Sun Block Suggestions?

DaisyGirl55

Going on our family cruise with my kids and grandkids in August, and my 2 grandchildren will be cruising for the first time (19 months and 9 monthls old).

What is the best sun block or sun screen to use for these little ones? We will be sailing the Western Caribbean itinerary. I am sure that since they are so young, most of my excursions will be with the babies on a beach somewhere giving mommy and daddy a break...and I just don't want them to burn. My grand-daughter absolutely refuses to wear a hat, so I need something to protect her.

Any suggestions?

Just had my 12 year old DD at the Dermatologist! She was awesome and had some great suggestions for our upcoming So. Car. cruise.

She said to get a sunblock with "titanium dioxide". She mentioned Neutrogena and Blue lizzard products.

I personally love Bull Frog. I'm very fair and have NEVER burned on any of our 5 So. Car. cruises. I use the superblock that's water & sweat proof.

She also suggested to lotion up real good before leaving the ship then bring along a continous spray sunblock to re-apply every few hours. This is a great idea that I hadn't thought about...no rubbing in sand! But the first application is the most important!

I tried using only the continous spray last year but it missed spots! I'm back to the Bull frog gel...I know it's going to work!

The dr. also strongly suggested getting the kids (I also have 2 grandbabies coming with us 3 & 1) some of those sun block shirts they now sell. I found some at Target. I think they're called Rash-guard. And really try to get them to wear hats...maybe they'll wear "fun" ones.

Have fun and keep them grandbabies protected from the sun!

I always have a hard time getting my kids to be still while I put lotion on their faces. For this I find the child or baby faces stick kind best. They seem less likely to wiggle and less afraid you will get it in their eyes. It is also great for the back of the neck and ears.

Rash Guard shirts are a GOOD thing! You can buy them at Target, Gap, Old navy, sporting goods stores.

AS far as sunscreen goes. We have had good luck with Neutrogena dry touch. I also bought some California Baby sunscreen at Whole Foods and it is SUPER thick... goes on white and makes the kids look pastey but you know they are covered. I've also heard good things Blue Lizard as well as UV Natural

Check out this website for good info on sun screens

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?sunscreens=1&best=1

HTH's you!

~Tondi

I checked out the Rash-Guard shirts online, but I do not think they have any shirts as small as I am looking for. I will however, check out some local sporting goods stores and see what they have. Great suggestion!

I'll have my son talk to the baby doctor and see what they recommend as well.

Thanks to those who responded!

DaisyGirl55 - I just got my son a rash guard shirt from Land's End in 3-6 month size. They start from that size and go up. Check out this link:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/RashGuardShirt~180917_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DAZ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003&origin=index

I also bought him some other pieces with SPF from a line called iPlay. (http://www.iplaybabywear.com). You can use their store locator to find a store near you or an online merchant.

Target actually sells swimwear for kids this age in the "baby" department. The shirts, trunks/bottoms are sun "proof" and well designed. They also sell matching hats and sunglasses which are good if the kids will keep them on. Since I'm really big on sun protection (as a surgeon who cuts off skin cancers often in younger and younger people), I give a total "beach" outfit as a part of all baby shower gifts. The whole thing is about $30 and well worth the cost!

Note: Keep your eyes peeled for these as they tend to sell out very quickly every year!

You guys are the best! :D

Since we are cruising in August, I think we'll pick up some of these items now. By August, it starts to get hard to find summer items in the stores.

As I live in Florida where it is warm most all year round, that never made much sense to me...but not surprising when the stores push holidays almost back-to-back sometimes!

Target has their swimwear out now. I have a couple sets the poster was talking about. I love the sunglassed because they are velcro and stay on very well.

My DD wore a hat last year, but not this year, she will not keep it on for more than 2 seconds.

Buy it now, becuase it does get picked over very quickly.

Archived