Candied ginger and thick towels...???

murphysmum

Hello all...

I've written in several threads about various excellent experiences on the Quest.

One thing that I never mentioned is that when I mentioned to the waiter in Aqualina that I was a bit sea sick, he asked the chef to make some candied ginger. I'd never had it before, but it actually seemed to work. If anyone knows how to make this, I'd love to know.

Totally different topic....The towels on the Quest were the thickest, most absorbent I've ever experienced anywhere. I've looked at Neiman's and Bloomingdale's and they have nothing to compare. Does anyone have any idea where it's possible to buy the thick towels (Egyptian cotton) provided by Azamara? The were amazing!

Thanks!

murphysmum

Hello all...

I've written in several threads about various excellent experiences on the Quest.

One thing that I never mentioned is that when I mentioned to the waiter in Aqualina that I was a bit sea sick, he asked the chef to make some candied ginger. I'd never had it before, but it actually seemed to work. If anyone knows how to make this, I'd love to know.

Totally different topic....The towels on the Quest were the thickest, most absorbent I've ever experienced anywhere. I've looked at Neiman's and Bloomingdale's and they have nothing to compare. Does anyone have any idea where it's possible to buy the thick towels (Egyptian cotton) provided by Azamara? The were amazing!

Thanks!

murphysmum

Hi Murphysmum !

I cant help you with the candied ginger. I know many Cruisers take Ginger pills with them on Cruises, and many have said they have worked very well. I use Sea Bands, and never had a problem with them.

As for the towels, we thought they were fantastic too. I would suggest you call Azamara's customer service or Captains Club, and perhaps they can tell you who their manufacturer is. You can also email Azamara at their website.

I hope this helps.

Thanks...

I will email Azamara directly.

I do know about ginger pills, but the way the chef shaved and sugar coated the fresh ginger root was SO delicious that I'd like to do it myself. Perhaps Azamara will tell that little secret as well.

Love Cruise Critic and your observations and advice are always helpful!

murphysmum;)

Hello all...

Thanks!

murphysmum

The towels were indeed a pleasure. I noticed they are from Turkey and comparable to towels we purchased recently at Restoration Hardware. (restorationhardware.com)

They are not cheap but they are very nice. You get a real workout just hoisting the bath sheet!

Bodger

Thanks...

I will email Azamara directly.

I do know about ginger pills, but the way the chef shaved and sugar coated the fresh ginger root was SO delicious that I'd like to do it myself. Perhaps Azamara will tell that little secret as well.

Love Cruise Critic and your observations and advice are always helpful!

murphysmum;)

Hi Murphysmum !

Thank you for your very nice comments. If you hear more about the Ginger Root item, I hope you will let us know. I am very curious about it myself. Good luck !

Hello...

RE: Towels...I have contacted Azamara and they are contacting the Quest directly to find the source of their great towels. I also suggested that they sell them on their gift web site. Bodger...Thanks for the tip about Restoration Hardware. I'll be near one next week and will check out their towels.

RE: Candied Ginger...At first, Azamara told me that the recipe was probably in a recipe book of Azamara recipies offered on the Culinary Gift site. However, it's not there. Customer Service is now checking with the Quest to see if the chef will share his recipe.

Will keep you posted.

murphysmum;)

Here it is..enjoy:)

1. Peel and thinly slice fresh ginger root.
  2. Place sliced ginger in a heavy saucepan.
  3. Cover with water.
  4. Cook gently until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain off water.

1. Add cooked ginger to an equal amount of sugar.
  2. Return ginger to saucepan.
  3. Add sugar and 3 Tablespoons water.
  4. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until ginger is transparent and liquid has almost evaporated.
  5. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until almost dry.
  6. Toss cooled ginger in sugar to coat.
  7. Store crystallized (candied) ginger in an airtight jar for up to 3 months.

Thank you so much for the candied ginger recipe!

I haven't heard back from Azamara, but your recipe looks like it would turn out exactly like the ginger I enjoyed so much.

I really appreciate your help! Yum!!

murphysmum;)

3. Cover with water.

Or just buy some in the health food store a lot quicker!!:D

3. Cover with water.

1. Add cooked ginger to an equal amount of sugar.
  2. Return ginger to saucepan.
  3. Add sugar and 3 Tablespoons water.
  4. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until ginger is transparent and liquid has almost evaporated.
  5. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until almost dry.
  6. Toss cooled ginger in sugar to coat.
  7. Store crystallized (candied) ginger in an airtight jar for up to 3 months.

I just saw a recipe on a famous Authors website, that was for "ginger lemonade" that was said to perk anybody up if suffering from flu, colds etc. Would probably have good effect on "Mal De Mar" also...trouble was it was sold from a restaurant, and they wouldn't give her an exact amount of each ingredient! Try a GOOGLE and maybe it would pop up. Sure would be easier to ingest as lemonade??

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like you have a great recipe for the candied ginger. However,

if you are near a Trader Joe's, they sell a great candied ginger.

I didn't know it was good for seasickness; I'll be sure to take some

on my 7/7 Journey Baltic cruise. They also work well in cous cous and

salads.

Guest superradiationboy

Just came off Quest a month ago... I remember someone was asking about their really thick towels, so paid attention on the brand. ;)

They are made by Baltic Linen Co. and the specific style is called Chelsea. Here is the link:

http://www.balticlinen.com/spa/towels_chelsea.html

The website doesn't provide immediate info on how to order, but I assume you can contact them. But since they put that kind of towels under Hospitality, you might have to order a big batch...?

Archived