Montreal Hotel?

DH and I will be coming off the Maasdam on Sept. 6th. We are staying one night in Montreal.

Which hotel would you think is best? Holiday Inn Select on Viger St or Springhill Suites on St-Jean Baptiste.

We will not have a car but probably want to go to the Gardens, walk around Old Town, go to Notre Dame and walk around Chinatown.

We are not interested in shopping...just want to see the major sights.

Also...Does anyone know how we will go about finding transportation to the Gardens?

Please help...

I don't know what help I'll be to you since you're not interested in shopping - I usually do nothing but shop when I go to Montreal! (and visit my aunt... if I have time... :D )

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels, location-wise the Springhill Suites seems slightly better since it's more in Old Montreal I think, although the Holiday Inn is closer to the metro. You can get to the Botanical Gardens by metro, but I think it's a bit of a walk from the closest station, or maybe you can get a bus; here's the official STM site for more info: http://www.stm.info/English/a-somm.htm

spring hill suites...i have stayed there 4 or 5 times in the last 3 years..it's our favorite hotel...we love montreal, especially old montreal.

lots of great places to choose from for dinner....try chez suzette....go out the front door, turn left, walk to the end of the block, turn right, cross the street and it is right there....great fondue, great crepes and wine that is only 5 dollars over their cost....

or, don't cross the street...turn left, walk a few steps and go to the Keg steakhouse.

we just were there about 3 weeks ago!

Looking at a map, it looks as if it's right across the street, but, I'm not quite sure where the exact cruise ship dock is. If it's within a few blocks, it wouldnt be too hard to roll a suitcase there. We are also considering the hotel Auberge du Vieux Port. Know anything about that one?

Take a taxi, it's close but not walking distance with luggage

Which gardens? The botanical gardens? Take the metro, station is Pie IX (pronounced pee newf). Pick up a POM guide if you see it, it has coupons for some attractions in Montreal.

Walk to the closest metro station and take the metro to Pie-IX for the botanical garden. (Pie-IX or pee ne'wf is actually named after pope Piux the ninth, just the French way of writing it, but it's always pronounced in French, even amongst the English community in Montreal).

The insectarium is also next door. They have an annual buffet, but I'm just no longer sure what month. It used to be in the fall, but I think they changed it and I'm not sure what time of year they do it. I found a picture someone took from the buffet... Montreal Insectarium Buffet

You also get to see the Olympic stadium from quite close, since it's on the other side of the street. The only building that almost all Montrealers agree on what we want for it's future... demolition. It's big, it beautiful and it's utterly useless.

Archived