Sidewalks in Skagway and Ketchikan

Molly the Cat

My mom and I are on our first Alaska cruise (Star Princess May 4) and I'll be pushing her around in a wheelchair. Are the sidewalks in these picturesque towns also picturesque? Cobbled, boardwalk badly uneven? Or plain poured-cement sidwalks?

Thanks

Alix

My mom and I are on our first Alaska cruise (Star Princess May 4) and I'll be pushing her around in a wheelchair. Are the sidewalks in these picturesque towns also picturesque? Cobbled, boardwalk badly uneven? Or plain poured-cement sidwalks?

Thanks

Alix

I managed with my mom in a wheelchair in both ports. The sidewalks are reasonable, but some are steep/hilly so will need to be careful with weight management and getting up and down curbs, since not all have curb cuts for chairs.

I would say that Ketchikan is a little bit more hilly then Skagway which I found was flat. They do have some board sidewalks in Skagway but it really is not bad. In Ketchikan right outside of the pier area is a board section but then it goes onto cememt sidewalks.

Marilyn

Hills in Ketchkan?? It is pretty flat in a large area to Creek Street, which is plenty area to explore. Skagway, is a LONG stoll to town if you happen to have the last RR dock.

But, with time, both cities are very walkable and mostly WC friendly.

Hills in Ketchkan?? It is pretty flat in a large area to Creek Street, which is plenty area to explore. Skagway, is a LONG stoll to town if you happen to have the last RR dock.

Obviously you have never gone up to Cape Fox Lodge/Eagle Sanctuary/hatchery or walked the Married Man's Trail, or up above Front Street.....:D Lots of hills in Ketchikan, and things to see up there, too, should you be so inclined.

What I meant was it is not big hills but if you are pushing a wheelchair some of the streets can be a little hilly.

Marilyn

Obviously you have never gone up to Cape Fox Lodge/Eagle Sanctuary/hatchery or walked the Married Man's Trail, or up above Front Street.....:D Lots of hills in Ketchikan, and things to see up there, too, should you be so inclined.

Sorry, I most certainly have. :) My point is there is plenty of level areas for a w/c dependent person to enjoy.

Another on the same cruise and have been counting the days!!! Can hardly wait. My DH is on oxygen and will also have some problems getting around, but not much problem on other cruises. He just tires out easy.

DW has MS and I would suggest that the downtown area of Ketchikan is pretty wheelchair friendly. Downtown Skagway is a little less so but manageable with a little more effort. As OPs have indicated, if you are out on the far dock in Skagway you will need to shuttle into town.

Archived