Roatan Zip Line Death (MERGED THREADS)

BrainChemicals

It's very sad that 1 person died on a zipline. But then over 700 Americans died on riding lawnmowers last year. Shouldn't you be more worried about safety while mowing the lawn?

It really depends on the odds. . . How many ride the lawnmower vs. how many deaths

I think the point of most of the posts is that when you travel to any country outside of the U.S. you have to realize that there are not the same safety regulations mandated by the government as there are in the United States. I would say that the odds of an accident on a zipline (or, insert any excursion) happening is greater in a non-regulated country than a regulated country.

It's very sad that 1 person died on a zipline. But then over 700 Americans died on riding lawnmowers last year. Shouldn't you be more worried about safety while mowing the lawn?

And I feel bad for the families of those 700 people also, but riding a lawn mower doesn't have much to do with this specific thread.:rolleyes:

I see your point but hate arguments like that. I bet there are a lot more total person hours spent mowing lawns than riding zip lines ;) (thousands and thousands more)

But I just might use that argument in a few weeks when the wife tells me the lawn is looking shaggy!

I understand the link...the poster is just trying to say that while we don't realize it, most likely more deaths occur with lawn mowers than people on these excursions. However, probably most lawn mower deaths probably have to do with user mishaps rather than the break down of the equipment as in the zip line.

I've been exchanging emails with Victor as we are in the planning stages of our upcoming tour. Here is his response to my inquiry (I'm sure he won't mind me posting).

yes it was owful to here about that lady. hey i thik the lady that died she wast on the ship excurtion from the GUMBALIMBA ZIP LINE so we do not know much about it since we dont go to this ziplein because it is for ship excurion only when they are in port. I hav alway felt saft on the ones at Gungle Caonopy and think you will enjoy them,it is my dauthers favorite zipeline and I like it too. We will see you in April and you can see the ziplein and decide if you wan to do it or not.

Yours.

Victor

Well, we don't really have any idea what sort of safety measures they have for this sort of thing in Honduras, do we? Perhaps it's wrong to assume they have no oversight.

I haven't booked my excursion yet, but was probably going to book Diana & Cinthia for a driver and was going to request the South Shore zip line. Is that the Jungle Canopy?

Know what? It doesn't matter. I'm either going to do it or I'm not going to do it. I'm afraid of heights and will probably freak out anyway, but I'm just not going to live my life being afraid that something bad might happen.

If it happens, it happens. If not, I imagine I'll have a wonderful time.

And, yes, this is probably a great time to do this. I'd have to guess that the companies that provide these activities will be very diligent in being sure their equipment is up to standard.

This family was on a land vacation and not on a cruise.

The accident happened at Gumbalina Park.

Victor Bodden is very careful with his tours. He took us to South Shore. He also deals with one other canopy tour, but I can't remember which one right now.

Sorry, I have no sources to cite. I am friends with several people who live in Roatan. I only have their emails to reference but I am pretty sure this is accurate.

I agree....accidents like this happen in the states, too....that's what accidents are...anomalies...things that happen out of the ordinary...the safest equipment will fail given the right circumstances....

Just did this in Feb. We felt very safe. We went to the Jungle Canopy. No one had any problem. Thoughs and prayers go out to the family.

I am sure that all of the companies are checking and double checking everything now after this terrrible accident happening.

I did hear from Victor Bodden last night:

...the woman had the eccedent on the ship excution of GUMBALIMBA PARK ZIP LIKE WE DO NOT KNOW EXACKLIE WAT HAPEN THEY WILL NOT LET YOU KNOW THE THRUT,

THANKS AGAIN HAVE A NICE DAY

YOURS

VICTOR

I trust this information from Victor and since others are now reporting the same course, I guess my question has been answered. Thanks to all who posted the same information.

We continue to keep the family in our prayers.

I cannot add much to this except to say that we did the Gumbalimba Line last week. We had no idea that this accident had taken place as the information came out after our ship had sailed.

