Are you able to bring wine/alcohol onboard?

honeymoon06

I agree with my fellow Coloradoan on this one.

I believe your questions is one of two:

1) Canyou bring wine and champagne on board? The answer to that one is technically, Yes.

2) Can you bring on other forms of alcohol? The answer to that one is you probably can just as long as you don't back up a beer truck and bring cases of beer or whiskey on board but techincally, no. Discretion is the key.

I'll let you know what my experiences are as I leave on the CB on the 30th.

We will soon be sailing on the Emerald. Are you allowed/able to bring wine/alcohol onboard when we board the ship at fort lauderdale?

thanks.

One bottle of wine each, the rest has to be in the checked luggage. Really good prices at Total wine (store) off 17th street. Isn't that why bubble wrap and ziploc bags were invented:rolleyes:

Jan

Where does it actually say only one botle per person? I have checked the Princess web site and in the book they sent me and no where can I see where it says only one bottle of wine. What it does say is that you can bring Champagne and Wine if you are celebrating, I guess have vacation is a cause to celebrate!!

Kimberley

We sailed on the Emerald in Feb. We checked 1 case of wine as luggage and tipped him a $20. Case got to our cabin before our luggage. 4 of us also carried 4 bottles each in our carry-on just in case we had trouble with the case (yes, we went a little overboard so to speak) and that was never an issue either.

Take it with you and enjoy!

Where does it actually say only one botle per person? I have checked the Princess web site and in the book they sent me and no where can I see where it says only one bottle of wine. What it does say is that you can bring Champagne and Wine if you are celebrating, I guess have vacation is a cause to celebrate!!

Kimberley

In the Cruise Answer Book. BUT........the passenger contract does not limit you!! So I have my handy dandy copy of the passenger contract ready in case they stop us as we board the Diamond Princess a week from Tuesday. :D However, we have taken a full case of wine onboard before and never been stopped! :D

In the Cruise Answer Book. BUT........the passenger contract does not limit you!! So I have my handy dandy copy of the passenger contract ready in case they stop us as we board the Diamond Princess a week from Tuesday. :D However, we have taken a full case of wine onboard before and never been stopped! :D

When you say "onboard" you mean checked with your luggage, correct? Not your carryon.

We will soon be sailing on the Emerald. Are you allowed/able to bring wine/alcohol onboard when we board the ship at fort lauderdale?

thanks.

Some people have taken to using these for non-wine beverages and then packed them in checked luggage. From what I understand, bringing wine isn't a problem, but if you bring it into the dining room you will pay a corking fee.

If you plan to bring wine and drink it in your cabin, don't forget to bring a corkscrew! :)

When you say "onboard" you mean checked with your luggage, correct? Not your carryon.

Sorry -- didn't clarify! Not in the carryon -- we wheeled it right past security in a box that had a winery name on the outside. ;)

Some people have taken to using these for non-wine beverages and then packed them in checked luggage. From what I understand, bringing wine isn't a problem, but if you bring it into the dining room you will pay a corking fee.

If you plan to bring wine and drink it in your cabin, don't forget to bring a corkscrew! :)

Many people have paid corkage. For some reason, we never do -- we open the bottle in our stateroom and bring it to the dining room. I think it all depends on your wait staff and they decide if they are going to charge corkage. Candidly, the policy and approach are not consistent. :confused:

Many people have paid corkage. For some reason, we never do -- we open the bottle in our stateroom and bring it to the dining room. I think it all depends on your wait staff and they decide if they are going to charge corkage. Candidly, the policy and approach are not consistent. :confused:

I always make the assumption that I'll be charged, and if I'm not, it's a pleasant surprise! :)

I have not had a problem with bringing wine, beer, or liquor aboard upon embarkation or in ports. They know we are doing it; why do they keep our cabins stocked with hi-ball glasses, fresh ice and even a fridge? It is a matter of moderation and being discrete about it.

Just came back from the Emerald. I bough plastic bottles 26 oz of rum and whisky and 4 bottle of wine and we put them in our luguages between shirts and pants and got to our room with no problem.

Straight from the Horse's Mouth (aka "cruise Answer Book"),

QUOTE " Alcohol purchase at any port of call, including the port of embarkation may not be consumed onboard. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise prior to your embarkation.

You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person). If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee." END QUOTE.

