Good port excursions not booked thru the PG?

Sirat

My husband and I are interested in the Paul Gauguin cruise to the Tahitian islands departing on July 26 and would appreciate recommendations on snorkel excursions, bike rentals,sailboat outings, etc. available at ports without booking through the ship. On our previous cruises, we have found that independent booking generally offers cost savings and sometimes, less crowded outings. :)

Well, go for it--try the Pacific Islands board. But it's always appeared to me that the PG-sponsored excursions were almost identical to those that could be bought on shore (within the constraints of the ship's timetable), and not overpriced at all relative to privately-booked ones.

We have spent a total of 24 days on the PG and about 50 more on other Regent ships. Keep in mind that French Polynesia is a relatively expensive place. Also, unlike many other cruiselines, Regent does not tend to use their excursions as big money producers. We have also found the pricing to be reasonable, and the quality to be generally excellent. On those rare occasions where problems arise, Regent has even refunded part of the cost of an excursion. Finally, the excursions are seldom overcrowded. We have taken sailing excursions in French Polynesia with only half a dozen people onboard.

Archived