Galveston rental car drop off from Hobby

Pumbaamd

We are on Voyager 2/22/09 for the Mardi Gras cruise. We plan to fly into Hobby via Southwest (the only nonstop flight from DC/BWI to Hobby). We plan to rent a car at Hobby one way to Galveston and spend two days pre-cruise in Galveston. Would be nice to have the car for 2 days in town and drop it off as close as we can to the sailing. What are the rental drop off deals in Galveston? What is the better car rental to choose?

Thanks! We appreciate your help.

Rick and Deirdra

well, enterprise is not open on Sundays in Galveston, so you would pay an extra day. Hertz is open at the terminal, but not for drop offs, only for pick ups??? So someone said you pay an extra day that was as well. We used Hertz coming back from our cruise and did the paperwork there at the terminal and then waited 45 minutes for the shuttle and then picked up our car and enjoyed a nice day in Gal/hou area.

We have a car booked from Bush airport to Galveston one-way, with drop-off in Galveston on a Sunday. They assured us there was not a drop off fee and that we would be charged the one-day rental because it is in the same "zone" as the airport. I specifically asked about this and also have a written confirmation. They said I would drop the keys in a box. I will have to call a cab to get to the ship as the drop off is three miles away from the pier.

It was too much of a hassle to rent a car on a Sunday for our return trip back to the airport, so I have booked Galveston Limousines one way from the pier to IAH in Houston.

Hope it turns out OK.

Leigh

We have a car booked from Bush airport to Galveston one-way, with drop-off in Galveston on a Sunday. They assured us there was not a drop off fee and that we would be charged the one-day rental because it is in the same "zone" as the airport. I specifically asked about this and also have a written confirmation. They said I would drop the keys in a box. I will have to call a cab to get to the ship as the drop off is three miles away from the pier.

It was too much of a hassle to rent a car on a Sunday for our return trip back to the airport, so I have booked Galveston Limousines one way from the pier to IAH in Houston.

Hope it turns out OK.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

Would you mind telling me what rental car company you are using? We are also looking for a one way rental with drop-off in Galveston. We might even use Hertz with their $60 drop-off fee :confused: if we can't find anything else but would like to avoid that if possible. Your arrangement sounds like what we have been trying to find. It's such a shame that they charge a drop-off fee when you know they can rent the car to the passengers getting off the ship before you get on. (or maybe they can't rent it out until they go through and clean it again) Also if you drop off your luggage off at the ship before returning your car you can then catch the bus to the pier for $1.00 per person.

We are using Enterprise. I called their office in the Houston (Bush) airport directly. I had already tried to book online but was not successful. My impression is that Enterprise and Enterprise one-way are two separate branches of the same company. The price is less than $30!! It really sounds too good to be true! That's why I asked for a written confirmation which they faxed to me. One way on the limo shuttle is $40 pp. This really works out great for us because we are flying in one day early and want to see a little of Galveston and drive to our hotel. Even if we wanted to we can't book a car for the return trip because their office is closed on Sunday.

Looked into Hertz rental for the return trip but the price is more expensive than the limo shuttle, and we just want to go straight to the airport from the ship. Also there is the problem of picking up the car when the office is closed.

Hope this helps and you are successful in getting your cars lined up.

Leigh

Shadowtiger,

I reread your post after I entered mine. You mention a $1 bus that goes to the pier. Do you have any details on this? Thanks,

Leigh

Thanks for you reply Leigh. Check out http://www.galvestonislandtransit and it will show the routes and stops. I called them and they said the green line bus stops right next to our hotel and will take us to the pier for $1.00 per person. We won't have our luggage as I said so the bus will be convenient for us (don't know if it allows luggage other than carry-ons etc.) but it's a city bus/tour bus and does make some stops along the way so it won't be faster than a taxi but I'll take it. It's a hop-on hop-off system that runs every hour on Sat. starting at 9:00 am so if we forget anything on the way to the ship we can hop off at a store and then get back on without another fee. If we can get the same deal on a rental car as you we will be all set to go and save quite a bit of $$$. Otherwise we'll be returning the rental car back to the airport and then getting a ride all the way back down to Galveston again :confused: If you call and let them know where you are dropping the car off they will tell you which bus line to take as they have about 7 different routes. They were very helpful with planning our route and knew the area so I just told them what hotel we were staying at and they told us what bus to take. Good Luck. Jean

We are using Enterprise. I called their office in the Houston (Bush) airport directly. I had already tried to book online but was not successful. My impression is that Enterprise and Enterprise one-way are two separate branches of the same company. The price is less than $30!! It really sounds too good to be true! That's why I asked for a written confirmation which they faxed to me. One way on the limo shuttle is $40 pp. This really works out great for us because we are flying in one day early and want to see a little of Galveston and drive to our hotel. Even if we wanted to we can't book a car for the return trip because their office is closed on Sunday.

