All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Have a few questions about the FOS. We are set to go in August and have a large family going. It will be 6 adults, and 3 kids- ages 4, 9, 14.

1. Are there any theme nights? How do I find out what/when?

2. Is Sorrento's free? If so, what sorts of things are offered there?

3. Is the ship pretty handicapped accessible? My 4 yr old has special needs and we will either be bringing her wheelchair/stroller. Pictures I see of the promenade seem to have many staircases. Are we going to be going out of our way a lot to hit elevators to navigate the ship?

4. We want to do many things as a family, but also want the kids to be able to have a good time doing what they want in the adventure ocean program. Does it seem that we can have both? I like things like the trivia games, or family game shows, etc. Will the younger kids be bored while we are participating? and is it even easy for us to participate?

5. I would love to hear any ideas for shore excursions (eastern caribbean). Things that would be easy for us to get away for a bit with the older children, but not too far away. OR what beaches are the best, esp. for my 4 yr old with special needs.

Thanks a lot!!

When are you guys going in Aug? We are there for the Aug 15th sailing :) I also noticed you're from VA too.. We live in Glen Allen.

just wanted to get an update and find out if they are opening the balcony dividers on FOS? we have three E1 cabins and hoping they will. TIA. :)

When I went the answer was a STRICT NO and I've heard the policy has basically remained intact, with few exceptions. It's for fire safety purposes as open doors mean fires spread much more quickly down balconies. Try your luck by asking your stateroom attendant your first day, who will probably you they no longer cannot do it. Anyone - correct me if I'm wrong...!

just wanted to get an update and find out if they are opening the balcony dividers on FOS? we have three E1 cabins and hoping they will. TIA. :)

I would like to know this as well. We have two balconies and would like to open them up. Thanks.

eta - sorry, just saw an answer.

Edited by TheWog

When are you guys going in Aug? We are there for the Aug 15th sailing :) I also noticed you're from VA too.. We live in Glen Allen.

Aw, we sail on the 29th. =( Very familiar with the Glen Allen area. I'm from Lake Gaston, but have some family in Glen Allen/ Short pump area. Love it up there!!

I've read a lot about how early you can get off the ship, but does anyone know what the latest is you can get off. Our flight isn't until 2:00, so we won't be in any hurry. I gave our driver a pick up time of 10:00, but he's saying that we will have to be off the ship a lot earlier.

I suppose you could ask for a later time to depart the ship. What we did on our Liberty cruise in April was to go on an excursion in Miami. We saw the everglades, and they took us to the airport afterwards. I think we got to the airport at around 11:30 or so.

I've read a lot about how early you can get off the ship, but does anyone know what the latest is you can get off. Our flight isn't until 2:00, so we won't be in any hurry. I gave our driver a pick up time of 10:00, but he's saying that we will have to be off the ship a lot earlier.

They want you off early- 9:30am is latest- if you take your own luggage you are supposed to debark between 6 and 7am- then they start calling groups- they want you eat breakfast in Windjammer then wait around in the promenade or a lounge area so they can clean rooms- but by all means they will chase you off by 9:30am

we were in a E1 on Freedom and the 2 rooms next to us opened their balconies, so I've seen it be done this past week- maybe it does depend on your cabin steward- ours was great and he was happy to always help

we were in a E1 on Freedom and the 2 rooms next to us opened their balconies, so I've seen it be done this past week- maybe it does depend on your cabin steward- ours was great and he was happy to always help

wonder if you slip the steward a $20 he would open that baby up for us. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
wonder if you slip the steward a $20 he would open that baby up for us. :cool:

You will have to ask what the policy of the ship is..some Captains allow..some don't.

I doubt your room steward would jeopardize his job for a whopping $20.

They want you off early- 9:30am is latest- if you take your own luggage you are supposed to debark between 6 and 7am- then they start calling groups- they want you eat breakfast in Windjammer then wait around in the promenade or a lounge area so they can clean rooms- but by all means they will chase you off by 9:30am

The numbers were 1-25, we were 24 and they called us at 9:15 along with #25. Practically the last ones off.

Edited by SunFunCruiser

TA sent the Freedom Class brochure which said there was wi-fi service in the Staterooms. Is this true or only true for some staterooms?

Just off the FOS, it said wi fi in the rooms, but it rarely worked. Our cabin was all the way aft and worked on the balcony, but nowhere else. It worked in the public areas. Everyone was complaining about it not working in the cabins.

Has anyone stayed in one of the accessible inside cabins?

I booked my parents in an accessible cabin in deck 10 back on our Dec 2009 cruise. I'll try and post a pic when I get a chance. What would you like to know?

We sailed 2 weeks ago on FOS and had 3 cabins together and had the sliders opened. It was like having one big balcony.

IMG_0697.jpg.f628bea9cfda2a088e818f50e8cfe7d4.jpg

we are thinking about booking for May 2011 in an aft balcony on deck 10..has anyone stayed in these..i heard the balcony on the far aft cabins was much bigger than normal.

we had an aft on deck 8 (8412), much larger balcony. I love aft cabins. I'm not sure I would pick deck 10 as noise might be overhead.

That cabin 8412 has a door adjoining the suite next door doesnt it? Was there any noise coming from the other room or are the adjoining doors pretty solid. I dont like hotel rooms with the adjoining doors for this reason and was wondering about the cruise rooms. Do you have any idea what the balcony on the room to the other side of your cabins was like..it says limited ocean view for that one.Any pics? thx

I booked my parents in an accessible cabin in deck 10 back on our Dec 2009 cruise. I'll try and post a pic when I get a chance. What would you like to know?

I did think of a question. Do you remember if the cabin had a loveseat or 2 chairs? Thanks!!!!