VERY quick Golden walkie talkie question

benchmarklearning

Ooops...forgot the walkie talkies and boarding in 4 hours or so. Can you rent them on the ship? Or...a quick trip to Radio Shack this morning?

Thanks![/quote

Radio Shack LOL! We had walki talkies once, but never used them, but i really doubt that the ship rents them. Have fun!

Jan

I want to offer this information so you can balance how much time/effort you want to expand trying to buy a set of hand held radio vs the actual use you will get from them.

All hand held radios work line of sight. You can forget the advertisement on the package that states 5-10-20 miles. That only works on a flat freeway with nothing between the transmitter and the receiver.

On a ship the walls, ceilings, ect block the transmissions. So, if you are on deck 5 and want to locate someone on deck 15, it is not going to work.

Off ship, they can help you locate some one in you party if you get seperated, keeping line of sight in mind again.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I want to offer this information so you can balance how much time/effort you want to expand trying to buy a set of hand held radio vs the actual use you will get from them.

All hand held radios work line of sight. You can forget the advertisement on the package that states 5-10-20 miles. That only works on a flat freeway with nothing between the transmitter and the receiver.

On a ship the walls, ceilings, ect block the transmissions. So, if you are on deck 5 and want to locate someone on deck 15, it is not going to work.

Off ship, they can help you locate some one in you party if you get seperated, keeping line of sight in mind again.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I've never heard this. We have used walkie talkies on a couple of our cruises and we had no problems communicating except for picking up others onboard who were using the same frequency. My son would check in with us from the pool or buffet on upper decks while we were in our cabin on lower decks and we never had a problem.

While I've never done it myself, I also have been near people who were communicating between decks with no problem. While line-of-site is an issue when you are great distances, it doesn't present the same issues when the distance is shorter.

Beware when using them off ship in a foreign country. Those frequencies may not be legal for public use in foreign ports; and the penalties might be very severe.

Pete

Be sure to check using your Walkie Talkies in other countries. What is Family Radio Service in one country could be regulated frequency in other countries. Notable is that in Europe US FRS isn't FRS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

Archived