Looked into Hertz rental for the return trip but the price is more expensive than the limo shuttle, and we just want to go straight to the airport from the ship. Also there is the problem of picking up the car when the office is closed.

Leigh

Be careful with Enterprise. I did the same thing in January with the lock box. When I got home a check of the credit card showed they charged me twice as much as the quote. An email to the manager got me the credit.

Leigh

Leigh, I can't thank you enough for sharing your info with me. I just called Enterprise and received almost the same deal. $31 something. I have now canceled my $82.99 hertz rental. Thank you so much. Any chance your cruise out of Galveston will be on the Voyager from on the 27th of April? If so, I owe you a drink. ;) Thanks again for taking the time to save me $$$

Be careful with Enterprise. I did the same thing in January with the lock box. When I got home a check of the credit card showed they charged me twice as much as the quote. An email to the manager got me the credit.

Thanks bilyclub, I will certainly check and save my email for the contracted price.

Shadowtiger, I'm glad you were able to get the Enterprise reservation. I will on the April 6 Voyager sailing, so I can let you know how the rental turned out.

I'm pretty sure that I got the idea from somewhere on these boards. Now that the search feature is down, it's harder to backtrack where I've been.

Keep us posted on how everything went for you when you get back.

Leigh

... Now that the search feature is down, it's harder to backtrack where I've been...

Per Laura's Announcement:

... The main search link on the homepage (and navigation bar) of the boards has been disabled for the short term. HOWEVER, the search function will work at both the FORUM and THREAD levels...

Only the main Search feature is down. You can still use the Search this Forum and Search this Thread features.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Shadowtiger, I'm glad you were able to get the Enterprise reservation. I will on the April 6 Voyager sailing, so I can let you know how the rental turned out.

I'm pretty sure that I got the idea from somewhere on these boards. Now that the search feature is down, it's harder to backtrack where I've been.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, I'll be looking forward to your review. Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Leigh

Leigh

Yes thanks for sharing this info. I called Enterprise and was able to get a car for $11 a day even with taxes and fees it was only $19.66.:) However I was told that the Galveston location did not have a drop box and the car had to be returned by 11:30am to avoid charges till Monday. Does you written confirmation indicate that it can be returned on Sunday for no extra charge? I may have to call back tomorrow and see if they give me a different answer. BTW...I'm on the April 6th sailing also.

Yes thanks for sharing this info. I called Enterprise and was able to get a car for $11 a day even with taxes and fees it was only $19.66.:) However I was told that the Galveston location did not have a drop box and the car had to be returned by 11:30am to avoid charges till Monday. Does you written confirmation indicate that it can be returned on Sunday for no extra charge? I may have to call back tomorrow and see if they give me a different answer. BTW...I'm on the April 6th sailing also.

Sorry to barge in on your message uninvited :eek: but I thought I might be able to help. We have an Enterprise car for $31 something for 2 days. We are picking up the car on Sat at the airport and dropping it off Sun in Galveston just before getting on the ship, however, as they are closed on Sunday they won't actually be accepting the car till Monday so we have to pay for the second day even though we won't have it. Works for us as the price is soooo cheap even for the 2 days. There is no drop-off fee (we already have our confirmation and total price with drop-off in Galveston) The only condition was we had to call Galveston office first and request they accept drop-off on Sunday. We did and they did so we called back the airport office which had our car on hold while we called and booked it.

Looking at my confirmation, I don't see a total price, which is disturbing. But the price I was quoted and have written down is $23.50. I've talked to them twice, and this rate was confirmed over the phone (famous last words).

They faxed me a sheet that says "Cruise Drop-Off and Pick-Up Instructions"

It looks very straightforward. It says, "If you are returning a car on Sunday, please park vehicle in the back parking lot and bring keys to drop box located in the front of the branch."

The drop-off is at 5919 Broadway, which is about 4 miles from the cruise terminal. They have enclosed three phone numbers for cab companies. They say that they charge from $10 to $20 to take you from Enterprise to the terminal.

Leigh

Looking at my confirmation, I don't see a total price, which is disturbing. But the price I was quoted and have written down is $23.50. I've talked to them twice, and this rate was confirmed over the phone (famous last words).

