15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

• 2 weeks later...

Got back last night from my GCT trip to Egypt and Jordan... Only one word... FANTASTIC!

We felt secure at all times and would recommend it to anyone. If there are any questions about specifics of the GCT trip please feel free to ask..

I'm glad to hear that you had a fantastic time (but then I was sure you would...) I think we all come home a bit in shock over all that we've seen.

Take a bit to relax and settle in, but then you really must give us a few juicy details... :)

Favorite sites, any small but surmountable problems, quality of the accomodations, the things that took your breath away -- well, you know... we want to hear all about it!

(Sorry, but them's the rules of this thread... ;) You read up on all our suggestions before you go, but then you've got to "share with the class" when you get home, LOL. :D

Got back last night from my GCT trip to Egypt and Jordan... Only one word... FANTASTIC!

We felt secure at all times and would recommend it to anyone. If there are any questions about specifics of the GCT trip please feel free to ask..

Hi AnJ - We leave in 99 days and anything you can tell us would be appreciated. I read that it is nice to bring lipstick and nail polish for the wives of the guides. We have private guides for our free time in Egypt and would surely like to bring something for the family. Also - Abu Simbel. How was the bus ride? We are going there, but we were disappointed that we would be on a bus most of the day. What time did you leave and what time did you get back. Someone said there were box lunches handed out and that there was n o refrigeration on the motorcoach -any problems with that? Did you go to the home of a local for dinner and if you did, did you bring the host something? Some of my traveling companions were wondering if you were able to order cartouches on the ship and then have them delivered, or - should they purchase them in Cairo?

I know that you have to get over some jet-lag and do some laundry, so I won't ask anything else right now. Sleep well and then post -we are all waiting :D.

Ronnie

Hi AnJ - Also - Abu Simbel. How was the bus ride? We are going there, but we were disappointed that we would be on a bus most of the day. What time did you leave and what time did you get back.

We went to Abu Simbel by air, left at about 5:30 am and returned to the boat by 1:00 pm. Wonderful site but felt a bit rushed. It was great but not my fav.. I heard a rumor that GCT is going to try to bus down, leave at 4:30 am spend the day, see the evening light show and sleep over and bus back the next day... As I say, I heard that rumor.. the buses did leave at 4:30 am in a caravan.

Did you go to the home of a local for dinner and if you did, did you bring the host something?

Went to a home hosted dinner, about 20 people per family.. People brought little souveniers from their home city.. the host proudly displayed the ones from previous visitors all around the living room.. Things like baseballs with team logos, little lady liberty, peanuts from Ga. stuff like that.

Some of my traveling companions were wondering if you were able to order cartouches on the ship and then have them delivered, or - should they purchase them in Cairo?

My wife ordered 3 gold cartouches on the ship, (one for her and one each daughter and daughter-in-law) ready in 2 days... Bargin very hard... As a matter of fact, bargin real hard every place you go!

As others have said, bring lots and lots of $1's.

The high's of the trip for me were, the first sight of the pyramids, the balloon ride over the valley of the kings, and Petra. Jordan is a complete contradiction to Egypt, it's less crowded, much much cleaner, no pushy venders, and MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. At times while in the hidden city of Petra, you can be all alone just walking in the desert.

In Cairo we stayed at the Ramses Hilton, in town, not as nice as the Marriott, but OK. The boat ride was great, used the GCT River Anuket. Clean a well maintained.. In Petra we stayed at the Crown Plaza Petra, it's right at the gate of the hidden city.

Speaking of Petra, be prepard to walk and walk and walk... it's about a mile and change into the Siq before you get to the treasury and about another mile and change to the resturaunt... But wonderful every inch of the way.. And you still have to walk out.

That's about it for now, will answer any other questions you guys may have later.. Still trying to get used to the change in time..

tns, Yes, the ship was full, about 140 pass. you are broken into three groups right from the time of your arrival in Egypt.. We were in the Green bus, which were all of the people doing the post trip to Jordan.. We had friends on the Red bus and had also made contact with people on the yellow... Each group has their own Tour Director and leave for sights and trips sepperatly.. If you are traveling with GCT, don't be concerned about the numbers of people.. They know how to work out the logistics..

Yesterday i mentioned to bring lots of $1 in our hotel in Cairo there were two banks in the lobby that were open 24 hrs.. and you can get 1 ELB (Egyption pounds) coins or bills to use as tips for doorman or toilets etc... 1 Elb. is about 26 cents US.

tns, Yes, the ship was full, about 140 pass. you are broken into three groups right from the time of your arrival in Egypt.. We were in the Green bus, which were all of the people doing the post trip to Jordan.. We had friends on the Red bus and had also made contact with people on the yellow... Each group has their own Tour Director and leave for sights and trips sepperatly.. If you are traveling with GCT, don't be concerned about the numbers of people.. They know how to work out the logistics..

Yesterday i mentioned to bring lots of $1 in our hotel in Cairo there were two banks in the lobby that were open 24 hrs.. and you can get 1 ELB (Egyption pounds) coins or bills to use as tips for doorman or toilets etc... 1 Elb. is about 26 cents US.

Hi AnJ - So, do you tip 1 Elb or 1 USD? Because we Americans tend to tip everyone and everywhere, it is hard to think in their currency. I couldn't see tipping someone 1 Elb, but if that is what is done, then ...when in Rome. We once tipped a cab driver in Australia and although we had not spoken a word in his cab, he thanked us and asked us if we were from the US. He said the only people who tip him are from the US. So, do we tip in their exchange or ours and do we tip 4 Elb in place of 1 USD :confused: .

I would think USD are accepted there.

Ronnie

2Travelers; You can tip in USD, but for the bathroom attendents, we used 2 Elbs. about 50 cents.. as far as the doorman, if he gets you a cab, 2 Elbs. $1 for guy delivering yoour luggage.. You'ds do it just like home, but remember the prices are lower.. Now in Jordan it's a whole other story, Jordanian money is worth more than ours, even more than the Euro, and we used USD for everything never changed money in Jordan, just convert or ask for prices in USd. You even get change in USD which I've never had done before.. One USD is worth about .64 JD, like in 60 cents so, 1 JD is $1.40 USD.. if you can understand my logic..

2Travelers; You can tip in USD, but for the bathroom attendents, we used 2 Elbs. about 50 cents.. as far as the doorman, if he gets you a cab, 2 Elbs. $1 for guy delivering yoour luggage.. You'ds do it just like home, but remember the prices are lower.. Now in Jordan it's a whole other story, Jordanian money is worth more than ours, even more than the Euro, and we used USD for everything never changed money in Jordan, just convert or ask for prices in USd. You even get change in USD which I've never had done before.. One USD is worth about .64 JD, like in 60 cents so, 1 JD is $1.40 USD.. if you can understand my logic..

I understand your logic. The Jordanian dollar is higher than the Euro - amazing. Thanks for the heads-up. We are the only ones in our happy little group of travelers going to Jordan.

NEXT time I'll get to Jordan. I can't tell you how often I've had dreams of exploring Petra since I got back from Egypt. One of these days... :rolleyes:

While I was in Egypt I had a very hard time getting small Egyptian bank notes, like 1 EP and 5 EP notes -- even in two banks! So many times I ended up tipping $1.00 for small services (bathroom) when a smaller amount -- half that, would have been plenty. I took $200.00 in 1's and $100.00 in 5's just to make sure I had enough small bills with me, and it turned out to be too much for tipping, but it was very handy in buying souvenirs and haggling (to have the exact change, and not have to wait for change from a larger bill).

There are 24 hour bank windows in the Cairo airport, and I was able to change money on my way to baggage claim. I think I changed about $200.00 there at a favorable exchange rate.

You can also buy that Egyptian Visa at a window on the way to baggage claim (basically a stamp for your passport) in either US dollars or Egyptian pounds, if your tour group doesn't cover it. Check in advance - no sense in wasting $15 or $20 if it's already bought for you.

I'm getting excited for you! :D

Edited by seafun

HI AnJ - Just a quick question. How many went on the post tour to Jordan? I am debating whether to get a private guide for the days that they have optional tours. If the group is small I will stay put, but if there are a large number of folks, I think it might be easier to do it alone at my own pace. What do you think?

Seafun, I'm getting excited too ...a little over a month to go! This is the trip I've always wanted to go on. It's funny, yesterday I got a letter from the President of GCT, assuring us not to be nervous about going to the MIddle East..if he only knew!

I've even decided to do the balloon flight, even though I'm terrififed of heights, just because I don't want to miss a thing. :)

I've got 14 2GB flashcards for my camera ready to go.

I've even decided to do the balloon flight, even though I'm terrififed of heights, just because I don't want to miss a thing. :)

I've got 14 2GB flashcards for my camera ready to go.

I'm not happy about heights either, and I debated about the balloon trip but in the end I did it (thanks to encouragement from others on our trip). I am SO glad that I did -- and I'm sure you will be too!

I'm not happy about heights either, and I debated about the balloon trip but in the end I did it (thanks to encouragement from others on our trip). I am SO glad that I did -- and I'm sure you will be too!

Hi cruisemom42 - Did you go on the balloon ride with the tour comapny or did you use one of the other private companies? Someone posted that there were other companies on the dock and that the cost was half of what GCT wanted. I was a bit concerned with safety, but the poster said that they were all safe and that many people bargained for a better price and went privately. Did you happen to notice other companies looking to take passengers ballooning, or did you go with the group from your trip?

2Travelers,

We were on a small (7 people total!) land trip. Our balloon ride was not included as part of the trip, but our tour director said he could arrange it for us if we were interested. The price was very reasonable. I don't recall now exactly how much, but I think it was about $75 pp.

I don't recall people on the dock touting for this, but perhaps they were there. I know you can also arrange through a local hotel or from your cruiser, and there are also travel offices in Luxor where you can make the arrangements yourself and they are probably a bit cheaper.

There were certainly many companies all lifting off on the morning we went -- dozens of balloons in the sky over the Nile and Valley of the Kings. It was an awesome sight. Everyone appeared to be taking appropriate safety precautions. One thing to be aware of is that some "baskets" may hold as many as 20 people, while others are smaller. I think a larger basket may be more stable. Ours certainly was and the flight was very calm.

Good luck!

2Travelers,

We were on a small (7 people total!) land trip. Our balloon ride was not included as part of the trip, but our tour director said he could arrange it for us if we were interested. The price was very reasonable. I don't recall now exactly how much, but I think it was about $75 pp.

I don't recall people on the dock touting for this, but perhaps they were there. I know you can also arrange through a local hotel or from your cruiser, and there are also travel offices in Luxor where you can make the arrangements yourself and they are probably a bit cheaper.

There were certainly many companies all lifting off on the morning we went -- dozens of balloons in the sky over the Nile and Valley of the Kings. It was an awesome sight. Everyone appeared to be taking appropriate safety precautions. One thing to be aware of is that some "baskets" may hold as many as 20 people, while others are smaller. I think a larger basket may be more stable. Ours certainly was and the flight was very calm.

Good luck!

Thanks, Cruisemom42. We will be traveling with GCT and they want $160pp for ballooning. You paid about half, which is what I read in another post. I am hoping that there is some information I can get before I give GCT my money only to leave the boat and find other companies for a lot less. On the other hand, I hate to decide to go it alone and then not have access to independent companies on the dock. I may just post and see what other passengers on the GCT tour did. I missed balloooning when we were in Australia due to bad weather - and I am determined not to miss it this time around.

My wife and I went on GCT Egypt and on to Jordan beginning Aug 16, 2008.

We would and most likely go again. It was great , hot but great. A few

comments on some of the posts - We state at the Le Meridian Pyramids

while in Cairo - we we disappointed we didn't stay at in Cairo but not upset

as it was fine. There is a pharmacy left and than a quick left out of the

hotel where we bought Antinal for $1.00 a box of 12 - my wife use it once

and I did once when we thought we might have a problem - no problem but

cheap insurance - also the River Anuket had them for sale but ran out. We

basically watched what we ate and drank.

We were able to buy rolls of 1 Egyptian pound coins @ $5.00 in at the Le Meridian hotel exchange/bank in the lobby. These coins would also be good

souvenirs for friends at home as they have King Tut face and golden engraved

on them.

My wife bought her cartouches on the River Anuket - she was satisfied and

you can bargain a little.

We had some laundry done on the River Anuket about half way thru the

3 week tour (Egypt and Jordan), It was reasonable and got us thru the

rest of the tour. The laundry camd back the next day.

On the Jordan trip we had 24 people out of 140 for Egypt. Don't miss Petra.

If you are traveling with GCT I would do the post trip to Jordan with them.. We stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel right at the gate of Petra and it's a very nice hotel.. That part of the trip, Jordan, was much more layed back and we enjoyed it tremendously.. As far as going on the baloon ride again, you might be able to find it cheaper, but I would stick with GCT. You have to get up very early in the morning to do it and they will have an early breakfast on the boat, drive you by bus to the boats that take you to the other side of the Nile and bring you to the Baloons.. They then reverse it when done.. I think it is worth the extra money not to get all hassled about how to get there and get back and getting up and stuff like that.. My own personal opinion.. As far as changing money, as i said, the bank in the hotel is open 24hrs per day and you really don't have to get all excited about changing money.. just be shure to bring enough small US bills.. As someone said, the only time you must have Egyptian money is for government entrances.. and if you are traveling with GCT, most of your admissions are paid for.... Don't sweat it, it's a great trip and it's all taken care of for you...

When did you all find out what hotel you were staying at? Was it before you left or when you got there? I have heard so many bad things about the HIlton Ramses and am concerne about getting stuck there.

We are going to pay the extra and do the balloon ride through GCT, just for the convenience.

Also, I noted that we do Giza and Saqqara on the same day...Was that enough time, did you feel? Or did you feel rushed? What about the museum in Cairo?

Did you feel that they gave you enough time, or did you feel that you were rushed around?

The Discovery speakers at night on the boat - were they informative? I have been to some places where they weren't worth sitting there for. But I've never traveled with GCT before, so I'm a little curious. I'm 45 and I'm going with my mom, which is why we chose GCT, more for her and the fact that there are no kids.

TNS

We found out about the hotel a couple of weeks before the trip.. I was dissapointed also, but in the end it was fine an very close to the museum and you can walk along the corniche along the nile. You can't hear anything like road noise or things like that from your rooms and it's very clean.. Right across the street is a mall don't expect it to be like a mall at home, but it's about 7 fls and there's a couple of resturaunts there and a pharmacy.. In Egypt you can buy meds over the counter, so if that's needed, like a zpack or antibiotics, Anitol it's there, also other perscription meds.. on the second fl or the mall three is an Italian resturaunt and also a Lebanese resturaunt.. both very good.. on the top floor there's a McDonalds that has WiiFi, good if you have a laptop or Itouch, and stuff like that.. I got email each day there and kept intouch with home..

They give you enough time at all the sights except, I felt, Abu Simbel, which as I have stated, you do get back to the boat by 1 or 1:30, I wasn't too crazy about that.. If you are going to Jordan, you do have a day and a half back in Cairo so you could take a cab for a few hours back to the Giza to look at the pyramids again, it's about 20 USD for about 3 hrs.. Along those lines, we didn't go to Alexandria and hired a cab for the afternoon to take us to the Bazzar and an area where they make musical insruments about 4 to 5 hrs. it cost 100 Elb or about 25 USD We settled for 90 Elb but I ended up giving him 100 because he parked and walked with us and did the negotiations with the dealers.. Nice guy, I ran into him on two other occasions in Cairo and he was going to take us to Giza for 20 USD..

Really, you booked with GCT, I've travelled with them on two other trips, there's a reason why people keep going back to them, they do do it well.. I'm not saying they are always 100 percent, but it's close enough.. You'll have gripes, we all do but they are small... Don't sweat it, go with an opened mind and you'll have the time of your life............

I thought the optional tours are a little expensive, especially for the economy of Egypt, but they do a nice job.. Jordan was another story, I thought everything in Jordan was fantastic, and it's a much richer country and more educated than Egypt.. We only did Jarash in Jordan, not the Wadi Rum tour, wich I was dissapointed about missing, but the guide had advised us that it was a very rushed tour and we might not like it.. instead we opted, about 10 of us to go to little Petra and it was the perfect way to end this long and wonderful trip..

Our GCT group encompassed a vast array of ages, from two different college kids up to people in their 80s.. Most had been on multiple trips with GCT or OAT and were VIP members.. a very well traveled and educated group.. We also had couples in their 30"s and quite a number in their 50's.. and everyone was very nice... we made great friends as we always do on GCT.

My wife and I went on GCT Egypt and on to Jordan beginning Aug 16, 2008.

We would and most likely go again. It was great , hot but great. A few

comments on some of the posts - We state at the Le Meridian Pyramids

while in Cairo - we we disappointed we didn't stay at in Cairo but not upset

as it was fine. There is a pharmacy left and than a quick left out of the

hotel where we bought Antinal for $1.00 a box of 12 - my wife use it once

and I did once when we thought we might have a problem - no problem but

cheap insurance - also the River Anuket had them for sale but ran out. We

basically watched what we ate and drank.

We were able to buy rolls of 1 Egyptian pound coins @ $5.00 in at the Le Meridian hotel exchange/bank in the lobby. These coins would also be good

souvenirs for friends at home as they have King Tut face and golden engraved

on them.

My wife bought her cartouches on the River Anuket - she was satisfied and

you can bargain a little.

We had some laundry done on the River Anuket about half way thru the

3 week tour (Egypt and Jordan), It was reasonable and got us thru the

rest of the tour. The laundry camd back the next day.

On the Jordan trip we had 24 people out of 140 for Egypt. Don't miss Petra.

Hi Colmrs: We leave in two months for the same trip. I am so glad you answered some of my questions. My DH and I are traveling with friends, but we are the oly ones going on the post-tour to Jordan. I was considering getting some private guides for the free days, but after checking GCT said that they had only about 11 folks going on the post tour. Did you take all the optional tours in Jordan and were they worthwhile? Also, GCT wants $160 pp for the optional ballooning. I have read on this board that many passengers were able to get private companies to take them balllooning for less than half that. Did you go ballooning and/or did you notice companies on the dock offering the same tours? As I said in my previous post, I would hate to leave the ship and not find the companies ouside the dock - on the other hand, I would hate to pay GCT and then leave the ship with them only to find a ton of tour companies offering the same at half the price. The posters that mentioned finding other comapnies to take them balloooning were not from GCT - some said that they had the hotel book it. I just hate to miss that.

Thanks for the info on Antinal and the rolls of coins. We are supposed to be staying at the Marriott in Cairo, but who knows :confused:.

Counting down the days -