15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

I'll try one more time... Sam delivering the "sermon" just before we entered the temple of Karnak.

That's our Sam. I wish our weather had been cool enough to need the sweatshirt.

Thanks Benita for re-doing your trip report. Sounds as if you had a wonderful time! Hope our trip in Nov. is as good. I remember what company you choose but am afriad to mention it unless someone asks. I think you could post it since several people are interested and it would give them some other choices. We looked at many companies before we made a final decision. As the old saying goes--Knowledge is Power!

thanks again for taking the time to redo!

next trip?

Since you asked (see Laura, I am following the rules) we used Museum tours - http://www.museum-tours.com and we took their Egyptian Odyssey trip. It was quite expensive, compared to the package tours from other companies, but since it was private, the guide's hotels, meals, flights, and cruise needed to be covered , so compared to private trips we have looked into for other countries, Egypt is a bargain.

Edited by Benita

• 2 weeks later...
Benita I just took a look at the prices... Ouch! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But, as you noted, it was basically a private tour, so I am very envious. Thanks for sharing. :)

It was a little less costly this year and we did not have to pay extra to make it private. Sometimes, we splurge - our next trip is with Vantage to Vietnam and is much more reasonably priced, but we will have to share the experience with about 30 others.

Far less demanding than Egypt... :) but a cruise that actually leaves from my hometown!!! :eek: No airport security, no 3 ounce bottles, no suitcase charges (well, LEAVING town anyway, lol)

A Celebrity cruise on September 25th from Seattle, down the Pacific coast to San Diego, Cabo, Acapulco, Huatulco, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, through the Panama Canal to Columbia, then back up through the Caribbean to Fort Lauderdale.

I must say, it's the proverbial "carrot on the stick" that's keeping me motivated to go to work this summer.

And besides, it's still gonna be too hot to go to Egypt at that time of year, lol. But I'll get back there one of these days. I'd love to take some of my family members and enjoy the looks of wonder of their faces. :)

Seafun, that is a great itinerary and then you wind up near my house. Sometimes, these repositioning cruises have great itineraries - we just booked a repositioning cruise on Princess for October 2010- we fly to Quebec City and overnight on the ship, then sail to Halifax, Bar Harbor, Newport, RI, Boston, New York City, Norfolk, Va., Charleston, SC, and wind up in Ft. Lauderdale, 20 minutes from home.

Just be aware, that September is hurricane season - our house will be boarded up at that time, just in case. The ships sail around the hurricanes, but your itinerary may change.

I've had pretty good luck with hurricane avoidance, so far...

We'll see how it goes. There's actually only a couple days in the (hurricane-prone) Caribbean -- and we pretty much have to go through the Panama Canal to end up in FLL, LOL.

Maybe they'll divert us to the Suez Canal and I'll see Egypt again! :D

Edited by seafun

Sounds like a great cruise, Seafun.

BTW, I was just in Seattle; a lively and lovely city! I hadn't been there in quite a while and had forgotten how nice it is (particularly in summer when it is broiling hot in my neck of the woods....).

We're supposed to hit 90 by Sunday! Today was cool, but it'll start warming up again tomorrow.

There was an old popular song about Seattle... "The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle..."

Well, this year, in my yard anyway, change it to "The brownest lawns you've ever seen are in Seattle..." :rolleyes:

Seattle is enduring a freakish heat wave. Yesterday we set an all-time record of 103 degrees.

It was never that hot in EGYPT when I was there, LOL. :D Of course, I went in February...

Suddenly I have great empathy for those trying to enjoy the Valley of the Kings in 103 degree weather...

Seattle is enduring a freakish heat wave. Yesterday we set an all-time record of 103 degrees.

It was never that hot in EGYPT when I was there, LOL. :D Of course, I went in February...

Suddenly I have great empathy for those trying to enjoy the Valley of the Kings in 103 degree weather...

Thanks Seafun. I now feel much better that we got to endure the miserable heat last September in those lovely tombs. :D It was hotter than 103 too. We have friends in Redmond that had 105 yesterday. Just unbelievable. Keep cool!

Things are cooling off nicely here -- I'm going to survive our record-book heat wave! :)

And I must tell you, I just spent a VERY enjoyable two hours re-reading your incredible photo-filled account of your journey to Egypt. What a joy! And so many great memories came flooding back. Thanks again -- it was a wonderful way to spend a Friday night!

My best to you and Carol, Tom

Thanks Tom. Glad you enjoyed it again. It is so sad how quickly our minds forget the things that were so wonderful about a vacation. That is why we enjoy taking thousands of photos and doing these reviews. The vacation itself is just too short and memories fade way too fast. By researching for months ahead and being able to go back to the reviews forever, our vacations can last so much longer. And a trip to Egypt is something I don't ever want to forget.

Don't miss out on Mike and Carol's great review and pictures in the post above this one by MVPinBoynton. There's a red link to click and then find their Egypt trip...

Thanks for the advertising Tom.:D But after reading your review, ours is pretty bland.

LOL.. Mike & Tom...I enjoyed reading both of them......I would call it a tie.......UHG still over a year to wait for my first visit to Egpyt.

But Debbie, at least you have it booked and are going. Enjoy all of your planning, it will be here before you know it.

• 3 weeks later...
Discovery Channel has a "barge load" of Egypt shows on tonight. :)

Gotta go set the machine to record some of them. Even though I know it's HOT in Egypt right now, I'd still love to be there...

I saw those....:) I hope that "Out of Africa" show is going to be a regular series; it was interesting. Made me want to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia and Sri Lanka.

Also, I'm returning to Ephesus next summer -- now I will have to look for the (supposed) tomb of Cleopatra's sister!

Figures. My digital box fried itself on Sunday and I couldn't get into the cable office until today :-(

I'm definitely getting excited - my trip is now only 43 days until my trip. Only one hiccup so far: Delta cancelled the AMM-JFK flight that we were taking back on 10/23. Instead of putting us on Air France to get us home the same day, they've put us of the Delta flight the next day. We're still trying to decide what to do with our extra day in Amman.

Figures. My digital box fried itself on Sunday and I couldn't get into the cable office until today :-(

I'm definitely getting excited - my trip is now only 43 days until my trip. Only one hiccup so far: Delta cancelled the AMM-JFK flight that we were taking back on 10/23. Instead of putting us on Air France to get us home the same day, they've put us of the Delta flight the next day. We're still trying to decide what to do with our extra day in Amman.

Hope they're paying for your forced overnight.