Re: Passport Questions

OK, I'm totally clueless having never done a cruise before and having only flown a few times in my life . . . and the only foreign country I've been to has been Canada.

So here's my question . . . or maybe it's questions.

My wife and I have passports . . . obtained them several years back. So I'm packing everything up for our trip this week when I realize that her passport has her "old" name of Johnson-Blaunk (from when we got married and she decided to keep her old family name) . . . but a few years back she got tired of writing out the long name on medical forms (she's a nurse and would write out her name a lot in the course of the day) so she changed it to Johnson, dropping the "Blaunk."

Will this be an issue while flying from CT to Puerto Rico? Will this be an issue getting on or off the cruise ship? Will this be an issue going into any of the ports (Antigua, Barbados, St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Dominica)? Will this be an issue coming back into Puerto Rico? When presenting your passport do you need to also present your driver's license or copy of a birth certificate? If the passport is no longer valid due to the name change, can she get by with only her driver's license and birth certificate?

More to the point . . . is the dropped hyphenated name a big deal or am I getting paranoid for no good reason?

Thank you to all who can help answer these questions.

What name is her ticket and reservation under? that could potentially be a problem if they don't match. Recommend you contact your airline and cruise line to see if this will be an issue for boarding.

and that you check the guidelines on the state department web site

http://www.state.gov/travelandbusiness/

Both the airline ticket and cruise ship ticket is under her current last name (non-hyphenated.)

I have an e-mail sent into Carnival on this issue . . . I'll take your advice and contact American Airlines as well. My wife's biggest fear is getting to San Juan and then being told that she can't board or coming back and being denied entry into the US.

I deleted because I had Royal Caribbean in my thoughts and they let you make one name change free but you may have a fee with Carnival. Sorry, I'm on hold with a cruiseline and got distracted. I didn't want to give you wrong info.

Did she legally change her name in court or simply stop using the hyphenation on her own?

If she legally changed it, it should be very easy for you to get her passport changed. If not, you may need documentation before they will do a name change.

OK, I'm totally clueless having never done a cruise before and having only flown a few times in my life . . . and the only foreign country I've been to has been Canada.

So here's my question . . . or maybe it's questions.

My wife and I have passports . . . obtained them several years back. So I'm packing everything up for our trip this week when I realize that her passport has her "old" name of Johnson-Blaunk (from when we got married and she decided to keep her old family name) . . . but a few years back she got tired of writing out the long name on medical forms (she's a nurse and would write out her name a lot in the course of the day) so she changed it to Johnson, dropping the "Blaunk."

Will this be an issue while flying from CT to Puerto Rico? Will this be an issue getting on or off the cruise ship? Will this be an issue going into any of the ports (Antigua, Barbados, St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Dominica)? Will this be an issue coming back into Puerto Rico? When presenting your passport do you need to also present your driver's license or copy of a birth certificate? If the passport is no longer valid due to the name change, can she get by with only her driver's license and birth certificate?

More to the point . . . is the dropped hyphenated name a big deal or am I getting paranoid for no good reason?

Thank you to all who can help answer these questions.

If your passport is up to date and matches the names on the airline ticket and the cruise ticket it matters little what is on your updated license. I can't comment on the "-" In this day and age its probably better it all matches. Can't predict what over zealous TSA or customs may choose to do if a "-" don't match:eek: Since you haven't traveled yet just have your tickets updated to match your passport might be easier then getting your passport and other things changed.

If you got a couple extra weeks, I'd suggest you use this opportunity to get all the things aligned including the passport!!

My wife has a similar story. After many years finally changed her name. Even after that she dragged changing her name on credit cards and drivers license, finally doing it last year. We traveled overseas with no issues as her plane ticket and passport were the same, but CC and license were not. Overseas your passport is the one and most important document. This year she finally got around to changing her passport, took a little less then two weeks.

After some e-mails and phone calls I think I'm set . . .

American Airlines said my wife only needs to have her driver's license so we should be all set in terms of flying.

I was able to get the TA to change the cruise ship information to match my wife's passport so I'm assuming getting on board will not be an issue now as she can use her passport.

I am assuming that once we get on the ship we will be able to get off at the various ports without using a passport since I have seen many discussions about the pros- and cons- of bringing one's passport on the islands.

I can only assume that once we get back and need to clear customs that my wife will be able to use her passport to get back to the US . . . either that or she'll have to learn how to make towel animals as she may be stuck on board the Destiny . . . kind of a Carribean version of Charlie on the MTA. ;) :D

That said.

A) When we come back we will be changing her passport to reflect her current name ASAP!

and

B) Just in case, we'll be bringing her birth certificate and the name change documentation . . . better safe than sorry.

Thanks to all who have taken time to respond to this thread . . . your comments and information was truly appreciated.

Archived