Customs Help - Felony Charge - any experience ???

crystalclean

yes, already has a passport !

Seem to get different answers from everyone I ask.

Attorney refers us to customs, customs (800 number) referred us to our local office, local office referred us to Port of Miami Customs and Port of Miami (passenger operations) says, "no warrant, no problem"

I think I will have the attorney write a letter re-stating that there are no travel restrictions.

It would just be a nightmare to get all the way to Miami (with our whole family) only for my 18 yr old to be turned away !

Thanks for all the comments !

I might try a couple more calls to the Port -- just to see what else they have to say.

Sounds like you are getting the run around which is not pleasant when you are trying to finish your plans for vacation.

I agree with bobbo that you might need to see about another attorney. He or she should be willing to get you the correct answer.

I would call your local law enforcement office and see what they say. Each state and county are different. It will depend on what the rules and laws are for your area and the specifics for his case.

All I can tell you about is our personal experience. Our DS ("D" not standing for "Dear" in this case), was busted in 2005 with a fake drivers license he had so he could buy beer. He was 19 at the time. He was arrested and had to get a bail bondsman. :mad: I could had killed him!

In 2006 (still no court date or anything else has come up) he cruised with us on RCI. We didn't know at the time he wasn't suppose to go out of the country (according to the bail bondsman paperwork) because of all that mess. But he did with no trouble.

Last summer (still no court date or anything) he applied and got his passport with no trouble for a cruise in 01/2008.

He cruised this past January with us. We let the bondsman know this time, and they said there would be no problem.

Last month it passed the 3 year mark since the arrest. The bondman had told him before that if nothing happens (court date, etc.) within the 3 year mark, it will be dropped due to the statue of limitations running out.

Don't know the details of your situation, but this is what has happened to us. If I were doing anything different, I would had checked with the bail bondsman before taking him out of the country in January of 2006. I didn't know til we got back, when reading some old paperwork that we were suppose to notify them if he did something like that.

Kids! Aren't they great! Lol!! :eek:

Assuming there is no bond restriction, you can go to your local law-enforcement agency and explain the problem. They can run a NCIC check for you and if the name does not come up in any capacity, there will be no problem. The TSA does a background check of persons on the ships passenger manifest through the NCIC link and flags those names that may be of concern.

Good luck!

thanks for sharing karshrimp . . . we have no travel restrictions except for staying out of a particular county (college town) in a particular state.

Our attorney has written a letter for us stating this and his availability to address the situation with the proper authorities should the need arise.

"reverend"? . . . uh oh !! whatever happened to "mercy" or is it "grace"? Mmmm ?

I will find some local police to run that check . . . thanks everyone for your insight!

All in good fun !

oh! and consequences? . . . workin his butt off to pay every last cent to the attorney,court costs,fees,etc...

You need to get a new attorney because if he/she can't or won't give you an answer then they're not doing there job! Even a public defender is capable of giving you the right answer. Trust no one else, because it'll come back and bite you in the a**. That's what attorneys are for...they're familiar with your case and familar with the restrictions of your bail. If they're refering you to someone else, fire them and then contact your states bar association.

The absolute BEST ADVICE in this thread. :)

who is that you think will do a background check during embarkation ? The check-in staff ? The security agents who x-ray your luggage ? Not them. He'll be allowed to check- in and board the ship.

However, once the ship sails, and US Immgration/Customs has looked over the passenger manifest, there may be someone waiting for him on the pier when he returns from the cruise.

The bondman had told him before that if nothing happens (court date, etc.) within the 3 year mark, it will be dropped due to the statue of limitations running out.

Um, unless it's made of marble or plaster, it's a statute of limitations. :D

I don't believe that is correct. That is why they now require the list 60 min. before sailing. A person with back child support has been know to have missed the ship.

I was waiting for Liv and Duck to jump in and tell it how it should be. Mine's butt would be home and there wouldn't be a problem.

I have no experience with this (thank goodness) but since your attorney seems less than convinced about what to do....I would talk to the Bail Bondman and get a letter from them.

It is their money on the line and they probably know more about "the law" then all the attorneys put together.

The only thing that makes me think it "might" be a no is because it is a felony.

Good Luck.

I was waiting for Liv and Duck to jump in and tell it how it should be. Mine's butt would be home and there wouldn't be a problem.

Exactly what are you saying? Nothing wrong with being able to call a spade a spade and express ones own opinion.:confused:

Assuming there is no bond restriction, you can go to your local law-enforcement agency and explain the problem. They can run a NCIC check for you and if the name does not come up in any capacity, there will be no problem. The TSA does a background check of persons on the ships passenger manifest through the NCIC link and flags those names that may be of concern.

Good luck!

He won't have anything on NCIC, no conviction or warrant.
Personally I'd leave the little SOB standing on the pier waving as the ship goes bye-bye.

Maybe he'd learn actions have consequences.

Me too! I'd also hire someone to watch him.

Don't know if this matters or not but I was listening to the radio this morning and they were dealing with the Detroit mayor and "alleged girlfriend". They were released on $75,000 personal bond and are allowed to travel within the USA without permission but were instructed not to leave the country.

Personally I'd leave the little SOB standing on the pier waving as the ship goes bye-bye.

Maybe he'd learn actions have consequences.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Hmmm... seems I did it all wrong in my own youth. If I had committed a felony crime, my parents might have taken my happy ass on a lovely cruise vacation! :confused:

Wow !

Lots of judgemental attitudes here ! . . . I know all of YOU have some very perfect teenagers !

NEVER been in the "jurisdiction" -- think "visiting a college town for one night"

then next . . . your minds are going off the way too serious deep end !

I can almost guarantee most of you (us) have done this (think skipping stones across some water) --now think a hard-working official wanting to teach an 18 y/o a lesson ! I know you can't imagine . . . but its true !

Absolutely NO travel restrictions - -I, too after much research think he will be fine to board, mind you, this is not a "Spring Break" celebration but a family reunion !

Ready for some more sarcasm . . .

Your cryptic type of posting makes it very difficult to understand your points, but suffice it to say that you are the parent, and you know best. It does appear that there are people who seem to be rewarding bad behavior, but we obviously don't have all the information. I can't imagine, however, that a person would be charged with a felony crime for skipping stones. ???

Anyway, it's good that you seem to have figured out the situation and I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Archived