FINAL EMBARKATION: Can we be the LAST to leave the ship?

Gunga Jim

Our Fall 2008 RCCL (Radiance) Panama Canal cruise ends in Ft. Lauderdale; coming into port at 7:00 AM. Our flight home leaves Ft. Lauderdale airport that afternoon at 2:30. Is there any reason why we can't hang back and be the last to leave the ship instead of mingling around with the crowds waiting for our number to be called? If we hang back, do we jeopardize being separated from our luggage, losing it, or causing any kind of commotion with the ship staff or custom/port authorities? We'd rather sit somewhere peaceful on the ship instead of sitting in the airport for hours waiting for our flight to leave. We plan on using a taxi instead of prearranged transport to get to the airport. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! --Jim :)

First all you need to do is get the last color of baggage tags (on our last cruise they were white). You do have to get out of your cabin by 8:00 am I believe. Go have a nice breakfast and then wait up on deck until your color is called. We had a 2:30 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and we got off the ship shortly after 10:00 am. We did have a 45 minute wait for a cab, but at least we weren't rushed.

On my last Celebrity cruise, everyone was off the ship by 9:15. They won't let you hand around very late, as they have to get ready for the next cruise. You'll probably be off the ship between 9:30 and 10

They can't start boarding the next group of passengers until all previous passengers have left the ship, and they will know your card(s) haven't been through the exit machine. They will be paging you...EM

First all you need to do is get the last color of baggage tags (on our last cruise they were white). You do have to get out of your cabin by 8:00 am I believe. Go have a nice breakfast and then wait up on deck until your color is called. We had a 2:30 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and we got off the ship shortly after 10:00 am. We did have a 45 minute wait for a cab, but at least we weren't rushed.

That's the way to do it.;)

Keep in mind how eager you were to board when it was your embarkation day. No one can board until all of the previous cruise's guests have disembarked. They will know your names and cabin numbers and you must clear Customs and/or Immigration..... When they call you color, it is time for you to leave.

Thanks for the great recommendations and insights everyone!

We will definitely not overstay our welcome. We will request to be in the last group (color) to leave and will disembark when instructed to.

I'm always the last to leave the plane, bus, train -- whatever, and there's something calming about doing it that way. I've always been a patient and easy-going traveler.

And since we will have time to spare on that day, I think being in the last group to leave the ship will be a great way to end our 2-week adventure on the ship.

Thanks again to all! --Jim :)

I'm with you as I still treat the last day as part of my vacation as well. That and it beats hagning around an airport. I always feel a bit sorry for the people stressing about getting off early to catch a plane etc.

I never book a flight before noon and in a few weeks I a 3:30 - it still gets me back home about 8:00 still plenty of time to get home. On the 6th, I'll be one of the last ones off the CB.

We will definitely not overstay our welcome. We will request to be in the last group (color) to leave and will disembark when instructed

You'll fill in your departure time on the form you turn in mid week and on that form also write that you request the last disembarking time. You'll have no problem with that, as a lot of people will be asking for the FIRST.

Nice thing about leaving one of the last...having no difficulty finding your luggage in the remaining "line ups". :)

Have a great time, Jim.

You'll fill in your departure time on the form you turn in mid week and on that form also write that you request the last disembarking time. You'll have no problem with that, as a lot of people will be asking for the FIRST.

Perfect! Thanks eandj!

Nice thing about leaving one of the last...having no difficulty finding your luggage in the remaining "line ups". :)

Have a great time, Jim.

...ah, yes! Didn't even think about that -- but another good reason to leave the ship last (if you're not in a hurry). Thanks again! :)

blindrid: Thanks for the comments. Sounds like you're all set. ;)

Archived