Ship Tours or Independent?

brwneyedgirl72

We are sailing on the Star Princess in May and am very interested in whale watching while in Juneau. I have pre-booked the Princess whale watching shore ex, but am curious if we will be better off, or have a better experiece, with an independent tour. I know that we may save a few bucks doing it on our own, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

Anyone done both options and have a basis for comparrison?

We cruise every year and I've learned to do the bookings myself. Winds up being a little cheaper and not as crowded as ship excursions. In Ketchikan we are going with Family Air for float plane to Anan Bear Observatory, very easy to deal with and not available with Princess. In Juneau Harv and Marv Whale Watch, again very nice and easy to deal with and will drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier. Booked with Chillkoot Charters for the 7 hr. Train/Bus on White Pass in Skagway, received and email confirmation in a day. All are smaller groups and a little less expensive. You can find most everything on this site or somewhere on the internet!

I actually felt sorry for those who went whale watching with the cruise tour. They saw "nearly" as many whales as us - but their boat was PACKED!!! We went with Orca and could move around and view wherever we wanted. If you research this site, you'll find lots and lots of praise for both Orca and Harv & Marv.

We wanted to combine whale watching with a helicopter trip in Juneau. This is not possible using the "official" shore excursions, but was simple (and less expensive) to arrange by booking with Orca privately.

Whale-Watcher: Do you have their web address. The search engine is still down. Thanks!!

Chillkiit charters??

How did you find them? Have you used them before? I guess they have good reviews. The only thing that makes me nervous about using outside tours, if the bus taking you there breaks down, or ? and you miss the ship.. That just makes me a little nervous thinking about it. I want to do the white pass in skagway. Going on Princess for the first time and the first time to Skagway, so I really want to do this. Do you have an address?

Thanks

I would not book via the ship.

There several good orca tours in Juneau. We have booked and paid for our

for this summer. We look forward to this tour again. You find that

tours you book will not be over crowded like the ships tours. Just make

sure you understand the tours cancellation policy. Ask what happens if

your ship is late, or doesn't come to port for any unforeseen reason.

Chillkoot I meant

There are so many things to do in Skagway. We are most interested in either the whiterail or Skagway street car. Time and expense, we probably wouldn't do both, so just wanting input here. I did go to the chillkoot website, and they don't have prices there. WE are traveling 4 adults and 3 teenage boys 16-18. NOt sure which of any of these they would want to do? Any suggestions would be so appreciated.......

I would not book via the ship.

There several good orca tours in Juneau. We have booked and paid for our

for this summer. We look forward to this tour again. You find that

tours you book will not be over crowded like the ships tours. Just make

sure you understand the tours cancellation policy. Ask what happens if

your ship is late, or doesn't come to port for any unforeseen reason.

For clairfication- you are NOT likely to see orcas out of Juneau, actually rare event. The sightings here are humpbacks, close to 100% of the trips. One vender I highly recommend is Orca Enterprises, which probably is the reference above?

Chillkoot I meant

There are so many things to do in Skagway. We are most interested in either the whiterail or Skagway street car. Time and expense, we probably wouldn't do both, so just wanting input here. I did go to the chillkoot website, and they don't have prices there. WE are traveling 4 adults and 3 teenage boys 16-18. NOt sure which of any of these they would want to do? Any suggestions would be so appreciated.......

If you email Chilkoot you will get a quick reply with the prices. It's a great tour company. We used them for the rail/bus tour and it was terrific!

For clairfication- you are NOT likely to see orcas out of Juneau, actually rare event. The sightings here are humpbacks, close to 100% of the trips. One vender I highly recommend is Orca Enterprises, which probably is the reference above?
Yes, I did mean Orca Enterprises...left out the second word by mistake:) . They will transport us from their office to the whale watch, and from their to our helicopter excursion, and then back to the ship. A seamless package that will save us both money and time, and (weather and nature permitting) provide us with a higher quality experience.

Our orca watching excursion is planned for Victoria.

We are travelling on Radiance of the Seas on cruisetour #12. We are 2 couples and the guys want to Halibut fish. I noticed that Orca has halibut fishing. Has anyone gone fishing with them?

It's the one thing the men really want to do, so they want to do this in the best spot possible.

Thanks for the help. This is our 30th Anniversary trip and our first trip to Alaska.

Has anyone done the 3.5 hour tour on the white rail, compared to the 7 hour tour that does Yukon and lunch and the puppies? It is about $50. more to do the 7 hour tour. I am just wondering, if the extra time is too much time, or do you find it is worth it? I talked to the guy from chillkoot, and he seemed very nice. I will probably book through him rather than thru Princess, but just wondering about the difference besides just the time, if the longer one is that much better???

Has anyone done the 3.5 hour tour on the white rail, compared to the 7 hour tour that does Yukon and lunch and the puppies? It is about $50. more to do the 7 hour tour. I am just wondering, if the extra time is too much time, or do you find it is worth it? I talked to the guy from chillkoot, and he seemed very nice. I will probably book through him rather than thru Princess, but just wondering about the difference besides just the time, if the longer one is that much better???

We did the rail/bus trip where we took the train to Fraser and met our guide there for the bus trip into the Yukon and then back to Skagway. Our guide was terrific....very knowledgeable and enthusiastic! There were only about 8 people on our bus so it was very personalized. The buses aren't those huge tour buses. They probably have about a 20 person capacity. We highly recommend this tour.

By the way..sit on the left side of the train for the better view. You have the narration going up but not back so we felt by taking the train one way we weren't missing anything.

We did the rail/bus trip where we took the train to Fraser and met our guide there for the bus trip into the Yukon and then back to Skagway. Our guide was terrific....very knowledgeable and enthusiastic! There were only about 8 people on our bus so it was very personalized. The buses aren't those huge tour buses. They probably have about a 20 person capacity. We highly recommend this tour.

By the way..sit on the left side of the train for the better view. You have the narration going up but not back so we felt by taking the train one way we weren't missing anything.

Note on the side of the train to sit on -- it all depends if the tour takes the train on the way up or the way back. Chilkoot does both, just depends which day -- they have a schedule and can tell you which direction train travel will be on your port day.

Ride on the LEFT going UP, ride on the RIGHT going DOWN.

I did the 3.5 hour round-trip railroad excursion in 1999 and enjoyed it. However, I am doing the 7 hour tour this year -- takes you further & the bus portion provides access to route the rail trip can't take you. The bus also allows for random stops along the way.

You also mentioned worrying about missing the ship -- I would not worry with Chilkoot. From their FAQ: "We not only can assure you that you will make your ship's departure, we also guarantee passage to your next port of call if we are responsible for making you miss your ship. In all of our years of business we have not missed a ship yet!"

As for the streetcars, which you said you are considering -- I did this in 1999 and, personally, if I had to choose between the 3.5 hour rail plus the streetcars vs. the 7 hour rail/bus to Yukon, I would take the 7 hour hands-down. Back in 1999 it was my first cruise & I had 2 seniors with me, so ship tours were easiest since I was "in charge" & also didn't know anything about independent excursions.

-- Renée

We are travelling on Radiance of the Seas on cruisetour #12. We are 2 couples and the guys want to Halibut fish. I noticed that Orca has halibut fishing. Has anyone gone fishing with them?

It's the one thing the men really want to do, so they want to do this in the best spot possible.

QUOTE]

I suggest you contact fishing charters directly. Orca Enterprises does not run fishing tours that I know of?? Halibut fishing requires distance and timing usually. So look at vendor's out of Ketchikan, Hoonah and Juneau for your information on best location. Since you are on a cruisetour- you probably have no time in Seward??? A big gem to miss frankly, fishing is excellent out of here.

IF you want to see orcas, and they are in range. I aways go out on back to back tours, some vendors offer 1/2 price discounts for booking 2 trips. Since these tours know before they leave IF they are going to see orcas, they can spend a lot of time viewing. They use a network of local spotters. But, probably about 20-25 % of the trips don't see them.

Yes, I did mean Orca Enterprises...left out the second word by mistake:) . They will transport us from their office to the whale watch, and from their to our helicopter excursion, and then back to the ship. A seamless package that will save us both money and time, and (weather and nature permitting) provide us with a higher quality experience.

Which helicipter excursion are you going on and with what company?

Thanks.

Which helicipter excursion are you going on and with what company?

Thanks.

We are taking the 9am whale watch with Captain Larry/orca enterprises, and they work with coastal (I think). We are doing the shorter of the two glacier flightseeing/landing options, as we are also planning to take a misty fjord/glacier flightseeing tour in Ketchikan, and wanted to leave some time to take the Mount Roberts tram if it is a clear day. The Pilot's Choice through Temsco would have been my first choice if we were not planning whale watching for that port as well.

Archived