new - embarrassing question about spas

I'm new to this so bear with me, please. I will be cruising soon and would really like to have a message on the ship. Unfortunately, I'm 5'6" and weigh 205 lb, female. I'm wondering if any of you are built like I am and if the spa people treated you unfavorably. Please, I don't need anyone telling me to lose weight. I hear that enough as it is. I just want to be treated like I'm a feeling, caring, human being. I would love to have a massage but not if I'm made to feel badly about my size.

They are always pushing weight loss :mad: standard practice no matter what your size.

I do go in for a treatment now and then....but, don't get sucked into their sales pitches. (They also try not to honor coupons)

Many years ago, I was on Princess and a little thinner at 108lbs (5'1) and was told I needed to lose 12 pounds and they had a treatment I could buy to help. (I did not buy:rolleyes: ) If that wasn't a script treatment I don't know what would be!

When you go for your first appointment at the spa, you will be given a clipboard with a questionnaire on it, asking all sorts of health questions and then some more general questions. In my experience, you are not obligated to answer all of these---I answer them rather vaguely now. I took a good tip from another Cruise Critic member, and I now put a request on my form to not have any sales pitches for products or other services, and it has been successful.

Perhaps that was me (sure, I'll flatter myself). On the questionnaire, they have a line asking what you want for your treatment. I always put, "relaxation, with no sales pitch." I had one masseur tell me that they don't "sell," they "advise." So I told him I didn't want any advice, either.:)

I once had a massage in Vancouver from a former cruise ship masseur. He said that their compensation is heavily dependent on sales, which was the main reason he left after his first contract - most of the stuff just smells good without imparting any real benefit. And you can buy the products at Nordstrom, so why waste your duty-free allowance on it?:rolleyes:

I try to find a place in port to get my treatments - although I've had some wonderful massages/hot stones/seaweed wraps onboard, the prices are just ghastly (and they've gone up in the last couple of months). I can get a great one hour massage for $50 in LA or $25 in Mazatlan, so I can't justify $110+ for 50 minutes.

Just wanted to thank every one for their thoughts on this topic - Like the OP I have to take large amounts of steroids due to a chronic disease and without them I certainly wouldnt be here let alone be able to cruise. I get massages at home and have a brilliant masseuse who works with people with illnesses. On my previous cruise I was too self-conscious to get a massage so I got a manicure instead. While I dont think I would pay the cruise prices (the US dollar kills us - but at the moment it is the best ever!) I feel more confident to have spa treatments if the right price comes up.

Thanks!

I don't know if this advice was already given...

I'm plus size myself and been stuck with the on size fits all bathrodes:( and felt uncomfortable because they do not fit all:rolleyes:

I finally got up the nerve to ask for a plus size one when I was on one of my cruises when I was pregnant, it was no big deal. Now I ask for one all the time and feel more comfortable.

• 1 month later...

Hi :)

Going to be a first time cruiser this fall.

I was looking at webshots at other folks vacation pics of the boat I'll be on and happened to see where someone had taken a "photo" of the spa menu for my boat back in 2006.

Do they still offer Port Day special prices like were shown back then?

and from everyone's spa experience when is a "good time" to get a massage on a port day? First and then jump off the boat later or go do the port and race back to get one later in the afternoon?

and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the people in this thread that offered the info about help with the sales pitch. I just want to relax and will tip more generously to compensate for not wanting the sales pitch.

I appreciate the help,

LP

And, they can't sell me anything because I can't hear. ;)

One thing to keep in mind- set up some way to communicate with your masseuse/masseur- they usually ask at the very beginning if the pressure is ok or if you would like it firmer or lighter. Don't be afraid to tell them if you want to do something differently.

My husband and I had the couple's massage on our last cruise and it was great! So relaxing that he fell asleep (and snored). The masseuses and I laughed a little, then I fell asleep (and snored) and it was my husband's turn to share a little giggle with them.:o He didn't use to like to be touched by strangers but he changed his mind after this- it was HEAVENLY!

Enjoy!

I agree it is important to be aware of the sales pitch; I just ask how much the products cost and say I need to discuss with my DH.

I did enjoy the mini-massage and facial treatment I had on the Jewel last year; it was a port day special for $79.00. Since my DH had gone on a horse-riding excursion, I decided to treat myself and I took along my camera. While I was swaddled in a linens with my hair wrapped in a towel (to keep the cream off of it), cream on my face and cucumber slices on my eyes, I asked the lady to take a couple pictures of me. My DH burst out laughing when we got home and I uploaded our cruise photos. Worth the effort of taking my camera along; heck it was my "excursion".:D

Kathy

First let me say I am definitely FLUFFY. (I love that). Next I will tell you I've been getting massages for YEARS from professional massage therapists. Put your mind at ease. I have actually asked different thereapists and they have told me they would actually rather do a 'fluffy' person who has some muscle tone anyday over a boney skinny person without any muscle definition. So do not worry. Also, the folks on the ships that do the personal services will not say anything to you or look at you funny if for no other reason, they want TIPS. Go, enjoy and have a great time!

Erika

None of you are alone, and I've toyed with getting massages before, but always been worried that a)they'll unintentionally hurt me (the one massage I've had hurt SO long afterwards! :() b)they'll moan the whole time about how big I am (or sigh, or whatever), and c) I never know what protocol is... how much to leave on, etc. This thread is awesomely helpful.

I'm new to this so bear with me, please. I will be cruising soon and would really like to have a message on the ship. Unfortunately, I'm 5'6" and weigh 205 lb, female. I'm wondering if any of you are built like I am and if the spa people treated you unfavorably. Please, I don't need anyone telling me to lose weight. I hear that enough as it is. I just want to be treated like I'm a feeling, caring, human being. I would love to have a massage but not if I'm made to feel badly about my size.

No one will say a word and you'll have a wonderful massage :)

I really like this thread also. I read it when it first posted. I sooo desire a massage. My problem being I lost 125 lbs about 4 years ago and my body is not, and never will be tight. If you have ever heard someone say they almost like their body with the weight better than without, I can vouch for them. This is my 3rd cruise and I have never had the nerve to get a massage. My husband tells me he is going to buy it and all I have to do is go. I told him do not do that. I probably wouldn't go.

Archived