couple novice questions

bamn

Sorry I guess I should have been more spacific in my org. post. I figured out pax was passengers and list was some kinda tipping. But what does the actual P A X stand for and how big of a dip does the ship have to do for it to be a list. How common is it and why do they shorten trips over it?

What is the context of P A X in which you're referring.

The last cruise I was on in December, Crown Princess (a HUGE ship), listed enough that you could clearly tell the port side was leaning lower than the starboard. I'm sure if I set a glass on the starboard side, it would have slid left (port) immediately. But the seas were rough and it was the most wind I've ever experienced on a cruise. That being said, it was not that uncomfortable and I wasn't afraid. No change in itinerary.

PAX is not an acronym if that's what you are asking. It's just an abbreviation that doesn't really make sense, but hey?

I am not sure if there is a technical range for listing. I think it is just any unusual rocking of the boat.

As everyone has said, pax is just an odd abbreviation for passenger.

List is tilt or rotation about the centerline of the ship. It's generally associated with some variety of imbalance such as when cargo or ballast has shifted or even when a ship is taking on water.

Thanks - sure is an odd abb. for passenger. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what it stood for.:o I thought p= passenger but was really lost on the x.:rolleyes:

Archived