Just back from the Vision (Mexican Riviera)- any ?'s ????

nunk

We're leaving in 2 1/2 weeks - can you tell us what the best part(s) of the cruise was, the worst part(s) - what not to miss in any of the ports and any hints.

Also, how was the weather?

ANY info would be very much appreciated, this is our trip doing the Mex. RIviera.

Thank You!!!

We have the same cruise booked later this summer and I wondered what shape the ship is in.

I know it is an older ship and likely has been refurbished but how is it now?

I would like to say first that the Vision is the only RCI ship we have sailed so far. That being said, I think she is in great shape. We have taken the Vision 3 times in the last 3 years and she still looked as good this time as the first. There is always some type of cleaning going on. The bedding was new and very comfortable. There is some signs of normal wear and tear, but only what is expected of a 10+ year old ship. The cruise itself was wonderful and I am sure you will love it!

We're leaving in 2 1/2 weeks - can you tell us what the best part(s) of the cruise was, the worst part(s) - what not to miss in any of the ports and any hints.

Also, how was the weather?

ANY info would be very much appreciated, this is our trip doing the Mex. RIviera.

Thank You!!!

The best and worst, huh? Well, to start I would say that there was not much of "the worst". We had a wonderful time! The best part of the cruise was how relaxing it was. Even though we went last week and saw signs of "spring break" happening, we still felt like we were on a big ship with not a lot of people. The food and service was very good. The entertainment was entertaining and we lucked out with beautiful weather!

In Cabo we had extremely hot temps so it didn't make for a good "walk around" day. Our girls decided they wanted to do the dolphin swim at Cabo Dolphins. This was so worth the $! They were in the water for about 45 minutes and got to ride, feed, kiss and hang out with the dolphin--a must do if this is any desire for you or your family/friends. I also heard that the Lover's Beach trip is well worth it! In Matzalan, we chose to just shop the flea market right at the pier and not go into town. It was just what we wanted and enjoyed it. In PV, we took the city tour which was ok. Not sure it was really worth the $ but I will say that our tour guide was very knowledgeable. We learned a lot about PV and were taken to a quaint little Mexican restaurant called El Patio. We really enjoyed that!

If you have kids, they will probably enjoy the kids club. My children LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. Hardly saw them the whole trip.

I was surprised to see that the WJ serves almost the exact menu at night that the dining room does. We had never had dinner in there before. It was nice because there were 2 of the 7 nights that we just didn't feel like getting dressed for the dining room so we ate in the WJ and still felt fed! ;) It was very uncrowded (about 7:30) and the atomosphere was great.

Make sure you ask for an egg carton if you will be using the sofa bed! Ask ASAP because they are limited. My kids missed out and believe me- they had reason to complain. The sofa bed was very hard.

If you like being poolside, wake up and get your spot VERY early. People were on the lounges by 9. We were happy to sit on the top level. The music was heard but not overbearing and I felt less "cramped".

Finally, the only thing I can really say was a complaint was my experiences with room service- not the delivering of it, but of the person answering the phone for it. I was constantly told I couldn't order chicken fingers (my 4 year old's favorite) until after 7pm. One day in the dining room for lunch, the waiter said it was not a problem to get it from room service. I went back to my room and called only to be told again that it wasn't possible. I advised what the dining room told me and 30 minutes later our chicken arrived. Not much of a complaint but I do feel like the person on the other end of the phone was a bit annoyed the few times we called. :confused:

Anything else I can answer?

Nicole

Thanks, Nicole, for your great review! We're leaving in a couple of weeks for our first cruise on the Vision with our 6 and 9 year old sons. Just a couple of questions ... did you book the dolphin excursion before you left or when you arrived in Cabo? How was the weather on the first and last sail days? Was it too cool for the pool? Were there many children in the kids club?

We can't wait!!

Nicole, how did you like Capt Roger?

Capt. Stein has a wonderful voice!

