Ferry Rush Hour

mrrick747

How late can we expect to leave St John and not run into a rush situation and risk missing the ferry? Would love to stay in St John til 4:00 pm, boat departs at 5:30. My insticts tell me that 3 is the best bet. Any experiences with this? thanks,

Rick and Lynn

Rick,

I would not wait until 4 to get the ferry back. The ferries alternate to town, the pier at Havensight and to Red Hook. If you should happen to miss one to the pier then a trip from Red Hook to Havensight will be at least a 20 minute ride. Traffic in STT is madness in the afternoon. There is always the possibility that you will dock at the naval yard, which will entail a ferry to town. Don't forget - you should always board at least 1/2 hour before departure. You need to get up to the pool deck, grab a cool one, and watch all the fools running to catch their ship that's sailed without them. Have a great cruise.

I agree that you should take the 3PM ferry, back from St. John. On our last visit, the 3PM ferry was at capacity. A large number of people had to wait for the next ferry.

I strongly recommend buying a ROUNDTRIP ticket, at Red Hook. The ticket selling process is slow; many of the people who did not make our 3PM ferry, were those who were still waiting in line, to purchase tickets. People with the roundtrip tickets, boarded the ferry, leaving the others behind.

Hello,

The last Cruz Bay-Charlotte Amalie ferry is at 3:45pm and takes 45 minutes. So that would get you to CA at 4:30pm with 30 minutes to get through traffic to Havensight (most ships dock there) to be on the ship 30 minutes before departure. If you missed this ferry you would have to get on the 4pm Red Hook ferry for a 20 minute ferry ride and then a 17 minute (in low-moderate traffic) to Havensight. Based on my experiences getting stuck in the bottle-neck traffic that develops around Havensight with taxis, school kids, residents getting off of work around 4-5pm I would say take the 3pm ferry.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived