15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Good morning and thanks for the memories! I can't believe we're leaving in less than 3 weeks now! We got an e-mail from Grand Circle on Friday that our travle documents have been shipped. I'll be eager to see if they moved us from the Cairo MArriott like some people have complained.

For those of you who have helped me with my questions: I have purchased a year of Priority Pass to get into lounges. I know that I could have gotten into the Lounge at JFK without it, but now we can get into the First Class Lounge in Cairo, PLUS my husband and I are going to Hawaii in October with several long layovers (Frequent Flyer miles trip) and this will make that trip more pleasurable as well. For $99 a year, the access I will get for these two trips, will be worth it.

As for the Netbook: I did purchase one to take with me to Egypt. After much researching (and inputting from my IT geek husband), I purchased the ASUS EEE1000. It has a 10" screen and is an inch and a half larger than the others, but the tradeoff is that it has a 40GB Solid State Hard drive, which will take much more abuse than a regular harddrive, and the larger size will allow me to upload all my pictures on the harddrive. It's still under 3 pounds, so I'm not going to complain. PLus it operates with Linux, rather than Windows, so I get much more room on the hard drive.

Thanks for all your help on this. Without your comments, I would not have thought to buy a netbook.

Now, I just have to concentrate on packing for 3 weeks in one medium suitcase!

Great photos of the "new" discoveries on the AOL homepage tonight... ( you can Google them at "new mummies Saqqara", if you haven't seen them yet.)

Another great reason to go to Saqqara (for even a half day tour) if you were wavering on the fence. I really enjoyed seeing the step pyramid and the rest of the "goodies" there. :D

I think you will enjoy Saqqara -- It is very different from anything else you'll see, and sort of fills in the "where it all began" information about pyramids.

I won't give away all the secrets, but there were several "mouth falls open in amazement and wonder" moments while I was there. :eek:

Obviously, don't expect to see those "new" mummies, but there is plenty to see and I highly recommend it.

I highly second Seafun's recommendation. I really enjoyed Saqqara; there is a lot to see there. Be sure to climb up on the top of the wall for some good pictures of pyramids (both the step pyramid and those in the distance)....assuming it's not too hazy.

If you are thinking of going inside a pyramid, I also recommend doing it at Saqqara rather than at Giza. Less crowded, less claustrophobic, and more to see inside.

We depart in six days, Valencia to Madrid thence Cairo; a couple of days around Cairo then Luxor, nile cruise to Aswan, Lake Nasser cruise to Abu Simbal, back to Luxor for 24 hrs and then Sharm el Sheikh for 6 days R & R.

I did not buy a netbook - My camera has thrown a hissy fit so I decided to buy a new camera and old fashioned notebook (papyrus)

Given the damage that our demented politicians and banksters have done to our economy I thought that this was the wisest move for the time being:(

New Salt -- your itinerary sounds very enviable! (**he says, wiping away the drool of jealousy from the corners of his mouth**)

And ya know what? The old papyrus scroll has been working well for taking notes for a long time, lol. :rolleyes:

My little leather bound journal never let me down on my trip -- and, well, you've all read the notes I took in it, and I assume can vouch for its effectiveness. :D

Besides, you'd be spending half your time trying to figure out why the netbook wasn't working just right -- and this way you can concentrate on all you're going to be seeing.

I think a new camera was a better investment. Just remember the old advice -- take three times as many pictures as you think you'll ever want. At least 1,000. :)

If I don't get a chance to say it before you leave, have a spectacular trip and be sure to come home and tell us all about it!

Edited by seafun

I used to keep a journal on every trip I took. The last two, I had to quit because my carpal tunnel is so bad that I can only write for 5 minutes at a time. It sucks getting old!!! :)

A question.....will we use mostly US Dollars over there (for shopping in markets, eating out, etc) or will we exchange all for Pounds?

I used to keep a journal on every trip I took. The last two, I had to quit because my carpal tunnel is so bad that I can only write for 5 minutes at a time. It sucks getting old!!! :)

A question.....will we use mostly US Dollars over there (for shopping in markets, eating out, etc) or will we exchange all for Pounds?