There, that should end all the stuff on this subject once and for all...except that:

a. sometimes cruise staff don't care;

b. sometimes (90% of the time) the on-checked bags are not xrayed as they say they are; and

c. just sometimes ship's staff don't have keys if you have TSA approved locks on your luggage.

...oh well, there goes the Cruise Answer Book...anybody need some extra toilet paper?

Ciao for now!!!

QUOTE " Alcohol purchase at any port of call, including the port of embarkation may not be consumed onboard. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise prior to your embarkation.

You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person). If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee." END QUOTE.

There, that should end all the stuff on this subject once and for all...except that:

b. sometimes (90% of the time) the on-checked bags are not xrayed as they say they are; and

c. just sometimes ship's staff don't have keys if you have TSA approved locks on your luggage.

...oh well, there goes the Cruise Answer Book...anybody need some extra toilet paper?

Ciao for now!!!

I have the UK cruise Answer book in front of me and it reads similar to above but NO mention of the amount of wine being one bottle. I have also checked on the web site and it reads the same. I know what little book I will be carrying. I have also looked atmy cruise contract with nothing mentioned!!!

I guess it will depend on the day and a nice smile!!

Kimberley

Ciao for now!!!

I have the UK cruise Answer book in front of me and it reads similar to above but NO mention of the amount of wine being one bottle. I have also checked on the web site and it reads the same. I know what little book I will be carrying. I have also looked atmy cruise contract with nothing mentioned!!!

I guess it will depend on the day and a nice smile!!

Kimberley

This policy as not accessible to the ships crew, remember they are dissconected from the Corporte office/CSR's. :cool:

Before going on our recent cruise I had read all the comments about bringing alcohol on board. But i figured it was worth the gamble so I packed some alcohol and my handy dandy hand cocktail blender in my checked baggage and also some alcohol in my wife's suitcase.

So we get onboard and everyone else's suitcases show up at our cabins except mine. After awhile I called the purser's desk and was told they had a few unclaimed bags. I went and checked but of course mine wasn't there. A little while later the phone in our cabin rings and it's security asking me to come and open my suitcase. I'm figuring "OK I got caught".

So I head down to security. When I get their my suitcase has a big X taped on it. The Security Officer says on the X-ray it looks like I have a radio in my suitcase. So I open my bag and right where the X marks, is where the hand blender and my cell phone charger are. So I convince the security guard it's not a radio and he pokes around in my suitcase, but doesn't say a thing about any of the alcohol. So I point to the 40 ounce bottle of rum sitting in the middle of my bag and said "And you didn't see this right". He replies "I didn't see anything, I'm just glad to see you're not a terrorist.". So I pack up my bag and head on my way, alcohol intact.

Moral of the story, they probably don't really care if you stash a bottle or 3 in your luggage. Just leave the hand blender at home.

"Happy Cruising"

Before going on our recent cruise I had read all the comments about bringing alcohol on board. But i figured it was worth the gamble so I packed some alcohol and my handy dandy hand cocktail blender in my checked baggage and also some alcohol in my wife's suitcase.

So we get onboard and everyone else's suitcases show up at our cabins except mine. After awhile I called the purser's desk and was told they had a few unclaimed bags. I went and checked but of course mine wasn't there. A little while later the phone in our cabin rings and it's security asking me to come and open my suitcase. I'm figuring "OK I got caught".

So I head down to security. When I get their my suitcase has a big X taped on it. The Security Officer says on the X-ray it looks like I have a radio in my suitcase. So I open my bag and right where the X marks, is where the hand blender and my cell phone charger are. So I convince the security guard it's not a radio and he pokes around in my suitcase, but doesn't say a thing about any of the alcohol. So I point to the 40 ounce bottle of rum sitting in the middle of my bag and said "And you didn't see this right". He replies "I didn't see anything, I'm just glad to see you're not a terrorist.". So I pack up my bag and head on my way, alcohol intact.

Moral of the story, they probably don't really care if you stash a bottle or 3 in your luggage. Just leave the hand blender at home.

"Happy Cruising"

Too funny!

I've brought a wine shipper box with 12 bottles on each 7 day cruise with Princess I've been on in checked baggage....never a problem. Usually it's the first to arrive!

Ditto. Why carry it on? I slap a luggage tag on the box, tip the porter, and have yet to be disappointed.

I would say, the dining room is getting more consistent about corkage, though.

Archived