Clothing Questions...how dressy?

This is our first time on the Regent Seven Seas line (E. Caribbean trip April 7th). How "dressy" do passengers get for evening dinners, including country club casual and formal evenings? My husband is planning on taking his tuxedo and another suit, but I'm perplexed as to how "dressy" I should get?????

Interestingly, that's really difficult to predict. We've been on three Eastern Caribbean cruises, on Navigator every time, in the last 18 months. Each one of them was a little different, in terms of passenger dress. I'd say you could easily manage with a really dressy pants outfit, or even a pair of black pants and a top with a little glitter on formal night, and then drop "a step" for the informal and one more for casual. It's been years since I saw a long "ballgown" type dress, we've been cruising Regent for seven years.

My husband & I are on the Mariner April 7th to the E.C., is that the one you are on?? This will be our first cruise, and like you I'm not sure what to bring for the various categories of evening dress.

I was thinking of bringing a really nice "little black dress" cocktail length for both formal nites, and wear a wrap one nite and a jacket the other one to change it up a little. The informal nite I am thinking of wearing a nice summer dress. CCC evenings I have no idea what to wear!!

Where do you live?? I live in Northern California. I am getting excited but am definetly feeling stressed about the wardrobe issue! Men have it so much easier!! Thanks, GG

Pam, I was so surprised with your posting about your experiences on the Navigator that you haven't seen long gowns in the 7 years you have traveled on Regent. I've seen other postings that lead one to believe that most women wear long gowns and just a few wear cocktail length on formal evenings. Do you think there is a difference between the various Regent ships?? I was thinking of bringing a nice cocktail dress for the formal evenings, but friends of mine that have been on other cruise lines also led me to believe that a long gown is the way to go. I am so confused!! Would appreciate any further feedback, Thanks, GG

I have limited clothing store options up here, so I'm going shopping down in the lower part of the state next weekend and hoping to find some appropriate dresses. Based on what everyone's saying I think I'll stick to shorter cocktail dresses and dressy pants (which I actually prefer anyway!) Thanks! Looks like I might see some of you next month!

I live in the north too. I usually try to hit the late summer sales, if I know I'm cruising the next winter or spring--impossible to find anything suitable right now, that's for sure! For country-club casual nights, just a simple summer dress, or pants and a nice top will be fine.

Lynn and I have had 13 Regent cruises on all of the Regent ships, including Navigator. Lynn always wears a long gown on formal nights and I'd estimate that @ 50% of the other women do as well. I always wear a tux on formal nights; a sport coat and tie on informal nights; and a sport coat without a tie on casual nights.

Doug, you and Lynn love to dress up, and you both look so good in your formal clothes; if I looked that good, I might dress the part, too. But for those of us who aren't wild about formal, the dressy pants outfit does just fine.

I've seen long dresses on the Navigator, more on the Voyager and a mix of suits and tuxes. I've also seen sports jackets on formal nights. I I haven't noticed any dress police on Regent.

I take a black dress, black slacks and a variety of tops and lightweight or sheer jackets depending on the length of the cruise. Overall I don't see that much difference between the formal and informal nights. A small number come dripping in expensive jewelry, but in my opinion, with the ever changing security rules they're taking their chances. I would only do that if I were embarking and disembarking in my home port, and unfortunately that doesn't appear likely on Regent.

Take what you are comfortable wearing Chances are you'll fit in with whoever is at your table.

JoAnne B

Houston

Joanne B, what did you mean when you said that you wouldn't bring your good jewelry due to the ever changing security rules??? I was debating between bringing diamond studs vs. Cubic Zirconium ones. Your comment concerned me!! Please explain what you meant!! Thanks, GG

A small number come dripping in expensive jewelry, but in my opinion, with the ever changing security rules they're taking their chances. I would only do that if I were embarking and disembarking in my home port, and unfortunately that doesn't appear likely on Regent.

JoAnne B

Houston

JoAnne - I too am curious to hear of the reason "they're taking their chances."

Regards,

Hal

I always bring "good jewellery" when we are cruising and have since we started to cruise back in 1990.

The exceptions are if we are doing a several day pre or post cruise to a remote area,then the good stuff stays home.

That being said I also carry proof of ownership/appraial,etc. so that there aren't any questions asked when we arrive home.

I also never wear good jewels ashore when touring certain countries.

The Regent ships have very nice safes; I bring the jewelry that I want to, then use the safe when I don't have it on. Cruising is about the only time I get to enjoy "bling", so I do enjoy it.

And I probably mis-stated something. I did see long gowns in the first year or two that we cruised Regent. Even on our first cruise to Alaska, when every night was "country club casual", some people dressed formally and looked wonderful. I was surprised, though, when our British Isles cruise didn't turn up as many dressed-up people as I thought it would.

This will be our first time on the Seven Seas Mariner cruise leaving April 7 and we are really looking forward to trying a luxury cruise line.

I haven't seen long fancy gowns in quite a while on other cruise lines so I'm happy to read that I don't need to run out and buy one for this cruise. I do have a couple of "after 5 cocktail" dresses and my husband wears a black suit. We've always felt comfortable.....and as one other poster wrote.....there aren't any "fashion police" checking every one out.

Maybe we'll run into ladymadeline and gardening girl on this cruise!

Safe Travels! Doublepaws

Yes, I would love to meet you in addition to other CC folks on the 4/7 Mariner cruise, are you interested in meeting for a drink on the 1st "at sea day"?? I posted a thread for a Roll Call on the main RSSC board but so far only SuzeCruise has responded with wanting to meet also. Thanks, GG

I always bring "good jewellery" when we are cruising and have since we started to cruise back in 1990.

The exceptions are if we are doing a several day pre or post cruise to a remote area,then the good stuff stays home.

That being said I also carry proof of ownership/appraial,etc. so that there aren't any questions asked when we arrive home.

I also never wear good jewels ashore when touring certain countries.

SnoBird, you make too much cents (pun intended). A few years ago when going through US Customs in Fla, the agent asked to inspect my watch. Truth-be-known that watch was 27 yrs old and a pre-wedding gift to me from my wife. The agent never pressed me for futher information.

So, this trip I will take along a few additional documents.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Hal

First timers on Regent - April 7th sailing of the Mariner.

Archived