommend 45 or 60 for kids, my patients, and myself. (However studies show that over 30 probably isn't that much more effective, so I try not to discourage 30.)

2. Buy waterproof sunscreen that is a lotion consistency. Remember to put in on the ears, feet, and other less thought about areas. (We like the two major name brand's "sport" version the most. We burned bad with a generic one time!)

3. Wear sunproof clothing where possible (shirts and shorts).

4. Wear a hat! (My least favorite...)

5. Buy some lip balm/chapstick with sunscreen as well.

Oh, and for 2 adults, we take at least 3 full bottles for a 7 day cruise! (Usually my husband sneaks another bottle in his bag as well.)

Hope this helps...

Just a warning... I burned like a lobster using the "spray-on" suncreen (spf 45neutrogena) in the Carribean on 2 different occasions.

I mentioned that here before and everyone disagreed with me!!!!! I am glad I am just not going crazy. :eek: ;)

Whenever we take spray on sunscreen we burn. When we take the thick cream, we are fine. And we reapply often. AND, we applied the spray 30 minutes before (as directed) in the cabin before we left. But we still got burned.

So now I only take the lotions that have zinc and are a physical block, not a chemical block like the sprays. :)

We love the spray suntan lotions. We used Coppertone Sport SPF50 spray on in the blue can on our eastern caribbean cruise last June with no burning. Make sure you spray it on before you leave your cabin and you will have a good base. We reapplied after swimming or snorkelling just to be careful. We brought 8 cans with us, gotta love the 2 packs at BJ's.:D

If you have kids that are allergic to a lot of sunscreens like I am, Coppertone Sport has the same ingredients as their water babies line and doesn't cause issues, for me at least, like No Ad and Bull Frog do.

I usually figure that I will go through 1 bottle/can every 2-3 days, depending on what we're doing. Less if there are more on ship days, more if we're wandering around a port of call in the hot sun. For a 7 day cruise, I usually bring 4 bottles/cans for myself. Then again I am super pale/sensitive to the sun. In any case, you'd rather have too much than too little! :)

And don't forget the aloe, just in case. That is more expensive on board/in port than sunscreen!

Would you say a regular size bottle of the spray stuff (6 oz) lasts as long as a regular size bottle of the lotion stuff (8 oz)?

No, definitely not. You go through more with the spray. However, for me, it's worth it. I don't get burned with the Coppertone Sport Spray. They say the spray is better because you don't reduce the effectiveness when rubbing it in. Whatever works for you. I don't like the lotion because I always manage to miss a spot...doesn't happen as easily with the spray. Plus the lotions are a pain to reapply. Not all sprays are created equally. I've used Banana Boat and Neutrogena, gotten in the water, and had an oil slick around me. The Coppertone doesn't do that. Again, whatever works for you. Nothing wrong with either type, as long as it works for you.

I know the OP isn't flying, but for the rest of us... don't forget and put the sunscreen in your carry-on like me! I have lost sunscreen on two recent trips because I have put it in for the last day and then forgotten before we went to security!:o

I have given up on the aerosol spray kind of sunscreen. I have to take the kids outside the room to spray it on so the whole room doesn't stink and get covered in it. PLus, on our last cruise, DH and I both burned the sides of our legs because we sprayed front and back, not getting the edges!:eek: That was painful and stripe-y.

I actually like the squirt-bottle type. I don't get quite as much goop on my hands and the kids help rub it in. I definitely get the special kind for faces after DS burned his nose bad one summer.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Just for the record, we did apply the spray in our room as well several minutes before going out. And, we sprayed so generously that there was a "cloud" in the room! (In hindsight, maybe we should have tried the Coppertone instead of the Neutrogena...)

However, I think the major issues come with the "reapplication" process. This is where I'm convinced that the spray primarily gets blown away. I'm sure it works for many, but just doesn't cut it for us. (We are usually snorkelling off of boats, which makes the wind a significant factor.)

I didn't know if we could mention brand names or not on the boards (which is why I didn't in the last post), but I totally agree that the Coppertone Sport is a great brand to use and is not as irritating as Bullfrog and NoAd. Plus, I burn with the highest NoAd made...Tried this a few times before I believed it as well!

My husband will disagree with this part, but I also like the Bannana Boat Sport lotion. It smells good ("girly" as he says) AND works! Because of this, I carry a couple of tubes of each on every cruise and land trip we do and both of us are happy. Plus, we have really bought into the "shirts" since they work so well!

The last cruise that I took w/DH, DS-9, and DS-11 I brought 5 large bottles of sunscreen and a tube of facial sunscreen (Neutrogena ultra sheer 45), and a bottle of spray. We used almost all of it. The spray comes in handy for bald spots and hair parts and for quick touch ups for sandy children. I agree with pp that sprays are not good for general use. We also use swim shirts for DS's. My kids use goggles and masks, and need to reapply often, as the goggles rub off the sunscreen. We apply sunscreen before we even leave the cabin. The waterproof sunscreens take several minutes to bond to your skin. It is also too easy to miss a spot if you do it outside. I have seen MANY cruisers with a streak of bright red where they missed with the sunscreen. I think that it looks absolutely rediculous! Thankfully, my kids have never had a bad burn as I did as a child. I figure that if they get skin cancer later in life, it won't be my fault!

Archived