Roatan Zip Line Death (MERGED THREADS)

BrainChemicals

I would like to tell you that Gumbalimba is not the only one with 2 cables for safety on the Island. My family did South Shore and they too have 2 cables. I would think that after this accident all of them have stepped up to the plate on safety measures. One incident like this hurts all of them.

That's great to know. When did you zipline there? Was it since the accident occurred at Gumbalimba? I could swear that I saw postings here on these boards that only Gumbalimba had the safety cable, so I'm wondering if South Shore has added it?

Regardless, I'm glad to hear they have it as I'd like to try South Shore next time I am in Roatan.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

Please don't forget my friend Barbie Daniels. I grew up with her back in Spring Texas.

She died while zip-lining in Roatan in March 2008.

Please read about in on these boards.

I just went ziplining with my child in Antigua a month before she died. I will never do it again outside of my country.

I'll be visiting Roatan in February. I'm encouraging everyone to please think twice before ziplining or putting your children on ziplines. These countries do not have stringent safety codes like our country does. They do not have nearby hospitals. IF you fall, you are in the bottom of a jungle and it's hard to get you out.

It's not worth the thrill. Please have a safe, fun vacation. There are so many other fun things to do on these islands.

• 3 months later...

We have not zip lined here but we have in Costa Rica where they used two cables;) and then in Mexico where they used ONE :eek:cable. I LIKED the 2 cable idea MUCH better. Our safety D ring was hooked to the 2nd cable at all times soooooo if the main cable snaped you would still be safe....not like the one in Mexico that just had one.

• 6 months later...

That accident happened at Gumbalimba not at Pirates of the caribbean zipline they have never had an accident,they have two cables experienced guides and excellent gear they have harnesses for children and adults and also larger harnesses for bigger people they do their regular mandatory safety checks on their cables,harnesses,pulleys,clips and straps and do not allow no one over 375.lbs which is their weight limit although both cable they use have a tested strenght of 2000.lbs each.

The Gumbalimba zip line cables were smaller,not saying that was the cause of their accident but maybe incompetence the owners of that zipline also had another called mimba zipline and also had a serious accident in which they closed it down shortly after opening and no other zipline on Roatan has had any accident of that kind and i can say this because I am the certified inspector for all ziplines in Honduras approved by the Honduras Tourism Board.

they do their regular mandatory safety checks on their cables,harnesses,pulleys,clips and straps and do not allow no one over 375.lbs .
Who is "they" "are "they" certifeied inspectors? is they are then who are they certified by?

have a tested strenght of 2000.lbs each.

This is curious. You say the cable is tested strenth of 2000 pounds but in the US the MINIMUM rating is 7 tons, seven times as strong as you say yours is.

I am the certified inspector for all ziplines in Honduras approved by the Honduras Tourism Board.

Who are you certified by? Do you work for any of the zip lines or totally independent?

That accident happened at Gumbalimba not at Pirates of the caribbean zipline they have never had an accident,they have two cables experienced guides and excellent gear...
DH did the Pirates of the Caribbean extreme zipline 2 weeks before the tragedy at Gumbalimba. There was only a single cable and their website photos clearly show only one cable.

Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline photos

Gumbalimba, on the other hand, has two cables.

Gumbalimba Park (click on Canopy Tour for photos)

DH did the Pirates of the Caribbean extreme zipline 2 weeks before the tragedy at Gumbalimba. There was only a single cable and their website photos clearly show only one cable.

Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline photos

Gumbalimba, on the other hand, has two cables.

Gumbalimba Park (click on Canopy Tour for photos)

They have two cables but the accident did happen at Gumbalimba Zip-line and not The Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy.

I must say that since the accident occured 2 years ago every zip-line on Roatan has been modified or remodeled for safety reasons. Pirates, South Shore and Gumbalimba have done remodeling to their operations.

I must say that since the accident occured 2 years ago every zip-line on Roatan has been modified or remodeled for safety reasons. Pirates, South Shore and Gumbalimba have done remodeling to their operations.

March. 2008, while older news isn't two years FWIW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23730206/

Still I'm bet things have been secured and double checked....

They have two cables but the accident did happen at Gumbalimba Zip-line and not The Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy.

So PoC now has double cables? They should probably update their website photos since that's a pretty good selling point.

And it was established fairly early on in this thread where the accident happened. This thread hadn't been posted to in 6 months before the "inspector" popped in.

At the time of the accident, PoC had a single cable and Gumbalimba had double cables. Tragic accidents can happen even with double cables.

That accident happened at Gumbalimba not at Pirates of the caribbean zipline they have never had an accident,they have two cables experienced guides and excellent gear they have harnesses for children and adults and also larger harnesses for bigger people they do their regular mandatory safety checks on their cables,harnesses,pulleys,clips and straps and do not allow no one over 375.lbs which is their weight limit although both cable they use have a tested strenght of 2000.lbs each.

The Gumbalimba zip line cables were smaller,not saying that was the cause of their accident but maybe incompetence the owners of that zipline also had another called mimba zipline and also had a serious accident in which they closed it down shortly after opening and no other zipline on Roatan has had any accident of that kind and i can say this because I am the certified inspector for all ziplines in Honduras approved by the Honduras Tourism Board.

Who is "they" "are "they" certifeied inspectors? is they are then who are they certified by?

This is curious. You say the cable is tested strenth of 2000 pounds but in the US the MINIMUM rating is 7 tons, seven times as strong as you say yours is.

Who are you certified by? Do you work for any of the zip lines or totally independent?

What happened to Adrenalinejunky?

Archived