Marriott Condado or Courtyard Isla Verde??

cruisinfirst

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned (10/04) from a cruise on AOS and spent a night before and after at this hotel -- it was terrible!!! The smell was so musty and everything was damp (including the beds). On our arrival (party of 4) they let both parties check out 3 rooms each, but there wasn't any improvement so we finally just accepted the 3rd room. Another man who checked in when we did, ended up leaving because of the horrible smell. We hoped that on our return from the cruise the rooms might not feel and smell so damp (mildew), but it was worse. Again, we tried different rooms, but to no avail. We were using value awards certificates, and it was late, so we stuck it out. There was black mildew behind the caulking in our shower and the mirrors hadn't even been cleaned. My husband's socks were damp from walking on the carpet. The free breakfast was also not very good and if you get cereal, expect it to be stale. We heard from another passenger on our cruise that the other Mariott was nice, but also had a bit of a musty smell. The plus on this hotel is it has a very nice beach and the staff tried to be accomodating -- hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks! I'm allergic to mold & mildew so this might not be a good choice for us. It appeared to be a newer hotel (I think it was renovated & became Courtyard in 2002?) but of course they make everything look great on the web. Sounds like I probably need to go to the Marriott at Condado.

We were at the Marriott Stellaris at Condado in April. The hotel was nice - rooms were very clean and comfortable. Employees were very helpful. Room service was prompt, friendly, and pretty good. Our room overlooked the beach, which is small but attractive. We ate dinner at the buffet the night we arrived because we got in so late and the food was fairly typical buffet fare. We would stay there again without any hesitation.

Sue

We were at the Marriott pre-cruise last weekend and were pleased with the accommodations. We were upgraded to a suite overlooking the ocean which was a blast to play in during high tide. The pools were awesome and we felt the food at the hotel was mediocre at best. Nice shopping all around the hotel. We didn't get a sense of any musty or dampness smells anywhere, probably from too many rum punches. Overall I'd give it a 7+ on a 10 grade scale. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back Wednesday from San Juan. Stayed in Condado. Construction is everywhere. Were knocking pilings into the ground on the property right next to Marriott. So you will probably hear construction noise. It was around 1030am.

Not that it should steer you away, because the hotel public areas were pretty and the beach and pool area were also quite lovely.

Just an FYI to everyone.

Caribe Hilton was beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I came back from our cruise and stayed pre- and post- at the Marriott in Condado beginning of November. The pre-room was ocean view and the post-room was oceanfront. Awesome view of the beach and water. Even saw the cruise ships in the horizon (early Monday morning). The rooms were nice and clean. You could tell that folks left the balcony door open before us. But once the AC was running, the room is fine. Did not notice any mildew. There's a safe in the room to store your valuables.

There are lots of restaurants in Condado. Few are open for breakfast and lunch and most open for dinner. Did not eat at the hotel...somewhat expensive. Starbucks across the street. We lunch at the Green House (right of the Marriott and across the street, one block). Ate lunch at a gelato cafe (left of the Marriott and across the street, one block). Inexpensive and they served breakfast and lunch and had some nice looking desserts. There was another gelato store right next to Starbucks, but the service was terrible and the folks were rude.

There's a Japanese restaurant called Cherry Blossom right next to the hotel. Did not eat at this restaurant.

DH and I took a cab to OSJ for $10 and $10 back.

FYI. There is no sales tax in Puerto Rico...except for jewelry purchases.

Upscale shops to the left of the Marriott and inexpensive t-shirts to the right past Walgreens.

Above directions are based on leaving the Marriott and you're facing Ashford Ave.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a restaurant on the corner directly across the street from the Marriott or is that where Starbucks is now? There used to be a Chart House restaurant but that closed a few years ago. I wondered if they put in a new steak house type restaurant in the same spot. Thanks.

Archived