Thinking about cruising

babynurse13

Hi. We have never taken a cruise before. My husband, myself, our 2 yo son, and grandmother are thinking about going on a cruise. I have heard carnival is a party boat, but it also has a toddler program. Disney seems expensive. We are flexible for times and travel dates. Would love advice on pricing, adjoining rooms/2 bedroom suites (we want some privacy), kids programs, etc. I would to hear from people who have gone on these cruises and their experiences.

Thanks;)

Carnival has really changed and they're not the party-hearty cruise line anymore. They have the best kid's program and they will change diapers. The only time you'll find the hard partiers is on those really short cruises that sometimes can turn into a party till you barf cruise. Carnival has really upgraded their food, so it's really a nice cruise line for a family with a toddler.

Hi! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As I mentioned on another thread recently - we choose Carnival for our first cruise simply because they alone accepted 2 year olds in the Camp program and they changed diapers (DD was 25 months on our first cruise). We had such a great time, and continue to have such a great time, we keeping booking with them for the next one!:D

It is not the "party" boat it has the reputation as being - it is a lot of fun, though. We've brought our two children with us on each cruise (2 and 6 on the first one, 5 and 9 on the next one), and I've never had an issue with a "party" boat atmosphere or unacceptable behavior.

We've been on trips when there were less than 40 kids (Eastern Med. last April) and trips when there have been 700-800 kids (cruises out of NYC in August), and my two have had an absolute blast each and every time. Freddy is a big hit in our house - I think they'd rather go on a cruise to see him than go to Disney to see Mickey and company! (OK, maybe they'd have to flip a coin!:p)

I hope you decide to give Carnival a chance, and if you do, I hope you all really enjoy it!

i would wait till your child is around 4 or 5 to do disney.. that way you can do the land and sea package or save enough do do their southern carribbean. carnival is great for the kids, they even go all out at dinner and will have food ready for your child when you walk in

We sailed on the NCL Spirit on the day our youngest daughter turned 2. She loved it! They don't change diapers, but rather give the parents a pager to let you know if you need to go take care of one while your toddler is in the program.

I enjoy Carnival as well, but the freedom of Freestyle cruising has worked great for us with children and would highly recommend it.

Go, and enjoy!

In regards to babysitting the only ones that I know of who would do in-romm sitting for under 1 are Celebrity (6+ months) and Cunard (6+ months). RCI - babies have to be a year old. The others do not have in-room sitting but only group sitting for kids over 2 or 3 (depending on the line).

We just came back from a Caribbean Princess cruise with our one year old and I highly recommend them in reagrds to their attitute to my son, very nice and helpful. Also, Princess has a sort of a walk-in closet with no door (separated from the room) where we put my son's crib and he was able to sleep there without being disturbed by someone reading or watching TV in the room. Of course, if you can invest in a balcony, that would be even better. Or adjoining rooms because the baby can sleep in one room while the adult(s) are in the other. But when we booked about 6 months in advance there were no adjoining rooms left on the ship. I guess if you book early that will not be a problem.

I sailed on the RCCL's Explorer to Canada/New England with my wife, son (3) and grandmother (85) and had a great time. It truly is a great multigenerational experience! There were plenty of things to keep us all entertained separately but there were still many things to do that we could all do together. Have fun!!!!

What about 9 month olds? Do they do child care in the room? We are looking at May 09. Checked out Disney, but just not sure. From my understanding RCCL does not do care if under a year.

Exactly, on RCCL they must be one for in cabin sitting. BUT on Carnival, the infant can go to group babysitting after 10pm. Don't know if you want a 9 month old out that late, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Archived