Hairdryers

NW Pacific

They have a hair dryer, but they vary widely from ship to ship. For example, the ones on the Jewel class ships are great, but the one on the Sun doesn't work well on thick or long hair.

Which ship are you sailing?

They are absolutely horrible on the spirit. They were fine on the Dawn and Star. Hopefully the Jewel will have good ones! Have a great trip!!

The ones on the Jewel (and the Pearl) are fine. They're the same kind mentioned on the Gem. The Sun's are worthless.

We just sailed on the Spirit - March 16-23. The hairdryer in the bathroom is beyond useless. However, I was able to get a plug in hairdryer from the reception desk that worked OK. Not as good as my 1875 watt model from home, but no worries about blowing the fuse for my entire floor either.;)

I can also confirm the Star hairdryers are good (though I don't think they take a diffuser-- you'll need to bring your own for that). Last time I was on the Star, I never took my dryer out of the bag, so I'm leaving it at home this time. I have plenty of other junk to take its place though.

We just sailed on the Majesty and regretfully I did not bring my own hair dryer. The hair dryer (mounted on the bathroom wall) was an antique and resembled a vacuum cleaner. It did not have any speed or heat selections and it got very hot but didn't blow much air. After using for a few minutes, the handle/hose would get so hot you couldn't hold it. Since this hair dryer was pretty much useless, I asked my stateroom attendant for a regular hand held hair dryer. He referred me to guest services but I never contacted them and just tolerated this piece of junk. From now on, I will always pack my own hair dryer.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to pack LIGHT and was thinking of NOT bringing

my hairdryer and then I overheard these ladies

at the gym talking about the "HOSE" type hairdryers

on cruise ships. Anyone know what Jade balcony

cabins have for hairdryers? Thanks!

We are sailing on the Spirit and I noticed in the pics that someone took of their cabin there was a sign that said "max wattage 500, no hairdryers" in the bathroom. So, where do you plug your hairdryer in if you bring your own?

You don't. You have to have one configured for the electrical system on board.

FWIW, I liked the hairdryer on the Spirit. It was funny looking, but it got the job done fine.

Archived