Pictures...we want pictures! :D :)

We're booked in a corner aft balcony...7152. We leave on December 7th. :) Can't wait! :eek:

Will work on the pics. As for your cabin- you will love the balcony. We had 7652 two years ago, 8588 last year and shared 8088 this year-- all corner aft cabins. They do not disappoint. One note- we did not have sun at all on our balcony on the way down to Cabo. That was a bit disappointing since I wanted to get some sun away from the pool, but the view made up for it. We had plenty of sun on the way up from PV. So beautiful! :D

Thanks, Nicole, for your great review! We're leaving in a couple of weeks for our first cruise on the Vision with our 6 and 9 year old sons. Just a couple of questions ... did you book the dolphin excursion before you left or when you arrived in Cabo? How was the weather on the first and last sail days? Was it too cool for the pool? Were there many children in the kids club?

We can't wait!!

You are so lucky to be leaving soon!

As for the dolphins, we waited until we got into Cabo and took our chance that something would be available. At first they told us there was no availability until 4pm which would have been too late for us to make it back to the ship, but then we asked someone else a few minutes later and they were able to get us in at 2. I asked for space for my 4 year old but they only run that group in the early am and we had missed it. If you know for certain you want to do this with your boys, I would recommend booking online with the place directly. It was Cabo Dolphins and they will refund if the cruise ship misses for weather related reasons. Our girls are 13 and 10 got to do the swim. I think your boys would do the one for younger ones, but still full of fun! The weather on the first sail day was warm. Not hot and not cold. There were many at the pool. On the last day no one was at the pool or really spent much time outside because it was windy and chilly! I believe that is usually how it is on the way home this time of the year. As for the club, since the kids can go anytime from 9-12 and then 2-5 and then 7-10 (without paying extra) there were different amounts of children at each time. The busiest time seemed to be the 7-10pm hour when the parents were dining and the kids wanted to play instead! On port days the club is open from around 8 am and stays open all day that the ship is docked in case you do not want to take them into port (my little ones begged to stay on board with their new friends in the club). Personal decision, but there was 1/2 dozen or more that were in the club all of the time (I think by the kids choice!:) ). Feel free to ask anything else and I will be happy to answer if I can.

Nicole

Thanks for the info., we'll be on her next month!

How was the dj?

How were the shops on the ship?

Room Service food?

Entertainers, who were they?

Another lucky cruiser!!

Not sure about the dj in the Viking Crown Lounge but I heard people (20's and 30's age) talking about what a great time that had one night. I believe it was disco night.

The shops on the ship are lacking. I guess...well, depending on what you are looking for. What would you want to buy on the ship? We have never bought anything from any of the ship shops because there wasn't anything we wanted/needed but I saw plenty of people walk out of them (there are only 4, I think) with packages in hand.

Didn't have much room service. Coffe in the am works well if you don't want to rush out and they will try to accomodate any request for specific kind of pastry or cereal you request. My mom had lunch turkey sandwhich on the last sail day when she was feeling a bit queasy. The bread alone was amazing! Saw lots and lots of empty plates outside the doors of many as we walked down the hallway daily so I think there is probably something for everyone!

As for entertainment- There was a magic show which was just ok, nothing to write home about but there were two tricks that had people talking. The BoogieWonderland (or something like that) got great reviews from everyone if you enjoy 70's music. Heard the comedian was funny and not family friendly. Can't think of anyone else right now- will check my compasses.

One note for all upcoming cruisers:

Don't forget to check both sides and the center for food in the Windjammer. There were different items everywhere which was not the case on our previous cruises on the Vision. Also, my kids loved the pizza and burgers and fries (as most kids do) from the Solarium.

Thanks for the answers!!!! DOING DOC DANCE, got them today!!!!

One more question:

Is the pool cold?

Is the Solarium crowded?

Are the fries really that good?

Sorry, I lied about one question!

I had another but forgot it!!

Oh! Time changes, what nights??

Thanks again, you're the best!

The fries are great, but I didn't like all the oregano in the burger. Pizza is just OK - filled the spot.

Conrad is the BEST DJ, if that was him!

They didn't have any time changes last week, because Mexico didn't do DST when the US/Canada did. Just check your compass, as they will post it on the first page. I hated changing the times, as I am a night owl, and oh, how I felt losing an hour twice.:o

Thought I'd drop these links in for those that have signatures turned off:

10-DAY WEATHER for Los Angeles, CA 4/6 & 13

10-DAY WEATHER for Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 4/8

10-DAY WEATHER for Mazatlan, Mexico 4/9

10-DAY WEATHER for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 4/10

We'll be on the April 6th sailing and can hardly sit still for the excitement.

