Fuel Surcharge

BcIcemen

Attorney General Bill McCollum called the Royal agreement a model. "I expect the other companies to take this example and follow suit," he said.

A spokesman for the world's largest cruise company, Miami-based Carnival Corp., said Tuesday that his company has not yet reached a similar agreement. "We're still in discussions with the attorney general's office," said Carnival spokesman Tim Gallagher, "but we've not reached a settlement at this time."

bump
Im not sure why you are bumping this. Carnival has not agreed to refund the surcharges on cruises booked before the surcharge was announced. There is no other news other than folks who are repeating what Carnival reps have been told to say. "they are still in talks with the FL AG".

Until the talks end, which probably arent something to expect in less than 24 hours like your bump suggests Id guess, no one is going to be able to give you any other information other than posting they would like the money back.

Im not sure why you are bumping this. Carnival has not agreed to refund the surcharges on cruises booked before the surcharge was announced. There is no other news other than folks who are repeating what Carnival reps have been told to say. "they are still in talks with the FL AG".

Until the talks end, which probably arent something to expect in less than 24 hours like your bump suggests Id guess, no one is going to be able to give you any other information other than posting they would like the money back.

This "bump" as it is used on other sites is so that this discussion doesnt get lost and go onto the second page. It just keeps it visable.

This "bump" as it is used on other sites is so that this discussion doesnt get lost and go onto the second page. It just keeps it visable.

Per CC Guidelines:

Board Manipulation, Rich Text, Graphic Images The creation of additional user names by members with the intention to deceive Cruise Critic members, or to inflate their opinions by manipulating a discussion will not be allowed. These users will be banned from posting on the boards, user names blocked as well as all resulting IP addresses associated with said user names.

The use of these features on our message boards can greatly enhance your online Cruise Board experiences. However, postings that are difficult to read, too BIG or too small, too light in color, etc., will be returned to you so that you may repost. Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time.

This "bump" as it is used on other sites is so that this discussion doesnt get lost and go onto the second page.

That's why you don't want to "Bump" up a post. Posts that go to the second and third page is because there is no longer any interest the thread... no one has anything more to add.

i am getting ready to book fascination for 4/21 and expedia is not adding a fuel surcharge to my reservation, don't know if it will later but that makes it $40 cheaper than every other site i have checked

Comparing rates I see that the surcharge is added in...

Cruise rate 270 pp using 4C (as an example)

Port 99.00

Misc 43.22

Fuel 20

Total pp 432.22 total for two 964.44

Expedia 879.44 (this includes 15.00 Expedia service charge)

I am extremely interested in this topic. I was appalled at the idea that Carnival Cruise could just add the cost of $70 to my cruise after I had already booked and paid the deposit. If I were to do anything of the sort, it would cost me. But I guess when you are a multi-million dollar company you can do whatever you want and get away with it because people don't want to discuss the issue. BUMP if you have to keep the topic fresh!!!!!!

I just got off Royals Explorer and we got the fuel surcharge as an onboard credit about half way thru the cruise. It was a nice gesture. We first received a letter outling the plan then checked the tv after dinner and there was a 90dollar credit(45pp).

Better take a look at this article... Even one of the big Investment Bankers think the fuel surcharge disclosure has existed in Carnival's contract for years.

I dont know if that frees them from the aggreement they made with the Florida AG in 97.

Cruiseship Lines Agree To Change Advertising Policies

TALLAHASSEE -- Six cruise ship lines operating out of Florida ports will pay a total of $295,500 and revise their advertising policies to settle allegations that they misled consumers about cruise costs, Attorney General Bob Butterworth announced today.

The companies entering separate agreements with the state include Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Norwegian Cruise Line Limited, Celebrity Cruises Inc., Dolphin Cruise Line and Majesty Cruise Line.

Butterworth accused the lines of charging consumers more for so-called "port charges" than necessary to cover actual dockage costs and keeping the difference. Port charges as defined by the cruise lines can equal nearly 30 percent of the price of the cruise itself.

"Port charges should only reflect the fees cruise ships actually pay for use of port facilities and services," Butterworth said. "The companies have included such things in port charges as their own operating expenses for fuel, fresh water and wages. The consumer winds up paying the cruise line more than the advertised price of the cruise, and that is inherently deceptive."

Under the agreements, the cruise lines can no longer charge customers any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price except those fees actually passed on by the company to a governmental agency.

Approximately 2 million people take cruises out of Florida ports each year, Butterworth said. The six cruise ship lines entering agreements with the state represent more than 60 percent of that market.

The attorney general said negotiations with other cruise ship lines over the port charge issue are continuing and his goal is the establishment of a uniform, industry-wide advertising policy.

The agreement was handled by Assistant Attorneys General Jack Norris and Todd Stone, Special Counsel Phil Shailer and Investigator Terrence O'Loughlin.

Why has Carnival not settled this issue yet? Suppose there could be a number of reasons 1) they actually think the rule does not apply to them because of the statement in there "contracts" 2) They are trying to convince the FL AG that the rule doesn't apply 3) they are reaping $$ from interest the longer they can slow roll it. I suspect they will end up doing the refund at some point - RCL didn't give the money back out of the kindness of their heart which would lead one to believe charging it in the first place was a bad idea from a legal standpoint

Archived