The perfect excursion bag?

Nora4sure

Hi all,

I just finished watching Samantha Brown's First Cruise to the Mediteranean on the Brilliance. First let me say that I read an article that she doesnt wear the nice shoes/sandals you always see her wearing and that she has others that she sightees in. Which was a good thing to know. Im going to wear the most comfortable shoes I can despite the lack of fashion statement they may make. I feel less pressue knowing that so i thought id pass it on. Here's my question.

She had a bag that she took with her each day. It was a neon colored, nylon type over the shoulder, lay flat in front of you type of bag. I really didnt like the bag to be honest(too clunky), but i want to take something with me "sort of like that" that acts as a satchel, tote bag for my purchases, sunglasses, camera etc...that has some color and some style and is light weight to begin with. I have some canvas bags but they are heavy first off.

Any ideas?

If you'll have family (kids) with you, don't bring too big of a bag, or you will end up being the "pack mule" for the whole family! (Did that once at Disney--never again!) Now, the rule is, if you can't carry it all day, then don't bring it! Mom's not carrying anything except HER stuff!!!!!!

That's a messenger bag.

Here's a link to an inexpensive one at Overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing/Slim-Cross-Body-Messenger-Bag/2107926/product.html

If you want something more sporty, Title Nine has a few:

http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2270&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=697&iSubCat=700&iProductID=2270

There are also beautiful high end ones out there.

Good luck in your search!

carrier..the older/softer, the better..since my "shore gear" went up in flambs..I've searched for one even at a thirft store. it was a simple, canvas tote, long enuff straps to go comfy over shoulder..I kept my $5 rubber Target watch on the strap, 3 separate little zipper bags, with the essentials for shore, and a few small purchased must haves. A well worn ,(verrrry old) schooling bag from a class, but any old "convention-give a way canvas tote will work..it weighed practically zilch.,.I'll try the craft stores(the ones u decorate) also and wash a bunch. Now there's an idea for the kids!..to have them each carry their own, that they decorated with fabric paints..just for the cruise. Have a contes at home!

I carry the same type of bag as Miami. It holds alot of stuff, including two bottles of water. You wear it like a back pack so your hands are free. These bags are very light weight. Mine does not have a pocket for a water bottle but I throw them in with every thing else.

The most popular excursion bag we sell (I work part time in a luggage store) is the Kipling Lancelot:

http://www.kipling-usa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2993407&cp=2999461.2999759&clickid=topnav_handbags_1&parentPage=family&cid=1056263

p4413374v380.jpg

It weighs nothing, you can find it in many colors and patterns. I'ts large enough to hold a water bottle, travel guide, glasses plus a few other things. The strap lengthens to wear across the body and the strap is thick enough that it would be difficult to slash without effort.

I'm sure you can find it in many places, I've seen them at Macy's, luggage stores, Ebags, etc...

I like the Kipling too but I love my Tilley bag. My husband likes taking a backpack on excursions so he lugs most of our things including my purchases.:eek: I knew there was a reason I bring him! The Tilley is made of polyester micrifibre so it is light as a feather and holds everything I need close to my body. Half the time I forget I'm carrying it!

289x4y1.jpg

The Tilley bag looks great, something a husband or boyfriend wouldn't mind carrying. I know our beach bag is one that DH is willing to haul. I made him a promise years ago that I'd never make him carry my purse for me :)

I just ordered my first Sherpani bag, they have great reviews and I couldn't decide which one to get at first. I ended up choosing the Sherpani Vida from REIoutlet and it was half price to boot, but only navy available for that price.

I bring a lightweight, drawstring backpack like these

lgba2392680.jpg3040444_l.jpg

They run from about $4 - $15. I have seen some at Kohl's that have a pocket for a water bottle.

My DD uses one of these and they are perfect. The price is right too. :D

I was just looking for a bag today

and now am confused.

