Anyone else see this article?

MamaParrotHead

No doubt that cruising is a great family vacation.

However, it seems that some parents view it as a situation where they don't have to watch the kids. Like this from that article

"When I come in to our cabin, my parents are already asleep!"

That's from a 15 year old girl. Stuff can happen on a ship.

Charlie

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/03/25/cruising/index.html

I thought it was an interesting portrayal of parenting on a ship. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... interesting. If it were up to me, I wouldn't be taking small kids on ship anyway. I like to drink with my company. lol.

IF I were to take kids on the ship, I sure as heck wouldn't let them roam free. I'd put one of those expandable leashes on them and make them go fetch umbrella drinks for Uncle Curtie.:D

My jaw dropped on a few occasions while reading the article, the "parents are asleep when I come to my cabin" thing was a biggie for me. One of the other things that bothered me was touting one of the "fun" things about being on a cruise was the "room stewards cleaning up your mess" and making your bed. The bed, yes, fine. But do people actually think that the steward's job is to pick up their crap in their room? That bothers me. And it especially bothers me that people teach the kids that lack of respect. Argh.

No doubt that cruising is a great family vacation.

However, it seems that some parents view it as a situation where they don't have to watch the kids. Like this from that articleThat's from a 15 year old girl. Stuff can happen on a ship.

Charlie

I was just about to use the same quote.. How dare these parents let these CHILDREN roam the ship... All a cruise is, is a floating city and bad stuff happens everywhere.. Aside from that risk, it is not fair to other guests !!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm... interesting. If it were up to me, I wouldn't be taking small kids on ship anyway. I like to drink with my company. lol.

IF I were to take kids on the ship, I sure as heck wouldn't let them roam free. I'd put one of those expandable leashes on them and make them go fetch umbrella drinks for Uncle Curtie.:D

See i knew i liked you !

"fun" things about being on a cruise was the "room stewards cleaning up your mess" and making your bed. The bed, yes, fine. But do people actually think that the steward's job is to pick up their crap in their room? That bothers me. And it especially bothers me that people teach the kids that lack of respect. Argh.

I don't think that the above was a quote from one of the children. I agree with you...it bothers me too, thinking that people teach their children that lack of respect. However...I don't think that most room stewards clean up your mess. I have left several messes in my room (when I would leave in a hurry) I would come back to my room and find my bed turned down, but my mess would still be there. I don't think that the room stewards like messing with your personal belongings. (when they can avoid them) I am taking three teens on our next cruise and they will keep their messes picked up. (I do not like living in a pig sty and I don't want them to live in one either) I will however give them quit a bit of freedom. I trust my teens and they know what the rules are. I have taught them to be cautious in all situations and to be on their guard never to let it down no matter where they are. They enjoy hanging out in the teen club at night and I want this cruise to be fun for them as well.

HurricaneGirl,....

I worked in a hotel both as a front desk clerk and a housekeeper. We were not allowed to touch a persons personal belongings regardless of where they were. We simply had to clean around them. If they were on the bed we left a little note explaining why we had not turned down the bed and if they would like to have it turned down to call the front desk and we would do it immediately. Now this was probably a little extreme but it stemmed from our sue happy society where you can literally sue for just about anything. I am assuming the cabin stewards probably have the same rules :)

MamaParrotHead, Thanks for the article; it was definately enlightening. I guess many parents think nothing bad can happen on a cruise but like someone said it's a floating city. And I agree with you when you said kids are taught a lack of respect when stewards clean up their messes. When we go away as a family, my parents always told my brother and I to straighten up the room so the housekeeper didn't think we lived like pigs. :D I still do it to this day....

~Kristina

Kristina685, I was basically saying the same thing you did in your post about cleaning up the messes. I don't think that the room steward is allowed to touch your personal belongings either. I knew that housekeeping at motels were not allowed to.

I was taught the same respect as you were as a child. To this day, my DM makes her bed before she leaves her cabin. We as a family always try to show respect to the cabin stewards but as I said before there are times when I will leave the cabin in a hurry and I leave a mess behind but it is still there when I come back. (then I clean my mess up)

My jaw dropped on a few occasions while reading the article, the "parents are asleep when I come to my cabin" thing was a biggie for me. One of the other things that bothered me was touting one of the "fun" things about being on a cruise was the "room stewards cleaning up your mess" and making your bed. The bed, yes, fine. But do people actually think that the steward's job is to pick up their crap in their room? That bothers me. And it especially bothers me that people teach the kids that lack of respect. Argh.

On our first cruise last June we took the boys (19 & 22). One day I walked into their room and it looked much like their rooms at home would if I allowed it. I suggested they pick up before we headed out for the day. They nonchalantly informed me that their room steward was awesome and he picked everything up as well as hung up their clothes for them. My jaw dropped and they got an ear ful from me. Now this was our first cruise and I had spent months and months telling them how incredible cruises are so I chalked it up to they really thought that was part of the service. From then on their clothing was hung and the cabin picked up BEFORE the steward came to clean. They also apologized to the steward and left him a generous tip. It didn't help though when he told them it was not a problem and that they do it all the time for passengers. Egads :eek:

Hate to say it, but it is not just kids/teens that leave their cabins for everyone else to clean up. Took my BIL and his 6/7 year olds with us on Valor - his first Carnival cruise. His cabin was absolutely disgusting and embarrassing. They are a "drop it where it lays" family - leave clothes, old food, plates, etc., all over the place - even at home. Well, at home they have a live-in housekeeper. I tried to explain that a ship is different. I was so embarrassed, I actually slipped their steward $20 extra the 2nd day, and left a generous tip for him the last day, apologizing for their piggy-ness as I did so. They do this in hotels also - I always tip extra to cover their bad habits. Now, he is a Dr. - well educated, etc. He should know better, and so should his kids. Even my dd16 was embarrassed, and her room at home looks like a bomb hit it! (on vacation that garbage doesn't fly with us- especially since we share a cabin with our teens) BIL is coming with us in a few weeks on the Freedom, and have the cabin next to us. I already packed extra tip money!

pe4all and crazed, our room steward has never picked up our mess (when we have left one..which is very few times). I did not think that they were allowed to do that. I learned something new today. (but I don't want to use it) I know that they work hard for the money that they make and I don't like to abuse their services. I always leave a very good tip for them because I know what they have to go through with their job. Before getting my degree I use to be a janitor at a middle school. (I hated my job!!) I know what it is like cleaning up after children with no respect...many do not.

Unfortunately some people who bring their kids with them on cruises are using the cruiseline staff as their babysitter. These are the same parents who can't understand why little Johnny is suddenly caught doing drugs or little Suzy turns up pregnant. Hmmmm..... let me guess..... maybe...... LACK OF PARENTAL SUPERVISION?????? YA THINK??????? If I brought my children on a cruise it would be to experience the cruise as a family. What a better way to enjoy your kids. Just my opinion.

My hubby and are planning on taking our 4 kids on a cruise later this year or early next year, so by then they will be 14,9,7,5. I could never imagine them running crazy around a ship. Please tell me most of the parents really do not allow their children to act this way!?! I wouldn't want mine thinking a cruise is a free for all!!

Unfortunately some people who bring their kids with them on cruises are using the cruiseline staff as their babysitter. These are the same parents who can't understand why little Johnny is suddenly caught doing drugs or little Suzy turns up pregnant. Hmmmm..... let me guess..... maybe...... LACK OF PARENTAL SUPERVISION?????? YA THINK??????? If I brought my children on a cruise it would be to experience the cruise as a family. What a better way to enjoy your kids. Just my opinion.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived