Cigar smoking on Radiance

We just returned from a six nighter on the Radiance; and, there was a cigar smoker on the balcony next to ours. Although, I am a non-smoker, I did not complain. As a matter of fact, there is no credible emperical data which whould support the hypothesis that moderate exposure to second hand smoke results in serious long term disability in the person so exposed.

I simply mention this matter, because I believe that both cigar and pipe smoking are proscribed on the balconies of the Celebrity ships.

Ergo, what is the policy on the Radiance etc.?

Think they are suppose to be limited to cigarette smoking only. Cigar and pipe smoking are limited to specific outdoor areas and cigar bar on ships that have one.

I am a cigar smoker and only smoke in cigar bar or outside deck usually away from cigarette smokers.

I would have asked someone the policy and probably asked him to please refrain while you were on the balcony. Most cigar smokers are very concious of the fact that others do not appreciate cigar smoke .. at least I am :)

Think they are suppose to be limited to cigarette smoking only. Cigar and pipe smoking are limited to specific outdoor areas and cigar bar on ships that have one.

I am a cigar smoker and only smoke in cigar bar or outside deck usually away from cigarette smokers.

I would have asked someone the policy and probably asked him to please refrain while you were on the balcony. Most cigar smokers are very concious of the fact that others do not appreciate cigar smoke .. at least I am :)

Quite frankly, it did not bother me. As a matter of fact, I enjoy the aroma of a good cigar.

There is no regulation that I am aware of that prohibits cigar or pipe smoking on your balcony. My husband smokes his cigars on our balcony occasionally as well as in the cigar lounge. He tries to be courteous and not smoke if neighbors are out on their balcony,,,unless they have one too!:D

I thought I had read somewhere that the policy was to reserve the port side balconies for smokers and to ensure that the starboard side of the ship was kep non-smoking. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Thx

I thought I had read somewhere that the policy was to reserve the port side balconies for smokers and to ensure that the starboard side of the ship was kep non-smoking. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Thx

No that is not correct. Depending on the ship, the port or starboard side of public decks may allow smoking, but it has nothing to do with balconies.

Thx

Smoking is allowed on all balconies and the port side of all open public decks with the exception of the outdoor seating area for the Windjammer.

Aubie

Port or Starboard side....

Maybe it was just the ships that I have been on, but outdoor decks on Starboard are the smoking region NOT Port.

Does this change from ship to ship in the fleet, I wonder?

I always try to be as considerate as possible until (and it happens on EVERY cruise) someone comes down to sit by me because I exile myself to quiet away from the crowd areas and then gets miffed because THEY sat by a cigar afficianado enjoying his stick.

Will be helpful to know as we are on Majesty in a few days for a quick after Easter getaway.

Port or Starboard side....

Maybe it was just the ships that I have been on, but outdoor decks on Starboard are the smoking region NOT Port.

Does this change from ship to ship in the fleet, I wonder?

I always try to be as considerate as possible until (and it happens on EVERY cruise) someone comes down to sit by me because I exile myself to quiet away from the crowd areas and then gets miffed because THEY sat by a cigar afficianado enjoying his stick.

Will be helpful to know as we are on Majesty in a few days for a quick after Easter getaway.

Thank you all for answering my question. We had hoped that smoking was not allowed in balconies, at least on the starboard side where our balcony will be. We will just have to deal with it.

For the record, I have nothing against smokers, but do have to avoid them due to having asthma. The way I see it is that it is as much a responsibility on me to respect a smoker's right to smoke as it is theirs to not do so in a way not to irritate non-smokers.

We would all do well to remember that it isn't always what WE want that matters most but to find a compromise that others can live with as well. There is too much confrontation in this world, over issues that need not be that way.

Thank you all for answering my question. We had hoped that smoking was not allowed in balconies, at least on the starboard side where our balcony will be. We will just have to deal with it.

For the record, I have nothing against smokers, but do have to avoid them due to having asthma. The way I see it is that it is as much a responsibility on me to respect a smoker's right to smoke as it is theirs to not do so in a way not to irritate non-smokers.

We would all do well to remember that it isn't always what WE want that matters most but to find a compromise that others can live with as well. There is too much confrontation in this world, over issues that need not be that way.

FSA...well said...I think there is always plenty of room for both groups of people to get along and enjoy their respective cruises.

I hope you do!!!

Best Regards

Archived