In 2000 when we did a Med cruise

I carried a small black leather backpack with camera,

umbrella, water bottle, guidebook, MONEY, etc

Now, with so much concern about

pickpocketing, it sounds like backpack

is horrible idea for a place to stash money and a credit card-

should I carry two types of purses?

or do I need to go with the dreaded money

belt? and then backpack?

Thanks!

I was just looking for a bag today

and now am confused.

In 2000 when we did a Med cruise

I carried a small black leather backpack with camera,

umbrella, water bottle, guidebook, MONEY, etc

Now, with so much concern about

pickpocketing, it sounds like backpack

is horrible idea for a place to stash money and a credit card-

should I carry two types of purses?

or do I need to go with the dreaded money

belt? and then backpack?

Thanks!

Why don't you just get a bag that you can put across your body? There have been some good suggesstions earlier.

Some of the examples are rather pricey. I always see vacation tote bags at Walmart and K-mart for $10.00 or so.

Everyone does have a price point and a person needs to do what is right for themselves. I prefer to buy things that will last and not gimmicky, cutesy or trendy, if you want a bag for one time use, the cheap ones will work fine, if they don't break or rip on you. If you want something to last, quality always is a wise investment, otherwise you end up paying more in the end for numerous purchases.

The Kipling bag I pictured is moderately priced, 62.00, we have people come and replace them who have used them for several years. They nylon is strong, the stitching is well done and very high quality for the price. It's not a beach bag, it's a travel bag or even an every day purse that is sold and recognized internationally, different from an inexpensive travel tote sold in a discount store.

The Tilley bag would work because you don't have to carry it on your back, you can also turn it around. I have one similar, don't use it quite as much because I like to have my hands free and I feel like I have to hold onto this bag.

The Kohls bag would be fine for beach use, but for touring it could be easily slashed and the contents, or the whole bag taken. A backpack would work fine, but it's on your back, not necessarily a safe place to put your things unless you have all the zippers locked. The safest type of bag to carry touring in Europe or anywhere is one with an across the body strap, small enough to be held close and with zippers and flaps, no open compartments. Even then I would use caution and keep cash and credit cards in a deep front pocket or money belt, plus be careful and watchful when bumped in a crowd or public transport.

I ordered one of these to carry on my shore excursions: http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Classic-Messenger-Pre-washed-Woodland/dp/B0012M1162/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1207496890&sr=1-1

I wanted something cute and roomy enough to carry my 'stuff' (camera, water bottle, etc) and various souvenirs that I pick up througout the day.

You can google 'messenger bag' and find all kinds of styles.

I have used a small backpack thing like janetz does. I love them! Mine had a zipper place on the outside for sunglasses and whatever and then i keep my wallet in the inside as it is a bit harder to get to and i think any pickpocket would have a hard time getting to it... They have worked well at disney and on my cruises. I believe mine was purchased at lady footlocker. It is small but i can put a water bottle, my wallet, camera, lipstick, sunglases and things in and it isnt super heavy.

I bought a Lewis and Clark excursion bag for my first cruise, and I just

love it. It is practically weightless, and holds my camera, papers, glasses, sunscreen, snackbars, whatever. If the excursion is a water-based one (and most of ours are) then I also carry a larger beach-type tote bag - and this little gem just gets tossed in. I have no problems finding things when I need them. I am one of those people that just HAS to have a place for everything, and this bag made that easy for me. This is not the exact bag as mine - it's been redesigned since then, but it is very similar.

48826_1_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

• 3 months later...

I love both the Bagallini and Ameribags. I just found some others that I think will work on our upcoming cruise. I was at Marshalls the other day and found two Travelon bags - both leather - one in a great green and another in a bright blue. One was reduced to $8. and the other was $14.00. Both are messenger bag style and can be worn two ways - one of which is other the belly which I prefer.

I bought this fossil bag from Belks this past weekend. The back has a part for you to put credit cards, money, etc. It's perfect for my glasses, contact case/solution. In addition, I'll have my beach bag but i wanted something like this to carry for my very personal items that I didn't want to include in my beach bag. The strap is long and goes across my body.

ZB2688186_main?$fossil_thumb$

Archived