15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Seafun, thank you SO much for your indepth reporting! We leave in 28 days for my "bucket list" trip and you gave so many wonderful pointers that I've written down! I truly believe my trip will be that much more wonderful thanks to you! :)

This has certainly been a wonderful thread. My 23 yr old DS graduated with his MBA last Sat. I want to take him and my 16 yr old DS to Egypt as a graduation celebration. I have it narrowed down to Gate 1 and GCT. Will do some more research and be back with some questions.

On packing-think us crazy, but this really works! We went to China for 4 weeks and packed 'old' clothes that we were ready to retire to Goodwill. They became disposable and we would just throw away as we travelled. We were able to fill all that empty space with ALL of the wonderful and many purchases we made and never had a problem (as many people on our tour did) with weight limitations. Tossed EVERYTHING and came home with the clothes on our backs and maybe an extra pair of undies each! Hate wrestling suitcases and backpacks around

And Flyncruz, what a great idea about packing "disposable" clothes.

I wore a lot of khaki colored things I could wash out in the sink, but I like your idea a lot.

I've been on my share of cruises where you have to take the tux, but Egypt wasn't one of them, lol. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello friends :)

Just got the brochure from Gate 1 for pretty close to the trip I took in case anyone is interested.

The price is still pretty reasonable (starting at $1699.00 including airfare!) for those of you with Egypt on the "bucket list."

Here's the link:

http://www.gate1travel.com/thedeal/100628/egypt.aspx?utm_source=thedeal&utm_medium=email&utm_term=100628&utm_campaign=egypt&advid=8378FF48-E239-497D-8422-FF6874B6A826

And, no, I don't get anything out of it financially, but I think it's a real good value and wanted to pass along the info.

Happy travels!! :D

Edited by seafun

Just got the brochure from Gate 1 for pretty close to the trip I took in case anyone is interested.

The price is still pretty reasonable (starting at $1699.00 including airfare!) for those of you with Egypt on the "bucket list."

Here's the link:

http://www.gate1travel.com/thedeal/100628/egypt.aspx?utm_source=thedeal&utm_medium=email&utm_term=100628&utm_campaign=egypt&advid=8378FF48-E239-497D-8422-FF6874B6A826

And, no, I don't get anything out of it financially, but I think it's a real good value and wanted to pass along the info.

I've read your tour notes and appreciate not only all the information I gained, but the time and effort it must have taken you to do all the posting.

We are going on a 13 days tour with Traveland-Egypt the last two weeks of September this year. We'll be in Cairo for a total of 5 days, Ansan, Abu Simble, on the Nile for 4 days with all the stops up to Luxor and Sharm for 3 days.

We cannot seem to get a definite answer on wearing shorts. Some say it is fine, other say you should stay in long pants, especially in Cairo. We will pretty much be by ourselves with just our guide and driver, except on the Nile. What was your take on being in this Muslin country and trying to honor what they feel is acceptable. My partner and I would never wear really short shorts and will wear nice pull over shirts, but is this acceptable?

Here's the link:

Thinking of doing this one, even if my travel buddy can't come with me. Even paying the extra for a single it is still the better price than GCT. I'm planning on the Oct 14 trip. :p

Thinking of doing this one, even if my travel buddy can't come with me. Even paying the extra for a single it is still the better price than GCT. I'm planning on the Oct 14 trip. :p

Be sure and come back here and post about your trip. We will be on the one AFTER you ;)

Procruise, I would not worry about the shorts. Just the fact that you've mentioned it means you're aware of the way you present yourself, and will no doubt dress in a way that offends no one.

The way it was explained to me was "modest shorts are okay in most places, as well as short sleeved shirts." The problem comes with tank tops, spaghetti straps, short shorts, bikinis, etc. The sight of elbows and knees should not be offensive in most places other than mosques. I think if you remember to cover the uppermost thighs (no Daisy Dukes, lol), the armpits (no wife beaters or tank tops) and extreme cleavage exposure, there should be no offense taken.

Most Egyptians are very happy that we are there spending money and will overlook our clothing choices.

I just paid for this trip todoay...I leave January 20th...I am so glad to have your information. Thanksa bunch. I wnt to india and Nepal this year with Gate One and had a fabulous trip.

Obviously, I'm a little prejudiced towards Gate 1, but I think you've made a great choice.

Is it perfect? No, but what in life is perfect? (And the price is really great!) I'm sure you'll have a great trip and make many wonderful memories!

Procruise, I would not worry about the shorts. Just the fact that you've mentioned it means you're aware of the way you present yourself, and will no doubt dress in a way that offends no one.

The way it was explained to me was "modest shorts are okay in most places, as well as short sleeved shirts." The problem comes with tank tops, spaghetti straps, short shorts, bikinis, etc. The sight of elbows and knees should not be offensive in most places other than mosques. I think if you remember to cover the uppermost thighs (no Daisy Dukes, lol), the armpits (no wife beaters or tank tops) and extreme cleavage exposure, there should be no offense taken.

