Expected costs pp - EWR to Manhattan??

stlrboo

Have booked the Newark Airport Sheraton which has a FREE airport shuttle! We plan on traveling into NYC (Times Square area) two days in a row..:p What are the costs for public transportation either from the hotel in Newark or the airport, into NYC, as we can take the FREE shuttle to EWR..??

Wondered if it would be 'cost effective' to hire a van/car service to take the 6 of us to 50th St & 7th Ave??!:confused:

Looking at around $100. one way for six, 'point to point', including tolls and tips, each day! :o

One way fares on Metro North railroad from Newark airport to NYC is $15. r/t is $30. So the cost of the van is probably the same as the train so i would take the van as it is direct to times square. Had you considered renting a mini van for a couple of days?

AirTrain/NJ transit to Newark Penn Station-$7.75 one way or $6.50 if you are a senior.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

Then PATH to Journal Square and transfer to the midtown PATH or stay on the same train and end up at the World Trade Center. $1.75 each way

http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

Renting a car/van and driving into NYC would be pretty darn expensive. Parking in NYC is VERY easily $40-50 for 8 hours and that's IF you could find a place to park.

Take the PATH, take subways or taxis once you get into the City. You will be FAR happier than trying to drive.

AirTrain/NJ transit to Newark Penn Station-$7.75 one way or $6.50 if you are a senior.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

Then PATH to Journal Square and transfer to the midtown PATH or stay on the same train and end up at the World Trade Center. $1.75 each way

http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

Renting a car/van and driving into NYC would be pretty darn expensive. Parking in NYC is VERY easily $40-50 for 8 hours and that's IF you could find a place to park.

Take the PATH, take subways or taxis once you get into the City. You will be FAR happier than trying to drive.

Path is an alternative and a little cheaper than NY Transit to the Penn Station area but I think it is a longer trip. Either way you will walk 8 blocks north from 34th street to the Times Square area (no big deal). All in all since you are on vacation and time is probably important I would probably just take split the cost of a van from the hotel to Times Square and not deal with the Rube Goldberg trip to Newark Airport, the monorail at Newark and then the train ride.

The Sheraton you will be staying at is quite accustomed to dealing with business travelers from all over the world and its guest relations dept. would be able to assist in providing the best recommendation for your preference. The prior posters' advice is accurate. Parking in NYC is VERY expensive and on-street parking almost non-existent. The city has an excellent subway system which we have used numerous times (we live only a 15-min. drive into the city and never take our car in). We take a NJ Transit bus into the Port Authority Terminal and, from there, it's an easy walk to Rock. Center, Radio City, theater district, Times Square, St. Patrick's and other midtown attractions; or we'll take the subway from the Port Authority area down to South Street Seaport, Little Italy, Chinatown, Ground Zero area. We also wait until 10 a.m., when the commuter rush is over, to head into the city. Enjoy your visit to the Big Apple and have a great cruise.:)

http://www.iconparking.com/

less than reported. I occassionally drive in to Manhattan and almost always find a street spot...its a matter of pride.

We went to a fund raiser performance of Spamalot and the party afterwards was at Tavern on the Green we parked at a street spot at 40th street and eighth avenue and I was going to splurge and pay for the lot at Tavern on the Green when we got there it was closed and I found a street spot less than a block away...

http://www.iconparking.com/

less than reported. I occassionally drive in to Manhattan and almost always find a street spot...its a matter of pride.

We went to a fund raiser performance of Spamalot and the party afterwards was at Tavern on the Green we parked at a street spot at 40th street and eighth avenue and I was going to splurge and pay for the lot at Tavern on the Green when we got there it was closed and I found a street spot less than a block away...

I looked at your website for parking garages around customers office close to Canal St. $28.00 for 7 hours was the cheapest and it was in Tribeca quite a walk away from Canal St. The closest to Canal Street (on Grand, just off Broadway) was $40.00 for 7 hours. I thought you were on to bargain parking.

And I won't park on the street anymore. Have gotten 1 rental car and one company pickup towed away. A lot more money than the parking garage or taking taxis.

So, basically, I am looking at almost $10.00 pp from EWR on the trains to Newark Penn Station, and then to midtown via PATH.. Then I may need a cab to get from midtown to Times Square...:)

My original query, tho' I may not have presented it properly, would be for a limo/van 'service' to drive us from the Sheraton Newark Airport directly to Times Square.. Transfer, tolls and tip for six (6) passengers in a 7 passenger SUV would be $19.50 pp.. 'point to point'!:p

Realistically, for the service provided and having to be at Times Square at a certain time to meet up with our Tour Shuttle (OnBoard), I didn't think the option was all that expensive. Your thoughts..:D

So, basically, I am looking at almost $10.00 pp from EWR on the trains to Newark Penn Station, and then to midtown via PATH.. Then I may need a cab to get from midtown to Times Square...:)

My original query, tho' I may not have presented it properly, would be for a limo/van 'service' to drive us from the Sheraton Newark Airport directly to Times Square.. Transfer, tolls and tip for six (6) passengers in a 7 passenger SUV would be $19.50 pp.. 'point to point'!:p

Realistically, for the service provided and having to be at Times Square at a certain time to meet up with our Tour Shuttle (OnBoard), I didn't think the option was all that expensive. Your thoughts..:D

You stated you were going two days in a row. So at $19.50 x 6 x 2 x 2=$468.00 vs about $240 for everyone on the train for 2 days. If there are no mobility issues, you can walk from the 33rd st station to Time Square in about 10 minutes. Maybe take the shuttle one day-when you need to meet the tour, then take the train the second day. On the train, you get to see how New Yorkers live. In the shuttle, it keeps you away from what REALLY makes NYC tick. JMHO.

I looked at your website for parking garages around customers office close to Canal St. $28.00 for 7 hours was the cheapest and it was in Tribeca quite a walk away from Canal St. The closest to Canal Street (on Grand, just off Broadway) was $40.00 for 7 hours. I thought you were on to bargain parking.

And I won't park on the street anymore. Have gotten 1 rental car and one company pickup towed away. A lot more money than the parking garage or taking taxis.

Downtown is much worse than midtown. The cheapest downtown lot I know is the lot at the Battery Tunnel. So many downtown lots have become buildings with out lots the prices have become crazy. The other "cheap" lot I know down there is in the bottom of Confucius tower. off Canal.....but I have had to drive there twice in the last three weeks during the day and always found a meter....

Would the 'train' system from EWR into NYC, and the return trip be easy to navigate for someone who has never done that before? :)

I used to 'ride the trains' in Pittsburgh, when they were really 'trains', but my experience ended with a 'Trolley' ride to Kennywood Park!:D

As with any planning, and since the DW appointed me to the chore, I always worry when we are 'getting close'.. :eek:

12 more days until we fly in from Buffalo, and there is still snow on the ground in Erie, PA!:( ;)

Archived