Our experience was great and we all felt very safe. Harnesses were checked and the guides were very cautious and careful. One other thought too. I would think that if there had been problems with bad equipment or neglegance, the cruise ships wouldn't be sending their passengers there anymore.

Sure would like more details about this tragic accident though.

It is very important. If this was a cruise line tour, then people want to know to book an independent. If it is an independent tour, people want to know which one to avoid it.

I can fully understand wanting to know WHICH zipline this happened with; it would certainly make me reconsider doing the zip with that company, and if I did I would be checking the gear very closely (truthfully, after hearing of this I'd do that no matter which I did the zip with).

My point is that there are 3 zipline companies on the island. If you do the zip, you'll be doing it with one of those 3. It does not matter if you book through the cruiseline or on your own, or if you're on a landbased vacation & do the zipline. You'll still be using one of those 3 companies, and the gear you use will be the same gear that is being used by someone who booked on their own, is on a land-based vacation, or lives on the island full-time. They don't have "special issue equipment" for the folks that booked through the cruiseline.

The only pertinent question is "which zipline were they on"?

.... was going to request the South Shore zip line. Is that the Jungle Canopy?

And, yes, this is probably a great time to do this. I'd have to guess that the companies that provide these activities will be very diligent in being sure their equipment is up to standard.

South Shore and Jungle Canopy are not the same. Just returned from Jungle Canopy March 12th and loved it! Yes, we were scared at the start. Even the bumpy van ride up the hill scared the begeezes out of me! However, before the zip line was over we were all trying to hang upside down with no hands. It was soooo fun! Our young, zip guide, Calvin, was totally professional, attentive and safety concious. Loved him! Our college kid had previous experience with ropes classes and remarked how good the harnesses were. Jungle Canopy was a great place for us beginners to start. Hope you have a wonderful time no matter what you decide. Roatan & the people there are the best!

I can fully understand wanting to know WHICH zipline this happened with; it would certainly make me reconsider doing the zip with that company, and if I did I would be checking the gear very closely (truthfully, after hearing of this I'd do that no matter which I did the zip with).

My point is that there are 3 zipline companies on the island. If you do the zip, you'll be doing it with one of those 3. It does not matter if you book through the cruiseline or on your own, or if you're on a landbased vacation & do the zipline. You'll still be using one of those 3 companies, and the gear you use will be the same gear that is being used by someone who booked on their own, is on a land-based vacation, or lives on the island full-time. They don't have "special issue equipment" for the folks that booked through the cruiseline.

The only pertinent question is "which zipline were they on"?

Yes I want to know which one...but it is also VERY important for me to know IF it was through the Ship Tour or an independent. We cruise many times a year and it is very important to me to know if this happened ON a ship excursion. Because to me it would reflect negatively on Carnival. Cruisers pay more to go through the cruiselines because safety issues like this are suppose to be paramount. If they are not, then we (the cruisers) need to know it.

I was on the same cruise this family was on. It was the Norwegian Spirit. The cruise ended today. Just flew in from New Orleans. My understanding is that it was a ship board excursion. Don't really know anything else. They tried to keep it quiet on board. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I was on the ship, too, and we did the South Shore Canopy Tour, independently (it wasn't one of the official NCL shore excursions). South Shore was definitely not involved.

I believe the person was on the shore excursion at Gumbalimba. I just went to the NCL website to look up the name of the canopy tour and interestingly, there seem to be no canopy tours available at Roatan any longer...

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorex.html?destinationCode=CARIBBEAN&previousValue=RTB&portCode=RTB&startingRowNumber=0&selectedDateRange=&priceProgramCode=BESTFARE&packageId=&shipCode=&dispatch=shorexSearch&dispatch=nonItinerarySearch

It is very important. If this was a cruise line tour, then people want to know to book an independent. If it is an independent tour, people want to know which one to avoid it.

