Formal nights

Lizard©

on PD, what did you wear and did most people dress up.

I have a pair of evening dress pants (skirts and dresses are not me) and a nice beaded top, will that be ok?? :confused:

Lizard©

I imagine people dress similarly on the Pacific Dawn as on the Pacific Sun. We have been on cruises out of the US, and have noticed that American passengers dress up a bit more than Australians. Your evening dress pants and beaded top will be totally suitable, not under-dressed. Enjoy.:D:D

on PD, what did you wear and did most people dress up.

I have a pair of evening dress pants (skirts and dresses are not me) and a nice beaded top, will that be ok?? :confused:

Lizard©

That will be fine Liz and you will look lovely. You dont ahve to have the evening dress or the white tie and tails:D

Icy

Oh Cool, thanks guys. :)

Hubby has suits but evening wear is not a thing I have normally. :rolleyes:

It's always nice to know these things before you leave.

Wouldn't want to be wearing the wrong thing. :cool:

Oh Cool, thanks guys. :)

Hubby has suits but evening wear is not a thing I have normally. :rolleyes:

It's always nice to know these things before you leave.

Wouldn't want to be wearing the wrong thing. :cool:

By the way, on the Australian ships, the men usually don't wear suits except on formal nights. This can be an ordinary suit or a dinner suit. On other nights they wear long trousers and a smart casual shirt (no tie). :D

Also going on the PD.

Do men have to wear a jacket to the formal night or just a long sleeve shirt and tie.??

Hubby not to keen to wear a jacket but he's happy to wear l/s shirt and tie.

Also going on the PD.

Do men have to wear a jacket to the formal night or just a long sleeve shirt and tie.??

Nearly all the men wear a jacket, a suit or dinner suit (with tie or bow tie). The P & O Cruising Guide states 'Dinner jacket and tie, or suit for men'. I don't think your husband would be turned away for not wearing a jacket, and there would probably be a few others similarly dressed. Probably not many though. Up to him and how he feels about it. :D:D

By the way, on the Australian ships, the men usually don't wear suits except on formal nights. This can be an ordinary suit or a dinner suit. On other nights they wear long trousers and a smart casual shirt (no tie). :D

On the non-formal nights men just need to wear a 'collared shirt' - so quite a few wore polo shirts.

Also going on the PD.

We've only been on two cruises (Pacific Star & Pacific Sun) - so can't comment on anything other than that ---- on both of ours the majority of men would have had a jacket on for dinner on formal nights. Quite a few of the 'younger' (ie late teenager/early twenty-year old) men wore good shirts (sometimes without ties).

Just had another thought - hopefully someone could answer.

We are travelling with 15yr and 16yr boys. I'm presuming they could still attend formal night dinner wearing a short sleeve collared shirt and jeans as there's no way they will dress up nor do they have a suit.

Or, will they have to go to the buffet (Cafe de sol) which I'm presuming is not a dress up affair as it would be if dining in the dining room.

tks

On the non-formal nights men just need to wear a 'collared shirt' - so quite a few wore polo shirts.

Can men wear tee shirts when dining in the dining room on non-formal nights?

What about if eating at the buffet (cafe de sol) can men wear 'good' tee shirts and jeans OR it is collared shirts and good dress pants at every dining venue ??

We are travelling with 15yr and 16yr boys. I'm presuming they could still attend formal night dinner wearing a short sleeve collared shirt and jeans as there's no way they will dress up nor do they have a suit.

Or, will they have to go to the buffet (Cafe de sol) which I'm presuming is not a dress up affair as it would be if dining in the dining room.

tks

If they were my sons I would get them to wear long trousers and a collared shirt (not a polo shirt). Tie if they would. I wouldn't be thinking about suits. No-one would look twice at teenagers dressed like that. I have seen an occasional guy wearing a dark-coloured bomber jacket with a shirt and tie. It was all he had and it looked OK.

The buffet is not dress-up.:D:D

tks

My nephew wore jeans and a short sleeved collared shirt to the dining room on the Pacific Sun on casual nights (he's 16). He did take a better pair of pants with him in case they were being strict on jeans ... but they were letting people in with them. (It can depend on who's on the door I've heard! We had - on the first day of our cruise - people being turned away from the dining room for afternoon tea because they had shorts on .... they didn't continue as too many complained!!!!)

The Pacific Dawn may be different - I'm sure someone who'se cruised recently may be able to shed some light on that for you.

Can men wear tee shirts when dining in the dining room on non-formal nights?

What about if eating at the buffet (cafe de sol) can men wear 'good' tee shirts and jeans OR it is collared shirts and good dress pants at every dining venue ??

That trusty old P & O Cruising Guide says 'Smart Casual evenings - long trousers and a polo or collared shirt for men.' I don't think this would be enforced in the buffet dining area, but they may ask passengers to adhere to the dress code in the show lounge.:D:D

Also going on the PD.

Heres a pic of our table on our formal night in 2006, as you can see, none of the men had a jacket on, but a tie and nice shirt, (thats two of my gorgeous kids in the front:p )

1548234549_a100ee4e5a.jpg?v=0

Chez

xx

Noice photo Chez!:D

Thanks Linda:) They look so much older now:eek: thats was 2 years ago, but wow, it was so great to take them on a cruise, the middle one stayed behind as he was doing his HSC:( we had so much fun, and our table mates just loved the kids!!

Chez

xx

on the dawn in november there didnt seem to be any dress regulations in the show lounge. I went to several shows after dining at the buffet in my ordinary clothing.They dont have someone on the door like they do at the main dining room so it doesnt really matter what u wear to the shows.Maybe on one of those 5 star ships u might have to.:confused:

Icy

Yes, that attire is OK in the buffet, even on formal nights. I don't think the T-shirts even need to be that good.

if you dont plan on eating in dining room you can save a fair bit of packing space.. we took way to many collared/dress shirts & only wore one for the first formal night, after that is was t shirts & shorts in cafe de sol

Chez.

Beautiful photo.

Puts my hubby's mind at rest too..he was

panicking about having room to pack a

jacket.(Think he is taking more than me:D )

Yeah, a picture speaks a thousand words, my hubby refuses to take a jacket on a cruise, he says "we are in the tropics":p..... he is a casual dresser most of the time, but doesnt mind doning the shirt and tie for formal night......cant believe he actually mentioned he wanted to go on the Queen Victoria when he saw her in Sydney........will tell him he will have to wear the whole suit every night after we have made a booking:p ;)

Chez

xx

Archived