Please help us find out what to do in Jamaica.

bulldogmom1

I am interested in zip line, parasailing, and relaxing on the beach. Perhaps I may even want to venture in to town for lunch and shopping. I've never been there before and just want to see what it's like, and I really want to try authentic jerk chicken.

Thanks.

I am interested in zip line, parasailing, and relaxing on the beach. Perhaps I may even want to venture in to town for lunch and shopping. I've never been there before and just want to see what it's like, and I really want to try authentic jerk chicken.

Thanks.

Which port in Jamaica are you visiting?

There's a place called the Pork Pit that is out of this world, and quite reasonable.

I'd advise hiring a reputable guide. That's what we did and had a blast. We went thru Marva Shaw, but our guide was Richard Robinson (I believe) who also has his own service. You can't go wrong either way, they charge like $40 per head for the whole day! We went to a small farm in the mountains, and estate/resort that cost like $1.00 to get in that has a beautiful view of MoBay, and Rockdale Bird Sanctuary. We had a great time, all the locals we met were friendly and gave us none of the hassles you hear so much about in Jamaica. Just riding around is an adventure, not for the faint of heart!

Have a great cruise!

JHC

We visit jamaica frequently (time for a change for us though!). After spending time in ochi, montego bay, and negril... I highly recommend if there is a tour going to Negril for the day, go to Negril!!! It hardly ever rains there... bonus! Seven mile beach is absolutely amazing! White powder beach. Margaritaville is there (I would get dropped off there if not going on a tour). Lots of souvinir stands... restaurants, bars, glass bottom boat rides, parasailing, snorkelling, jet ski's... you could go an entire day there... and not get bored, or spend a day relaxing... You don't get bothered like u would on other parts of the island. by cab from montego bay, it would be around 30- 40 dollars cab ride. about an hour drive. Amazing drive there too. To get a cab back... margaritaville could get one for u no problem!! That's just my 2 bits... but its well worth the time!!!

We read a lot of scary things about Montego Bay and experienced none of them. You do have to remember that you are in a 3rd world country and as long as you don't expect the USA or Grand Cayman you will enjoy it! We went to the Rockland Bird Sanctuary with Clive from A to Z tours and it was incredible! The hummingbirds land on your finger and drink the sugar water. If you like birds this is an incredible experience! They also give you a little tour to explain local plants and their uses - smell the leaves of fresh allspice - you will not believe that the jar variey is the same thing! Clive took us around and even drove us to an overlook where we could see all of Montego Bay and our ship. He then took us to a beach where we enjoyed the clear waters. It cost $40 per person but was worth it because he customized the tour to our interests. I hope you have a good experience - my 10 year old daughter loved it so much it was her favorite port and she wants to move to Jamaica some day!!!!

Very good information here. I have pretty much the same questions and it is making it hard for me to book an excursion through the ship (Conquest May 18th) as we are first time cruisers. We want to do the zip-line but really want to take advantage of the rest of our time there.

Thanks for the info!

Archived