Help. Can you cruise for under $3K family of FIVE?

TnTWalter

I tried searching but wouldn't give me results for family of 5....

I know there are some cruises that have family cabins [carnival, disney].

we'd like a balcony and space for our family of 5 without breaking the bank or being squished. my parents travel with us but we want our 5 together. is there a way to do this without air for under $3k. I'd love to do eastern caribbean 7 day. what do you think?

kids are 9,7,5 right now thinking next year probably unless a great deal comes our way.

thanks.

trish

I know you wouldn't be able to do Disney for this price but have you tried booking 2 cheaper cabins with ajoining doors. You would have to state an adult in each room and then 1 extra person in one room and 2 in the other. I know NCL has a lot of rooms with ajoing doors on the gem.

Perhaps two inside adjoining cabins? Most cruise websites won't allow you to book online for 5---you have to call either a TA or the cruise line directly. I would strongly suggest doing that. I would guess if you could find two inside adjoining cabins, those with interior doors connecting the cabins, you could do that for your price. But a balcony for 7 days, that would really put a strain on your budget, and on many ships, five in any cabin, unless it's one of those huge family cabins (which are expensive) would be too tight.

YOu always read how affordable cruises are and I've read posts from people who spent about $2200 --- $2900 on their cruises....

I know Disney is out of budget I just know they have nice family cabins....I've read that carnival have family cabins that aren't more expensive....

Surely there's someone that's done it...

You could do it on Carnival I bet. No way could you do it on Disney. Our Disney cruise was $5,800 for 4.

I've done a fam of 4 for 4 days on Carnival for $799. And a fam of 4 for 4 days on RCCL for $799.

Let's see what I can get for 7 days...be right back.

There are a few good weeks to look for, the week AFTER Thanksgiving. The LAST week of August. And May always has hot deals.

It all depends on how far out you plan in advance and how particular you are. Previous posters are absolutely correct about Disney...my experience for Disney 4-day for four has been between $3,200 and $3,600 (Oceanview). However, we are booked on the Mariner / Oct08 (7 day) for four people at $2,572.00 (including insurance/taxes - not excursions), Oceanview. I know that this doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but it should give you another example to consider and the fact that it certainly is a possibility.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have an absolutely fantastic trip!;)

Sack:D

Disney's 4 day is as expensive as another's 7 day. It's not worth it.

Ok, so I checked Carnival and they have high prices right now for the 3,4,5 person in the cabin. :rolleyes: Get on the Carnival mailing list and wait for a deal to come out. Glory, 7 day would be your best bet. So you might want to try to have a TA run prices for that.

Get a travel agent to run prices for you on RCCL Enchantment, it's a 5 day but you can get TWO cabins, the 3, 4, 5 is $249 pp in the cabin. So if you did one balcony and one superior ocean view it would be $2765 total, 5 days, Western though. The dates for that is September 15th - 20th, 2008. Leaves Fort Lauderdale, goes to Key West, Cozumel and Belize.

On RCCL Freedom of the Seas, for 3 of you in a Balcony is $2,839.00 USD and an Interior for 2 - $1,378 USD. I know it's $4217 total but it's Freedom of the Seas 7 Days Eastern. The date is Sept 7th - Sept 14th. Goes to Miami, San Juan, St.Thomas, St. Martin. Brand new ship.

You do need a good travel agent. Tell them your stipulations. You may need to settle for 5 days if you want to stay UNDER $3,000.

I agree with the above posters. I would definately go with two rooms. I have the same situation with 5 people in my family. I have found that two rooms work better. If you really, really want a balcony room, get an inside room across the hall. Go in the off season, mid to late Feb and early to late March are great (avoid Easter week). If a balcony room isn't a priority, reserve early and get the best inside cabins with a connecting door. Carnival will probably be your best bet, check out different cruise lengths as well. Maybe go for a shorter time, 4 or 5 day and then do a 7 day when you have longer to pay for it. It's like a vacation layway of sorts.

We are a family of 5 and sailed on The Mariner of The Seas last Sept for $2700. We got 2 inside cabins(cheapest). I went through a site that competes for your business and were given many quotes. The travel agent I went with had booked a group and had group rates for this cruise. That is why it was a good deal. It is also a low season pricewise. I live only a 7 hour drive and did not have to spend money for travel. Since we stopped at Coco Cay we did not have to spend money there and the other 2 stops we went to, we went to the beach and relaxed. We were fortunate to have the BEST weather that week . This year we are doing a 5 day to the Western Caribbean in Sept. We got 2 oceanview rooms on The Inspiration for the 5 of us for $1800. I am spending big $ on swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel. Anyway, it can be done. It takes research.

Good Luck.:)

We are a family of 4, we booked a 7day on Carnival, 2 oceanview cabins for under $2500. Perhaps if you want a balcony, you could book a balcony with an inside across the hall.

In 2005 we did a 7day on RCCL with a balcony cabin and it was $3800 for the 4 of us. It was OK having 4 in a cabin but I think I will prefer having 2 cabins and 2 bathrooms on our upcoming cruise.

Trish,

Definately look at the MSC line. I just booked a Christmas cruise for me and my three girls for $1600. It's a seven night cruise during Christmas. All kids are free except for paying government taxes (for me were $47 for the two youngest). You can't beat that!!