They faxed me a sheet that says "Cruise Drop-Off and Pick-Up Instructions"

It looks very straightforward. It says, "If you are returning a car on Sunday, please park vehicle in the back parking lot and bring keys to drop box located in the front of the branch."

The drop-off is at 5919 Broadway, which is about 4 miles from the cruise terminal. They have enclosed three phone numbers for cab companies. They say that they charge from $10 to $20 to take you from Enterprise to the terminal.

Leigh

If you drop off your luggage before returning the car you can take the bus over for $1.00 per person. That's what we are doing. Don't feel like standing in line at the pier and the bus makes stops along the way if you want to hop-on hop-off for no fee. It stops right at our hotel which is very close to the Enterprise drop-off lot

If your flying into Hobby....I've found Hertz to be the best for rentals...They have one day rentals that are reasonable...and a shuttle every half hour....and their location is right inside the termianl...If your on the Conquest that is. Not sure about the other terminal.....Round trip to and from Hobby for a rental is about 200.00....Not bad at all. Just be sure to sign up at hertz dot com...get your registration number...then call them...Unlimited mileage also!! It just took me several hours to figure this out...as I had to call several places...So I thought I'd pass it along!

If your flying into Hobby....I've found Hertz to be the best for rentals...They have one day rentals that are reasonable...and a shuttle every half hour....and their location is right inside the termianl...If your on the Conquest that is. Not sure about the other terminal.....Round trip to and from Hobby for a rental is about 200.00....Not bad at all. Just be sure to sign up at hertz dot com...get your registration number...then call them...Unlimited mileage also!! It just took me several hours to figure this out...as I had to call several places...So I thought I'd pass it along!

Wow....you paid alot. For the $200 you could just as easily take a taxi. I'm confused as to how this is such a good deal. I rented a car from Hertz for my return trip to IAH and I am being charged $64.57 including all taxes and fees. Hobby is even closer. My Enterprise rental for the trip from IAH to Galveston is only $39.66 for a two day rental as they charge for Sunday as the office is closed.

Sandie, I'm with you. $200.00 :eek: Our 2-day rental from hobby on the 26th to Galveston is only $31.00. NO DROP_OFF FEE, in witting and confirmed with email. :) That extra $169.00 will go a long ways on the cruise.

Hey....mines $8 more than you.:eek: :p :D LOL....IAH probably charges more airport tax than Hobby. Yes...that extra $169 is 24 or so cruise drinks.:D

we just did the rental car deal this past week picked up the car from enterprise IAH on march 22nd rate was 54.00 for the two days total .

for the return trip walked over to the carnival terminal rented car from hertz for 62.00 for the one day return to IAH . they have a shuttle that will take you & your bags to the car lot .

we just did the rental car deal this past week picked up the car from enterprise IAH on march 22nd rate was 54.00 for the two days total .

for the return trip walked over to the carnival terminal rented car from hertz for 62.00 for the one day return to IAH . they have a shuttle that will take you & your bags to the car lot .

Hi, With your Enterprise rental did you pick up at IAH airport and drop off the car in Galveston? Were they open when you returned the car? I know if they are closed you can still drop off Sun but will be charged till Monday. No problem with such low rates. Also did you rent an economy or a higher priced car for $54.00. We have an economy for $31.00 with our discounts. Sorry for so many ??? but a few of us on the Voyager 4/27/08 are still looking for a way to get from the airport to the pier. I already have Enterprise but it seems some think the price, with no drop-off fee is a mistake. :confused: I was happy to hear you had about the same deal and everything went smooth which means our deal was not mistake. Would you mind if I copied your reply (if you reply) and pasted it to the Voyager site for the rest of the CC looking for cheap transportation to the pier. Your recent experience will assure them and they should then feel safe booking with Enterprise. Thanks, Jean

we rented mid range cars from both companys . we did pay the rental for the car from enterprise until they opened up on monday AM , but the rate was good and having a vehicle to drive around for the day on sat sure helped . our luggage was lost by the airline and we went to walmart to pick up a few things .

the enterprise office is closed on sunday , but they have a key drop box by the front door . you have to call for a taxi to pick you up , be warned the taxi guy will tell you 10 mins for a pick up on the phone look for the taxi about an hour later . I would call on the way to galveston if you are coming in on sunday am . the office is on the right hand side near the 61st street exit . I went up a couple of lights and turned around , filled up the car before we returned it .

the hertz office in the carnival terminal is only open from 9 to 12 on sunday mornings . keep this in mind when you get off the ship it was PITA to get off of Voyager on sunday AM and I was starting to sweat it as time was getting short before the hertz office closed .

any more ? for free to ask I will try to answer them .

Archived