Most Egyptians are very happy that we are there spending money and will overlook our clothing choices.

I agree with Seafun. Talking to our guide our first day, he said it really is more when you're going to religious sites. The idea is to keep in mind that the mosques are still used as houses of worship, so to respect their religion dress modestly: short sleeved shirts rather than sleeveless, and preferably long pants. Dave brought the pants that have legs that zip off to shorts, and those were perfect. I wore long pants while touring in Cairo, but shorts at Valley of the Kings and various temples in Luxor and Aswan.

And Seafun, a belated thank you for all of the time you took to write up your trip! I read it all avidly and took a lot of tips/ideas from what you wrote that helped make our trip special!

• 2 weeks later...
We ended up deciding on Nov 11-25 instead of early October (on Gate 1-the 15 day Nile and Red Sea). Should book this week. I'm soooooo excited!!!!! Have already been shopping to get ready.

HEY..... you will be on the very next one AFTER us !!!!!!

Our TA said that she was impressed with Gate 1's booking process - so that is a good thing !

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information you have provided on this thread. Seafun, your travel journal is outstanding, both informative and entertaining.

I am very excited to say that, after pestering her for 15 years, my sister has finally agreed to join me on a trip to Egypt. We are taking the Gate 1 12 day/Red Sea/4 Day Nile Cruise in November. It seems very similar to the one you took, Seafun, although the relaxing days at the resort are at the beginning and there are no major activities planned on days with flights, so they apparently have worked out some of the kinks you experienced on your trip.

I do not see the option for taking a hot air balloon excursion listed anywhere in Gate 1's literature, is that something they offer when you are over there, or is it better simply to go off on your own and book it independently?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the optional snorkeling excursion to Sharm El Naga? Specifically, is this a worthwhile experience, or is there another destination that might be more interesting that we can either book through the concierge or simply find on our own?

Again, thank you all so very much for the time you have put into this site, it is beyond helpful!!

120 days before we leave and starting to count down already . . .

Wanderingwolf. We are booked on Gate 1 - but doing the 15 day Egypt with Nile cruise and Red Sea. We leave NY October 28 and return November 11th. I have been researching this ALOT.....whoa boy ALOT !

Not sure what options you have on the 12 day trip. But everyone has said be sure and book the Nile River Optional Shore Excursion Package. Ours is 169. per person. Mostly they have said that the Nile cruise will be just that with out it...... no side trips to any of the temples etc. We also booked 2 excursions in Cairo and the Abu Simbel excursion which is said to not be missed. Also have heard hot air balloon is great too - would never ever get dh up in one tho...... I'm game :D

Also we have Red Sea at the end at Hurghada (Fort Arabesque resort) If yours includes a stay there - they have a dive shop on the property called iDive that has gotten good reviews. They also do snorkle trips. We do not have the snorkle excursion to Sharm El Naga on our list. So I have been looking for other options as we are both divers. Not sure we will be able to do a dive tho..... time constraints as you do not dive within 24 hrs. of flying. We will see.

Hope this helps.

T...

I do not see the option for taking a hot air balloon excursion listed anywhere in Gate 1's literature, is that something they offer when you are over there, or is it better simply to go off on your own and book it independently?

. . .

My experience is that the guide will arrange it for you. They will pick you up around 5 am.....

I was also on a Gate 1 tour and it was great....

there are pictures of people doing this from our balcony....

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=1f24f6c5e6e33dee&sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGsi

Some day, on my tombstone, it will say "that guy who wrote the insanely long travelogue of Egypt on Cruise Critic" LOL!

Honestly, thank you all for the kind words, and I'm so happy that you are getting ideas and information from this (group effort) thread.

Wanderingwolf -- the balloon ride wasn't something Gate 1 offered until we got to Egypt, and started up the Nile (ahhh...wistful sigh...:rolleyes:).

It was a little cheaper to wander across the street from our cruise ship to the Winter Garden hotel, and book it with Sindbad, but I ended up booking through Gate 1 to insure that the timing of it coincided with all the activities of that day (Valley of the Kings, etc.) You'll also find several companies listed in recent Egypt guide books, or Google "Luxor hot air balloon ride company."

Did I mention that I joined the EXCLUSIVE "I've crossed the Nile four times today Club" that day?? :rolleyes: (Would that be the "Nile High Club?") Yes, I believe I did, LOL. Over and back at the crack of dawn, then over and back later for VOK, etc.

Texancruzer -- YES! Definitely book the Nile shore excursion package -- worth every penny, several times over.

Oh yes, for everyone -- snorkeling/diving.... The sealife in the Red Sea is the most amazing I have seen anywhere. And for the most part, totally unspoiled, beautiful healthy corals that are "take-your-breath-away beautiful". Make every effort to at LEAST snorkel, so I would say yes, do the Sharm excursion, or any other snorkel excursion offered by Gate 1 or the hotel. The resort we were at had fabulous snorkeling, just from the hotel's beach, but you owe it to yourself to do an excursion too. (And remember to sneak some bread or peas from the buffet with you in a zip loc bag, and the fisheees will love you very very much!)