Are you under the impression that cruise line tours have exclusive rights over the tour operators or locations? Maybe in some cases, but certainly not all. Some are booked through both sources.

So whether it was a cruise excursion or an independent tour does not matter. It doesn't necessarily matter which tour or locatlon either. Negligence hasn't been proven and the circumstances (still not known) could make any of the tours susceptible.

Are you under the impression that cruise line tours have exclusive rights over the tour operators or locations? Maybe in some cases, but certainly not all. Some are booked through both sources.

So whether it was a cruise excursion or an independent tour does not matter. It doesn't necessarily matter which tour or locatlon either. Negligence hasn't been proven and the circumstances (still not known) could make any of the tours susceptible.

It does not matter if the ship tour has "exclusive rights". AGAIN, the issue is that cruisers pay more to go through the ship because the cruise line is SUPPOSE to check out these tours (especially for safety). That is why people book through the ship and pay more. And if a cruise line is not doing this, then it reflects on the cruise line as well. That is why it is VERY important to know if this was a ship excursion. It a cruise line is not doing their job to protect their cruisers....I want to know it!

I was on the same cruise this family was on. It was the Norwegian Spirit. The cruise ended today. Just flew in from New Orleans. My understanding is that it was a ship board excursion. Don't really know anything else. They tried to keep it quiet on board. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Thank you for this updated information.

I was on the ship, too, and we did the South Shore Canopy Tour, independently (it wasn't one of the official NCL shore excursions). South Shore was definitely not involved.

I believe the person was on the shore excursion at Gumbalimba. I just went to the NCL website to look up the name of the canopy tour and interestingly, there seem to be no canopy tours available at Roatan any longer...

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorex.html?destinationCode=CARIBBEAN&previousValue=RTB&portCode=RTB&startingRowNumber=0&selectedDateRange=&priceProgramCode=BESTFARE&packageId=&shipCode=&dispatch=shorexSearch&dispatch=nonItinerarySearch

Gumbalimba is the same company that Victor referenced. Thanks for the information. I will check and see if Carnival uses the same company.

FYI, this is the same company that Carnival uses. As I understand it, Victor Bodden (the most independent most named on these boards) does not.

Canopy & Gumbalimba Park

Feel the rush as you defy the laws of gravity by sliding down cable to cable from a mountain ridge into a beautiful tropical park.

4.50 hours

$101.00*

Canopy Tour & Tabyana Beach

Defy the laws of gravity by "flying" down from the ridge of the mountain into beautiful Gumbalimba Park.

1.00 hours

$91.00*

I guess a lot of conflicting reports will come out until someone makes an official statement, but I was out to dinner with my 8 year old Godchild on Friday night and she told me that her aunt had been injured and was in a coma on a Zipline accident while on her cruise. (She was on the NCL Spirit out of New Orleans) Turns out her Aunt Barbie is the woman who died. It was her dad's sister and he hadn't told her of her aunt's death yet. Very tragic and sad...she was very upset that her cousin's had lost their mother at such a young age. They had just had dinner with them when they were on their way from Houston to New Orleans to board the ship.

My Godchild's mom sent me this info today:

Don't know if you remember xxxxx, her mom works for Barbie's other brother. She was in Houston last week on spring break when all this happened. She said that the brother flew to Honduras and is still not back.

She said that Barbie was with her son and friend when accident occured. Her friend had just gone on the zip line and her son was behind her. It was not the harness as it has said in articles, it was the cable that broke.

Prayers for the family would be greatly appreciated!

Laura

Just another confirmation that this was a ship booked excursion from the Norwegian Spirit. My husband and two older children were about twenty people behind her in line - my husband said he already had the harness on and was checking it out when the accident happened. I was at Coral Cay with our younger kids. Back on the ship, I heard she'd gone to the hospital and thought that she was OK. It's very sad and sobering to hear of her death - my heart goes out to her family.

Archived