Thanks for all of the information. Glad you had a great time :)

Thanks for the answers!!!! DOING DOC DANCE, got them today!!!!

One more question:

Is the pool cold?

Is the Solarium crowded?

Are the fries really that good?

Sorry, I lied about one question!

I had another but forgot it!!

Oh! Time changes, what nights??

Thanks again, you're the best!

ah yes...doc dance away!!!

no the pool was not cold. warm on a hot day, ok on the milder days. the solarium is no more crowded than anywhere else. there were a lot of people on the ship but I never felt crowded except right by the pool where the music plays during the day on sea days. I didn't like the fries but my kids LOVED them and hubby said they reminded him of Burger King fries. Pizza was ok and I don't eat red meat so I can't comment on the burgers. As for the time change, there wasn't one. The capt. said "stay on ship time at all times" so we did.

Glad to help! Ask anymore and I will answer if I can.

The fries are great, but I didn't like all the oregano in the burger. Pizza is just OK - filled the spot.

Conrad is the BEST DJ, if that was him!

They didn't have any time changes last week, because Mexico didn't do DST when the US/Canada did. Just check your compass, as they will post it on the first page. I hated changing the times, as I am a night owl, and oh, how I felt losing an hour twice.:o

That's the part I hate the most!! Losing the time! I think I dwell on it to much cuz I get pisssed for a few days because of that, lol! BEER TIME! Club TIME, POOL TIME!! SHOOT!

ah yes...doc dance away!!!

no the pool was not cold. warm on a hot day, ok on the milder days. the solarium is no more crowded than anywhere else. there were a lot of people on the ship but I never felt crowded except right by the pool where the music plays during the day on sea days. I didn't like the fries but my kids LOVED them and hubby said they reminded him of Burger King fries. Pizza was ok and I don't eat red meat so I can't comment on the burgers. As for the time change, there wasn't one. The capt. said "stay on ship time at all times" so we did.

Glad to help! Ask anymore and I will answer if I can.

Thanks again, I'll think of some more!!!

Oh, were any men wearing speedos??!! I don't want to be the only one!! JK!!!

Did you attend the PLat/Diam party?? I saw in a compass a few weeks ago they had it at 12:15pm on Friday.....I have always attended in the evening. If so, what did they serve at the party? Thanks.

Also who was your cd? Is John Blair back from vacation?

Did you attend the PLat/Diam party?? I saw in a compass a few weeks ago they had it at 12:15pm on Friday.....I have always attended in the evening. If so, what did they serve at the party? Thanks.

Also who was your cd? Is John Blair back from vacation?

No to the Plat/Diam party but we will be at the next one since this trip gave us Plat. status! :D

Our CD was Steve Williams. John and Katrina are still gone.

I leave this Sunday! Can't wait. How is the weather coming up the last two days. I hear it is very windy and the water is rough. Is it too windy to lay out?

Yes, don't plan on tanning on the last day. The pool deck is deserted. If you have an aft balcony you might be OK out of the wind. Or, go to the Solarium, and watch the pool water slosh all over!

I went to the Platinum/Diamond party in November. It was held in the evening between first and second seating. It might have been the second formal night, but I can't remember. I know the Welcome Back party was on the Monday night.

Will work on the pics. As for your cabin- you will love the balcony. We had 7652 two years ago, 8588 last year and shared 8088 this year-- all corner aft cabins. They do not disappoint. One note- we did not have sun at all on our balcony on the way down to Cabo. That was a bit disappointing since I wanted to get some sun away from the pool, but the view made up for it. We had plenty of sun on the way up from PV. So beautiful!

We are in cabin 8588 so if you have photos, please post!!

Also - I booked the Cabo Dolphins through RCCL. I went to the website and it was actually more expensive than on the ship!:eek:

Thinking about doing the Pirate ship in PV but it's 6 hours long. Does anyone have current pointers or ideas on what to do there or MZT? Got a 6 yo boy who would probably rather stay in Adventure Ocean but doggonnit, it's our vacation and he's going to have fun with us!!!:D

Archived