Vaccum Bag for Packing

wvgolfchic

I have a silly question that I have not seen mentioned. I thought about getting one of those vaccum bags to pack the bulkier items in my suitcase. It would work fine for the trip out, but how can I get it back in for the trip home? Would I be able to borrow a vaccum from a cabin steward?

Just wondering.

I agree with the previous poster. However, if you're really interested in Space Bags, they also make the kind that you don't need a vacuum. You roll them to force the air out. I have used them on lengthier trips (never on a cruise). They work very well but nowadays you have to worry more about weight restrictions on flights. Finally, the one major downside, at least for me, is the clothes getting wrinkled.

Just pack less - If you need vaccum bags you are bringing 2X what you need.

.....and your point is???? LOL!! Sorry, but I always pack 2X what I need. I'm always worried I'll need something else.

I was mostly thinking of this for jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. I want to fit everything in to 1 suitcase, and these bulky, yet lightweight items take a lot of room.

Thanks for the vaccumless idea. I'll look for them.

I used them last year and it made packing easy. I had the kind you rolled the air out of. I've heard of people asking housekeeping for a vacuum to suck air out when it comes time to pack to go home.

Because of the wrinkles, I limit the use of the Space Bags to t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc., anything that I don't care about being wrinkled. It really does end up saving quite a bit of space in the luggage. Then, coming home, wrinkles don't matter any more, so using the bags creates plenty of space for souvenirs.

My roommate (who is smaller than me) used the big ziploc bags (I think like gallon size)and folded her stuff nicely to fit an outfit in each one ....... and they were mostly capris and a shirt. She just took them out when we got our luggage and hung up the stuff that needed to be,seemed to work good and I didnt notice any major wrinkle problems. So I just bought a box and going to try that with my kids's stuff for our cruise next week.....

I've used the space bags that you roll the air out many times, esp. for ski trips. You can really shrink down sweaters, fleeces, parkas. Instead of rolling out the air, we fold the garments, place them in the bag neatly, put the bag on the floor with the 1-way valve away from me & LAY ON THEM, pushing the air out. Works like a charm. I also use the 2-gal ziplocks for underwear, tops, bathing suits, coverups. zip them almost close & push the air out. I've not had any excessive problems w/wrinkles, but there's always Wrinkle Release. I tend to take a lot of white tops & black tops, so white tops in one bag, black in another, underwear in another, socks in another. I'm unpacked & organized in 10 minutes. Also worked great on a trip to Poland, different hotel every other night. Suitcase stayed organized, you could root around & find something w/out disturbing everything.

I must agree with BZ. I have traveled internationally with just a carry on suitcase and a large bag type "purse". I always use the space bags and have not have an exceptional problem with wrinkles. Have never went over on the weight limit. We always weigh our bags before leaving. Some of the newer suitcases are much lighter weight to begin with. Always pack things inside of other things and use all available space. That way you don't end up with lots of extras that you don't really need and your luggage is never lost!

I use both the vacuum and the roll up kind of space bags to pack for trips. Never have had a problem with wrinkling but I iron things and fold them very neatly before I put them in the bags. I like to organize three or four days of clothing per bag including all the undergarments and night wear I will need. Shoes I pack separately. There is always extra space in my suitcases when I pack this way so no problem for the return trip. I have used them the last three cruises and they worked great. I always write out a list of the outfits and the days I think I will wear them. This can always be changed up but it really helps me stay organized. DH does his own packing - no space bags for him. On the way back we just roll the air out when packing up our dirty duds in the space bags. Because I plan outfits ahead I rarely bring anything I don't end up wearing!

We have used the vacuum bags before and they do help make more room in your luggage. We just sat on them and pushed the air out which worked well. There are different kinds and you may not be able to do this with all of them. Hope this helps.

Archived