reviews of cruises around the Cape

xpcdoojk

Steve and Tina - thanks for sharing your website. Really enjoyed the pictures. We've been to some of the same places you have, like Alaska and the Baltic. If it weren't for videos and photos, we wouldn't remember what we saw where!

How did you handle the car rental in Santiago? We're thinking of renting a car when we land in Valparaiso next February, and driving on our own for a couple of days.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh after I wrote this post I realized hubby mentioned this already, but here's my take on the experience.

I took Celebrity's Zenith around the horn a couple of years back.. our experience at the horn was .. partly cloudy but cool day, we were going eastbound around the horn to Buenos Arieis but approached it from the east, a squall blew up right as we were going around, only lasted a few minutes then it cleared up. The ship passed the horn, turned around and we went past it going East .. so we went both ways around it lol

I have a reivew of my Valparaiso (Santiago) to BA cruise with photos on my site : http://www.recordlady.com/Pages/CRUISES/Zenith/Zenith.htm

We had a great time :) do be aware that you can and may miss any port due to rough seas or weather, so be ready for any changes in plans.. we were not able to land at the Falklands since winds were too rough for the tenders - I've heard its 50 / 50 you get to land there, for example.

Fun trip !

Tina Johnson

"VIstadeck"

http://www.recordlady.com/Pages/CRUISES/Zenith/Zenith.htm

• 4 months later...

I went around the Horn on the NCL Crown December 2004 - Jan 2006, with both Christmas and New Years on the ship.

We sailed from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires visiting Chile, Argentina, the Falklands and Uruguay along the way. The trip was wonderful.

The Captain of the Crown was an amazing sailor and had us everywhere well in advance of the planned times so we spent loads of time on glaciers and the Horn. When we visited the Horn the crew went ashore to drop gifts and supplies, while they were there the ship cruised slowly around the entire island, stopping for a long time right in front of the massive, gorgeous cliffs that inspired terror in so many sailors.

We piroueted around to allow all passengers, no matter where they were, an excellent view.

Smooth Sailing posted a wonderful review of his cruise, it starts at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=130844.

Have a great time!

lisa

Oh, nearly forgot - weather. The reason our Captain was able to get us everywhere well in advance of the posted times was because we were blessed with fab weather all along the way.

Seas were calm, only mild bumpiness a couple of times along the way. The sea at the Horn was smooth and beautiful. It's very chilly and windy - pick up scarves and hats at your ports before the Horn.

lisa

Archived