"I Can Make You Thin" on TLC

Chigirlcruzin

I too am looking forward to the show about how he's going to teach us to love exercise! I know people who DO love it. It becomes their feel good "drug."

I hadn't thought of it exactly that way, but it's true. It IS my "feel good drug." I don't care HOW I feel...I come out of the gym (or a run) feeling at least 100% better.

Jem4life

I found last night's episode with the tapping technique interesting. Not quite sure what to make of that. I'm not all that in to alternative medicine, but I figure I'll have an open mind and give it a try. I AM an emotional eater.

My husband and I are in to alternative medicine. If we can avoid doing standard medicine I will do it. In my opinion if it does work. Then it's good for me. I have herd of this technique before. I just forget to use it :rolleyes:

I'm not a big emotional eater, but there are times that I can use the tapping technique and see if it really works.

I am a mother to three teenagers (13, 16, 19) and we have always eaten dinner together 7 days a week...Unfortunately, the kids are slim and my husband are slim and I am overweight..Not because of what we eat at dinner and we actually have quite a lot of conversation going during dinner and usually only my husband (who just recently at 45 started to gain a little in his stomach area) cleans his plate. My 8 yo niece loves to stay at our house for the weekend because we sit down to the table and talk. She loves to tell us about her day or tell us a funny story. So I do think that if your children look forward to that part of the day as a relaxing time, not rushed, it is more of an even than a food fest. We also really try to delay dinner until 7 by doing all over needed activities/errands before that time instead of after dinner and having to rush through dinner to get to our next activity.

I am overweight because I am an emotional eater and that usually comes on at night when the kids are finally in their rooms and I can actually relax and I guess eat! I found the tapping technique to be interesting but I will give it a try as it does not require me to buy anything or to put my body at risk (not like the weight does already). I have used it one time and found that even if the tapping on certain pressure points wasn't what worked, it was definitely a diversion tactic kind of like counting to 10 when you are angry or deep breathing and it did seem to lessen the need for me to "want" to eat out of an emotional response and I moved on to something else.

~Anna

I am overweight because I am an emotional eater and that usually comes on at night when the kids are finally in their rooms and I can actually relax and I guess eat! I found the tapping technique to be interesting but I will give it a try as it does not require me to buy anything or to put my body at risk (not like the weight does already).

That doesn't sound like "emotional eating" - it sounds like "mindless eating." I still find myself doing that too, and it's one of the hardest habits to break.

There is a ton of info out there on this topic - I posted some here for you. There is also a book named "Mindless Eating". This is an exerpt by the author:

"When we did a study of Parisians, asking them when they decide during a meal to stop eating, they answered that they stopped when they were no longer hungry, the food no longer tasted good, or the food was cold. When we asked Chicagoans the same question, they said they finished when the TV show they were watching ended, when their friends were through, or when there was no more milk in their cereal bowl. "

Obviously we Americans just don't know how to stop eating! :rolleyes:

Here is an article on the book...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/21/kd.mindless.eating/index.html

And some good tips on the same...

http://casualkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/02/ten-strategies-to-stop-mindless-eating.html

And some good rules to follow...

The Morning MeetingSurprise! There are doughnuts at a morning meeting.Freeze! Ask yourself if you're truly hungry -- or are you just not full, advises Tom Kersting, author of Losing Weight When Diets Fail and a psychotherapist in Westwood, New Jersey. "Many people get confused by this distinction, butyou should eat only because you're hungry -- not because you aren't full." In other words, if you've already eaten breakfast, you don't really need that chocolate cruller. Sit so you can't see it or so it's as far as possible from you. If your stomach is empty, go ahead and eat the doughnut (but still sit away from the box). It's not the greatest way to start the day, but neither is a meeting.

Free SamplesSurprise! The supermarket is giving out free samples.Freeze! Make a rule for yourself that you eat only when you're seated. So to have that corn chip, pizza roll, and slice of sausage, you'll have to wrap them in a napkin for later. Given that option, you'll probably pass. After all, those bites won't be so appealing once they're cold and covered in lint. "This rule actually cuts out an enormous amount of nibbling, including when you're cooking, clearing plates, or at a street fair," adds Beck.

LeftoversSurprise! Your kids didn't finish their burgers.Freeze! Actually, you're not at all surprised, since this is their usual MO -- just as it's yours to finish their food for them, particularly when you're at a restaurant and you've paid good money for their meals. The fix is to let experience, and not optimism, determine their portion sizes:If they've never finished a burger on their own, then they should split one. If you still have leftovers, toss them. "It's false economy to think you're saving money by cleaning their plates," says Schwartz. "All you're gaining are extra calories you don't want and probably won't enjoy."

Office CakeSurprise! It's Dora the comptroller's birthday, and someone has baked a cake.Freeze! If you're watching calories, you shouldn't accept a slice thinking you'll have only a taste. "That's walking to the edge of the cliff, leaning over, and trying not to fall," says Schwartz. "Don't set yourself up like that." Instead, simply say, "No, thank you." You don't have to give a reason, and you're not being a party pooper for abstaining. "It's not right to put people in a position where they feel pressured to eat," says Schwartz. In the future, she adds, you might want to start a movement at your workplace for birthdays to be celebrated with bouquets instead of cakes.

HTH. :)

My husband and I are in to alternative medicine. If we can avoid doing standard medicine I will do it. In my opinion if it does work. Then it's good for me. I have herd of this technique before. I just forget to use it :rolleyes:

I'm not a big pill taker either. I'll take an Avil now and then, if a head ache won't go away, or a Tums for occasional heartburn. A daily vitamin is all I regularly take. I couldn't even tell you the list time I was prescribed a medication. By alternative medicine, I guess I'm thinking about all these things that are marketed as "fixes." The colon cleansing junk, etc... Big money makers, in my opinion. People want to go "natual," but most of these things are not helping anyhow.

Back to the tapping... It doesn't involve putting any drugs or potions in my body to cut food cravings, so that is a much healthier way to control a craving. I've been forgetting to do it too though! I have to become more conscious of my eating behaviours. I'm working on that!

Archived