I think that you certainly can. You may not get the best cabin on the ship but you can if you're willing to sail at an off time. CruisinMama had some good suggestions and while having two cabins is a great convenience, RCCL also has Family rooms that accommodate 5-6. The 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th passengers in these rooms (well, all rooms if they accommodate that many) are typically significantly cheaper than the first two passengers. We loved the Family Oceanview (FO) that we had on the Explorer! The great thing about cruising is there is something for everyone and there are price ranges for just about everyone too. Enjoy!!!

Well I've priced out Carnival Destinay Balcony for 5 for our spring break next year for $3193 after tax. 5 nights...only stops in bahamas and grand turk though.

Looks like I have to call Royal Caribbean for family of 5 and MSC just because....but if kids are free...we could do a 7 night for $800 each adult so that would be cheap...

Thanks...I'll keep looking.

I'd like to include my folks. Their only experience is the Celebrity cruise we booked for them. They LOVED it.

Yes, do check out MSC. I priced a family suite with them today for my family of 5 for 7 days in December at Christmas and the price was a little less than $2000!! I have already priced a cruise for me and my girls for their spring break next April and it is right around $1350 for the four of us. I am anxious to see their new ships that are coming out. Have fun during your planning stages, it's the best part.

the reviews are pretty mixed about MSC...and it's really cheap which makes me nervous [you know 'you get what you pay for....']....who's been and what can you tell me?

Also what's the Royal Caribbean 3rd and 4th person deal where you book mom and dad and basically the kids are a lot cheaper. i've read of people booking this..they booked for like $599 each and the 3rd and 4th were $200-300 each during their spring break.

When do they offer these?

THANKS!

Any cruise deal website like vacationtogo or something else that you've had luck with??? Thanks.

TRISH

If any in your family can get a military rate with carnival that works out awesome....I can get it, so I booked hubby, me and the 2 girls for 1600 for us, ocean view, all fees, gratuities included...I could have done better if I had booked a few weeks earlier...would have saved about 400 bucks. :(

Hey I thought of you today when I got an email from a online site that "competes for your cruise" ;) (sorry I can't give you the name, but maybe you can figure it out...lol)

Anyway, they were listing all of the kid friendly lines and talking about the deals for each one. They had special low priced dates for each cruiseline. You might want to try to get them to submit a bid.

I've never booked a cruise with them, but when I was looking for a specific category on one cruise, I put out a request with the site to see if anyone had the cabin on hold.

My advice is to call a travel agent that specializes in cruises - usually prices for cruises don't vary that much between the different agencies and the online retailers but large travel agencies in many cases can get you special bonuses like shipboard credit, wine in the room, etc because they sell millions of dollars of cruises on certain cruise lines.

Other than that, I have to agree with everyone suggesting two different adjoining or accross the hall cabins. We traveled with my in-laws and my one year old son a couple of weeks ago and our initial thought was to get everyone in one cabin to save $ (baby can sleep in our bed). Most cruise lines that I checked would not allow 5 in a room, regardless of the fact one was a baby. The only exceptions were RCI if you book family room (none available ont the sailing we wanted) or booking one of the suites on some lines (too expensive). In the end we went with one oceanview and one inside cabin (for my in-laws) and I am so glad we did. There was no way four adults and a baby (or two adults and three kids) can spend more than 5 min in a regular cabin, there is just no space to make it physically possible, let alone considering bathroom and closet needs for everyone.

On another note, I've gotten emails in the past from NCL and RCI offering 3rd and 4th person at very low rates for certain sailings (sometimes as low as $99-$199) so get on all the lines' mailing lists and wait for a deal. It may not be the exact timing you are looking for but you have to be flexible.

Regarding MSC - I have never been but my sister-in-law went with her fiance in January (she has been on HAL and Princess before) and while she thought it was OK from what she mentioned it may not be the perfect line for kids. She said 90% of the other passengers were in their 60s, 70s and 80s (she's in her mid 20s and there was only one other couple on the whole cruise that was their age). She also said dinners were pretty formal, entertainment was geared mostly to Europenas and older people (piano players, violins, harps and some ballet type shows) and there was A LOT of smoking around the ship because there was a large population of Europeans. I would imagine that would be a problem for kids.

Good luck!

Also...sign up for travelzoo's weekly newsletter. They will email you the top 20 travel deals on the internet each Tuesday. And it has a section for cruises.

I also use cheapertravel to compare prices.

I personally would suggest a Carnival Conquest ship.

Good luck to you!

I tried searching but wouldn't give me results for family of 5....

I know there are some cruises that have family cabins [carnival, disney].

we'd like a balcony and space for our family of 5 without breaking the bank or being squished. my parents travel with us but we want our 5 together. is there a way to do this without air for under $3k. I'd love to do eastern caribbean 7 day. what do you think?

kids are 9,7,5 right now thinking next year probably unless a great deal comes our way.

thanks.

trish

Kids ages 9, 5 and 2 going on this trip and we are going for less than 3k. The thing is, one of our kids is booked in a room with some friends. Whether he sleeps there or not, we don't really care. We'll have the sofa, murphy type bed and then put the two beds on the floor together. Our 5 yr old or 2yr old would climb in our bed anyhow. Yeah, it's probably gonna be close (if they all DO stay in the room, which I highly doubt)...but how much time will we be in there anyhow? :D

Archived