Texancruzer -- YES! Definitely book the Nile shore excursion package -- worth every penny, several times over.

Oh yes, for everyone -- snorkeling/diving.... The sealife in the Red Sea is the most amazing I have seen anywhere. And for the most part, totally unspoiled, beautiful healthy corals that are "take-your-breath-away beautiful". Make every effort to at LEAST snorkel, so I would say yes, do the Sharm excursion, or any other snorkel excursion offered by Gate 1 or the hotel. The resort we were at had fabulous snorkeling, just from the hotel's beach, but you owe it to yourself to do an excursion too. (And remember to sneak some bread or peas from the buffet with you in a zip loc bag, and the fisheees will love you very very much!)

We have purchased ALL the optional tours except the Light Show and the Jeep Safari ones. Over $1000. in excursions (our TA is giving us one in Cairo free) but this will probably be our only trip to Egypt and when we go - we go all the way ;)

The main reason we choose this tour was the Red Sea part. DH and I both dive and he is really hoping to fit in a dive while there. But you are not supposed to dive 24 hrs before you fly so if we can fit it in the very first afternoon we arrive - we can do it. Otherwise we will be doing ALOT of snorkeling - both from the beach and on excursions. I can't wait as I have been ogling pictures for weeks !

I am still reading and re-reading your travelogue (I printed it out :)) but it seems Gate 1 changes things (hotels, the ship) from year to year. But the basics are there - so big Texas Thanks ! TEX

Texancruzer – The 15 day trip sounds absolutely fantastic, please do post a review. I hope you have an amazing time!!! The optionals are basically the same between the two tours and we also have booked almost all of them except the light shows and the ½ day jeep safari, which is not offered on the 12 day. Thanks so much for the tip about the dive shop in Hurghada. We’re staying somewhere else, but it is good to know what options are there.

SMeyer – your photos are amazing, thank you so much for sharing and for the insight into arranging the hot air balloon trip. That is something I definitely would love to try.

Seafun – just embrace it, you are a legend!! The mantra of countless people traipsing across Egypt will now be “Seafun said . . .” Good point about booking through Gate 1 to ensure it coincides with all other scheduled activities for the day. Hmm, I do seem to recall you possibly mentioning briefly in passing that you might have crossed the Nile a couple of times that day ;) Seriously, though, thank you for the tip about the snorkeling, we are definitely going to do it and will absolutely sneak some bread from the buffet for the fish. After all, “Seafun said . . .”

This has certainly been a wonderful thread. My 23 yr old DS graduated with his MBA last Sat. I want to take him and my 16 yr old DS to Egypt as a graduation celebration. I have it narrowed down to Gate 1 and GCT. Will do some more research and be back with some questions.

On packing-think us crazy, but this really works! We went to China for 4 weeks and packed 'old' clothes that we were ready to retire to Goodwill. They became disposable and we would just throw away as we travelled. We were able to fill all that empty space with ALL of the wonderful and many purchases we made and never had a problem (as many people on our tour did) with weight limitations. Tossed EVERYTHING and came home with the clothes on our backs and maybe an extra pair of undies each! Hate wrestling suitcases and backpacks around

I love that!!!!

It is great, very practical.

sure it works especially with crazy shopper, I always have problems with weight limitations.

Thank you again for this lovely idea.

lilli

Seafun!!!

Wow you are great i apreciate your efforts to help the future travellers to Egypt.

I feel very happy when i read your threads.

you know i remember my trip to Egypt and feel still there.

Thank you.

lilli

Hi seafun,

I agree with you i have read many question about what is the suitable dress in Egypt. but really i found the Egyptian very friendly and we had no problems with our clothing choices.

our guide told us prior day to our mosque visit that tomorrow you should wear modest cloth better than wear the mosque green dress. or just bring long sleeves T-shirt to change in the bus before to go to the mosque.

it was very easy and fascinated tour.

lilli

Thank you Lilli --

I appreciate that you are translating from another language, and I appreciate your comments and compliments.

Yes, Egypt is a wonderful country to visit, and I am happy that I still have wonderful "Egypt Dreams" every now and then at night, reminding me of all the good times, the wonderful sights, and the things that I learned.

Happy travels! :)

Hello Seafun, newbie on board. :confused: I just wanted to thank you for your efforts writing about this trip. I know how hard it is, I keep diaries of my trips too and it is a lot of writing!. I am going to Egypt and Jordan in December and I will take a cruise down (or up, not sure) the Nile too. I am traveling with Friendly Planet. Your reasonable insights, comments and tips have been most useful for me and I am forever grateful for them, this is the kind of information I was looking for.

Happy sailing and gracias! :)

Isabella