Iguazu Falls Help???

BCHappyGal

We are booked on Infinity arriving into Buenos Aires on Jan 30/05.

We are thinking of adding on a trip to see the Iguazu Falls. I need to know the following?

How much walking is involved?

Are the pathways fairly level or is it a lot of uphill/downhill walking?

Are there a lot of stairs?

I understand we need to see the Falls from both the Argentine Side and the Brazil side. Yet I understand that a visa and entering Brazil is a real chore/difficult especially for Americans. Could we skip this by taking a helicoper tour of the falls from Argentina??

All comments would be greatly appreciated?

I am very concerned about the amount of walking as my Dad who is 83 will be with us and he can walk on level pathways with no problem but his heart prevents him from doing lots of stairs or steep paths.

We were just at the Falls this last Feb.

Pathways on both sides are paved or grated.

A lot of walking is involved on the Argentina side, most of it on fairly level surfaces. Wheel chairs were available on the Argentina side, or at least I saw a park employee pushing an empty one in response to a radio call for it. You may want to go down into the gorge to take a great boat ride into the Falls, your farther can wait for you topside.

I didn’t find getting a Brazilian visa a hassle. I filled out the application, expressed mailed it with my passport and $$ to the appropriate consulate, and had it back in less than 5 days. If you are American, you might be finger printed and photographed at the border. The pathway on the Brazilian side takes you down a hill and then back up it and is steeper than most on the Argentina side. Your father could just take the park bus to the last stop and take an elevator down to the viewing platforms.

Can’t answer your question about the helo ride.

Plan on 3 days for the roundtrip to and from BA.

The pathways to see the falls on the Brazilian side include many steps and fairly steep (but paved) pathways. On the Argentina side, you take a narrow gauge train (wheelchair accessible) to the start of several pathways which are level and either paved or steel grating over the river. You can take more paths in some areas that go down into the gorge on this side that require steps (like going down to the river ferry) but this is not necessary.

It can be VERY hot there, and some of the paths offer little shade. Be prepared. I would recommend taking a wheelchair with you for anyone that has problems standing or walking anything but a short distance. It is quite a ways just to walk from the entrance on the Argentina side to where you catch the train.

The Brazilian side is quite different, but if you have a mobility impairment, I would stick to just the Argentina side. Sorry I don't know about helicopter tours as I did not do this when I was there.

I would recommend www.southstartours.com for arrangements for your trip here instead of using the ship's tours. They really provided great service, and their price was much more reasonable. My tour was by private car and the tour guide took care of everything when crossing the border both ways (I did have a Brazilian visa as we went on to Rio on our cruise).

HA Constitution 1986

NCL Skyward 1988

Crystal Harmony 1992

Dawn Princess 1994

HA Independence 1995

Celebrity Zenith 1997

Grand Princess 1999

Regal Princess 2000

Crystal Harmony 2000

HAL Ryndam 2001

HAL Statendam 2003

RCI Vision of the Seas 2003