Travel Insurance ? Survey Says....

attipay

Let's see, February, flying out of Boston. Isn't there a chance of snow storms never mind the medical coverage issue for the whole trip? Ask the people who got messed up this summer with the hurricanes what they now think.

To many things can go wrong and it is relatively cheap. We wouldn't think of going without it.

At first I never got insurance but after our second cruise we read a post about a medical emergency and the lady got $80K worth of bills from various place (Ship medical, Out of country hospital, and medivac) in addition to having to deal with her husband's death. So we started getting the medical coverage.

In the last month my DW's father was diagnosed with Cancer so we added the RCCL coverage (we have a JS on a 10 day cruise and it was more $ than I was willing to lose) We now add it to every cruise when we book.

I look at it as I don"t mind losing the cost of the cruise so why should I mind spending the $ on insurance.

If you have ever had to fly at the last minute within the states it can cost you a fortune. Can you imagine what it would cost you to fly off the islands at the last minute if you had to.

There was group traveling 2 out of 7 had insurance. One of the two died while on a shore excursion. Had a heart attack and no one new CPR. (That's a whole other thread). Because the 5 did not have insurance the cost of staying on the island one night, meals and the cost of the flight home was more than they could bear. They stayed on the ship. I'm sure it was the longest three days of thier life. They would have rather been home helping thier mother deal with the death of thier Dad. As a result it made a horrible tragedy horrendous.

I have never bought insurance but I can assure you I will never go again with out it. Peace of mind is priceless.

It is amazing that people will spend the amount of money necessary to buy a cruise, but balk at the idea of buying insurance. Insurance is always something that when you buy it you hope that you will not need to use it. If you do need it, then you sure are glad that you have it.

I buy insurance through the insuremytrip web site. I always buy it within two weeks of booking my cruise, that way the pre existing condition clause is waved.

No, I have never had to use it; but I still buy it. To me it is a small cost for the peace of mind that it provides.

Another viewpoint on insurance.

We always buy insurance too. Either Travelex or TravelGuard. Both for DH and myself but for peace of mind with elderly parents. Three years ago we were on the Voyager of the Seas when my mother was hospitalized. Had to fly home from Puerta Vallarta. Under this type of claim the insurance will pay up to the $$$ cost of the trip for trip interruption and flight home. Insurance did not cover the complete cost but did cover the majority of the cost.

Archived