We just got back and found we used US ones for tipping and could use either US or Egyptian pounds for purchases. I would suggest having a mix of both. You can exchange your US right at the airport or get Egyptian from the ATMs. I would suggest not to get too much until you determine what your purchases will be. you can always get more from the ATMs or convert more US.

Seafun, thank you for your Bon Voyage wishes. I will certainly report back idc!

However, I am not sure that I will post much in the way of photos having seen your opus magnus! I do in fact come from a line of distinguished photographers, distinguished by their consistent awfulness, and blood will out as they say! My late mother -I swear this is true - came back from holiday with several rolls of film consisting entirely of pictures of her eye. If anyone can give me an explanation of this achievement, pre SLR days, I would be grateful.

For tnsauerkraut, I am sorry fo your carpal tunnel problems, we have a friend who delighted in needlework who has lost that particular joy. Yes, getting old does suck:mad:, but not as much as the alternative:p Have a wonderful trip, perhaps our paths will cross in Egypt

P.S. thanks to all of you whose advice we have garnered on this site.

I might as well join in... we leave for Cairo via New York in 59 days. Also going on GCT tour. In Cairo, however, I have a co-worker's cousin who will will taking us around Egypt. My co-worker said he knows of places that even my co-worker never knew existed. Another gal in our office also was treated to this cousin's tours when she was there and said he was fantastic. I'm excited!

We are 2 nights in NY pre trip and 2 nights post trip. We'll toot around Manhattan and enjoy it as we always do. Have been to parts of Africa before, but never Egypt.

I journal all my trips and have been since about 1999. Mostly I buy small journals and end up printing and adding photos of what I'm talking about. I went to B & N to look for a nicer journal, but didn't like the prices or the weight of the journal. I happened to be at Office Depot and found a great little pocket journal for $1.99. Red velour with a built-in band for tracking your page. Really cute little thing.

I like taking a picture of where I buy things so when I give a gift I show a photo of the vendor or store so that the gift goes with a little story. In South America I bought several wooden beaded necklaces for several ladies. I took a picture of the gentleman (in great looking dreds sp?) and he posed nicely in front of his wares that were laid out on the street along with his beautiful sleeping dog.

In Instanbul we took photos with the vendor where we bought shawls. It's a lot of fun to print these photos and glue them into a paper journal. Makes for neat memories.

We traveled to the Med with 2Travelers of CC and again we are traveling together to egypt. We became fast friends just emailing each other for almost a year before our Med cruise. We booked Egypt over 500 days ago! Our countdown is now at 59 days!

SEAFUN, while I haven't read this entire thread, much of what I read was really nice. We have a fairly long thread from our May 5 Baltic cruise. I've met so many wonderful folks from CC. Great forum.

I like taking a picture of where I buy things so when I give a gift I show a photo of the vendor or store so that the gift goes with a little story. In South America I bought several wooden beaded necklaces for several ladies. I took a picture of the gentleman (in great looking dreds sp?) and he posed nicely in front of his wares that were laid out on the street along with his beautiful sleeping dog.

In Instanbul we took photos with the vendor where we bought shawls. It's a lot of fun to print these photos and glue them into a paper journal. Makes for neat memories.

What a lovely idea! I'm going to Turkey in April and I will remember that one. Having been in the bazaars briefly, I'm looking forward to having more time for shopping on this longer land trip....

It was so nice to see the photo of the two of us gals holding up our beautiful shawls with the vendor smiling holding American money! It was obvious everyone was happy! Great memory shots. We did this in Venice when we bought Murano vases, as well as more shawls. We took photos of where we ate and often of the meal before eating it! Lots of fun to see these later.

What a great idea! I'll have to remember that!

In 2007, my husband and I spent our 20th wedding anniversary on a Med Cruise with Princess. It was my first venture into CC and I ended meeting a new family! We never went on a single ship excursion. Every one we went on was a ptivate excurision with someone we met on these boards. We also had a party our first night onboard. Some of my best memories are from the people that I got to know on these boards and then met in person.

Well, I was out celebrating my birthday tonight and realized that a year ago I was celebrating it in style on the Nile..........our tour guide arranged a little birthday treat and then got me leading a conga line around the dining room.

THAT will be a birthday I long remember!!

Looks like I'll be back in Egypt in November, at least for a couple of days, on the Aegean/Egypt cruise, yay!

On Valentine's Day, with some friends, they said, where were you this time last year? :confused:

(Knowing I was going to sound like a jerk...:rolleyes:) I said, "Oh, I was on a cruise ship on the Nile in Egypt, and they had prepared special desserts with strawberrries, after a day of touring spectacular sights in Luxor..."

the travel notes from that day....

"Thursday morning 11:00 am (Valentine’s Day)

We just sailed back through the locks at Esna, and are on our way to Luxor, arrival time estimated at 3:00 pm. It seems there’s always something fascinating to look at on the shore – the ribbon of green fields, and how it runs into the sands and deserts.

Now that I’m here, and am coming to the close of a glorious week sailing up and down the Nile, I can’t imagine coming to Egypt and not experiencing this. The seven night cruise has been such a special part of this trip. We have all commented, repeatedly, on how much we are enjoying the simple views from the ship as we glide along the Nile, sailing between the 21st century and the 3,000 years before it, in just a few minutes , on our floating time machine.

I will try very hard to get some more pictures of the beautiful Luxor temple tonight, to replace all those that were erased. There’s a wonderful warmth to the temple photos taken at night that is a great counterpoint to those taken in the bright sun, and I was particularly fond of the Luxor temple, right smack in the middle of the city.

I’m feeling pretty much back to normal today – and very grateful for it. Whatever my “bug” was, it must have “exited the building.” I’d say close to a third of our group has gotten sick at one point – but most of them seem to be down and out for at least three days. So I consider myself lucky to have bounced back sooner.

We are currently sailing down the Nile, which is actually going north, towards the Mediterranean. It is easy to get turned around, since in Egypt, “upper Egypt, lower Egypt, north and south” all seem to be the opposite of what one’s first guess is. I’ve also gotten turned around in Luxor as to West bank and East bank – ah, the luxurious little problems one deals with in global travels…

The Galabaya Party last night was one of those purely touristy concoctions – let’s have the tourists (I mean “our valued guests”) buy Egyptian costumes (yet another way to support the local economy) and wear them to a fancy dinner. Then after dinner, we’ll coerce them into singing songs, dancing local dances, clapping and chanting, so as to make them look like complete idiots – talk about your “Pharaoh’s Revenge!” Actually, it wasn’t all that bad, and most of the people really enjoyed themselves in their sparkling new outfits and head wraps, turbans and jewelry.

I was still kind of weak at dinner – and still quite nervous about “local delicacies.” I managed some (well, quite a bit) of a very nice thick and rich potato soup, a few pieces of bread and a large meatball (that I silently hoped wasn’t camel) and had to stop at that point. I honestly didn’t even look to see what “local delicacies” lurked in the large silver chafing dishes – I’ve seen enough movies to know that strange organ meats, monkey brains or sheep’s eyes could have been inches away in the next dish!) (Just kidding – I’m sure it was nothing THAT exotic, or I would have heard about it for sure!)

With help from friends, I was able to get several good photos of me in my “local” costume and headwrap/turban, which I’m still exceedingly proud to have tied myself, after only one lesson in Edfu! I wish I’d had the energy to take everyone else’s pictures, but I chose to head off to bed, as the party went on without me. However, since my cabin was almost under the bar/disco/lounge, I was “treated” to the dancing sounds of our would-be Rockettes up above me until around midnight.

I was once again grateful for one of Mom’s pills, and my CD player with speakers, so I could play some nice soothing music and almost drown out the Egyptian Party Animals. I got a great night’s sleep, slept in and skipped the Esna temple in the morning. From others that went, on a scale of 1 to 5 on our “Temple-ometer,” I was told that it rated a mere 1, so I think the extra sleep was a good choice.

Thursday night 7:30 pm –

I just got back from taking my second set of pictures at the Luxor temple (after the first set got erased). I wasn’t able to take nearly as many this time – I got there and to my dismay, found my memory card only had 11 pictures left on it! I didn’t have enough “sunset time” to run back to the boat for another card, so I sat for a few minutes on a big block of stone, making painful decisions, and deleting enough “so-so” pictures that I soon made enough room on the card.

I got a couple of great shots – or at least they looked that way in the viewfinder. (Author’s note: many of the shots came out a little blurry due to not-quite-enough light – if you look at my “Obelisk with Moon Centered Above It’ pictures, you’ll see what I mean.) My favorite “artistic shot” was of the famous “twin obelisk” in front of the Luxor Temple (the other twin is the one given to the French that stands in the Place de la Concorde in Paris).

IF (note the word IF…) the shot turns out, it’s a vertical shot up the obelisk from the bottom, with the almost-full moon posed just above the top of the obelisk, with all the carvings and hieroglyphics nicely visible. We’ll hope that the ancient Egyptian gods of Digital Photography are with me!

I wrote a couple notes home today at an internet café here in the row of shops along the Corniche, quite close to where all the ships are docked. VERY hard to figure out parts of the keyboard, until I moved to another computer, but it only cost $1.00 for a half hour of time.

Also this afternoon, I finally visited the new and extremely beautiful Luxor Museum. Let me HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to you!! (I had tried once before but it was closed in the middle of the day for “lunch.”) Although it was hardly mentioned by our tour guides, and many of our folks missed it, I had read glowing reviews in every guide book I’d looked at. Its modern displays, wonderful lighting and labeling of the offerings was much better than all the other museums I’ve seen in Egypt. Definitely plan on reserving an hour or so to see it!

Beautiful statues, items from Tut’s and others tombs, items from daily life, Ramses the Great’s and other mummies, a piece of cloth woven and worn almost 4,000 years ago that still looked great, a bed, many items from everyday life, jewelry, explanations of all kinds of things – and some of the best preserved statues we’ve seen in the entire trip – all presented in a clean, well-lit, well-labeled manner – very, very nice, and not to be missed.

And a quick side note – as you exit the museum, just to your left – that’s NOT the official gift shop; someone has been bribed to put an overpriced shop in that prime location. Instead, exit the building, go back past the statues outside, and there’s another door, on your left, down by the café, that has an excellent gift shop, with marked prices and lots of great quality merchandise! DVDs and CD’s with digital pictures of Egyptian art and travelogues, coffee table books, postcards, posters, etc.

Okay, it’s dinner time. But if you promise you’ll visit the Luxor Museum when you’re here, I’ll try to write more tonight after dinner!

Dinner was very good, complete with a “Valentine’s Day” theme. The ladies each received a rose as they entered the dining room, the men got a chocolate, and we were treated to a much-touted “complimentary holiday drink!” It turned out to be a sugar-rimmed wine glass, filled with fresh strawberry juice. I laughed thinking about the “I Love Lucy” episode with Lucy in the Italian wine grape vat, prancing about, crushing grapes with her bare feet. I remember saying a silent prayer that our strawberries had NOT been crushed in the same manner down in the basement of the boat by our Egyptian cooks!

They had also decorated the dessert table with a Valentine’s Day cake and lots of red strawberry-themed offerings. It made for a couple of cute pictures, and it all tasted great as well!

It feels VERY good to have digital memory card “Egypt 2” safely stashed away, and out of the “photo-erasing” camera. I’ve started on the 3rd, and presumably final memory card, with some ridiculous photos from the local McDonald’s here in downtown Luxor. I wasn’t surprised to see the omni-present Ronald McDonald full-sized statue outside the door, but was floored to discover they deliver here!! I’ve never seen that before, and they have a little motorcycle with an insulated metal box on the back of it, the “McDelivery” phone numbers painted on the side, parked right in front of the restaurant. Upstairs (there’s two upper floors with tables and chairs) there’s a mural – a cultural abomination if you will, but funny – with Chicken McNuggets skateboarding across the desert in front of the pyramids, with Ronald McDonald’s face on the Sphinx, while the Hamburgler leers on the other side. Any wonder why we are called Ugly Americans??

Anyway, I walked back over there after dinner, after hearing from other passengers (who I had sent over there to photograph the mural) that they sold “McDonald’s Egypt” beach towels! Truth IS stranger than fiction my friends, and now, after throwing my pride out the window, I own one! (about $10.00, as I recall.) I’ll bet I’m the only person in Seattle that has one…

Yup, I am SO glad that I spent every single minute that I did, writing out those notes and taking those pictures... :)

Edited by seafun

Oh yeah.....loved the Luxor museum. I found, like you, that most people in my group hadn't heard of it, but it was really well done.

By the way, did you notice the mummy of Ramses that was sent back to Egypt by Emory University once they "discovered" it was a royal mummy? They had a big plaque at the museum prominently thanking Emory for the return. Well, I went to Emory and I still live close by -- the museum hosted a "farewell to Ramses" party before sending the mummy back and I attended. I made sure to tell Ramses that I'd be visiting him one day in Egypt........so of course I had to make good on that. :)

Yes, I remember that whole situation with the Ramses mummy. In fact I watched a documentary about it - probably on the Discovery Channel - showing them boxing it up and shipping it "home" with Zawi beaming as usual. :D Maybe I saw you in the background!

Isn't that mummy one of them that was rediscovered at Niagra Falls in a curiousity shop, and then Emory kindly came in to take over custodianship of it, or have I gotten my mummies confused, lol. :rolleyes:

Isn't that mummy one of them that was rediscovered at Niagra Falls in a curiousity shop, and then Emory kindly came in to take over custodianship of it, or have I gotten my mummies confused, lol. :rolleyes:

You know your mummies!

Yes, it was such an odd story. But the upshot is that Egypt is so happy with Emory for giving it back that we have gotten some very nice programs here in association with Emory, such as the Tut exhibit I mentioned last fall. .......And of course Dr. Hawass has been here to lecture several times.

Well, I'm all packed! Finshed my backpack this morning. Seems like Saturday is a life time away, although I know it will get here quickly. We fly Knoxville to Charlotte to Jfk, with a long layover before flying out to Cairo. I am so excited I can barely sit still. My family and friends are all in a tizzy because of what happened two days ago, but I refuse to let fear rule. Then, the terrorists win.

We have a free day in Cairo and I hired a private guide to take us around the Islamic part of Cairo, which shoudl be fascinating. As a surprise to my mom, my guide has made reservations for us at a restaurant in Giza, where we can see the sun set over the pyramids. She has no idea that I did this and I can't wait to see her face.

I know that my blog won't be half as interesting and fun to read as Seafun's, but I will do my best when I get back on March 23.

Well, I'm all packed! Finshed my backpack this morning. Seems like Saturday is a life time away, although I know it will get here quickly. We fly Knoxville to Charlotte to Jfk, with a long layover before flying out to Cairo. I am so excited I can barely sit still. My family and friends are all in a tizzy because of what happened two days ago, but I refuse to let fear rule. Then, the terrorists win.

We have a free day in Cairo and I hired a private guide to take us around the Islamic part of Cairo, which shoudl be fascinating. As a surprise to my mom, my guide has made reservations for us at a restaurant in Giza, where we can see the sun set over the pyramids. She has no idea that I did this and I can't wait to see her face.

I know that my blog won't be half as interesting and fun to read as Seafun's, but I will do my best when I get back on March 23.

Good for you! I'm sure you will be just fine and it's a shame these things have to happen.

If you get the chance to have your guide drive you through one of the Cities of the Dead on your free day, you'll find it a real eye-opening experience. It doesn't take that long but it will stick with you....