Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

Fortunately, I am happy to report that all of my female friends do shave their legs.. :)

whew!! I'm happy to hear that. :D Nothing grosser than hairy legs on a woman FTLOG! Well, a hairy upper is equally as gross.

which reminds me.....

;)

I agree with all you said, but this line (which I have heard before) always baffles me.

I spend not one second more on myself for fromal night than I do for any other night.

What would cause most women to spend more time on formal night??

Just asking.

Ahh, not an extra second for me. My hair is wash and wear and my make up might consist of a mascara and a bit of powder on my nose. I just enjoy watching others in their finery.

Well since I really did not know what "Manpris" were' date=' I decided to "google" them. They are certainly more hideous than I even dared dream!:D A real fashion "travesty" for men. I have to admit I don't even wear capris, always felt like I had washed them in hot water and they had shrunk!:D Just an uncomfortable length for me. But Men, please no, no no manpris....PLEASE....:)[/quote']

How funny I had to do the same thing. First my DH would not be caught DEAD in these, Maybe a young man in his 20's would be comfortable wearing them. I do wear capri's, even to work with a nice healled sandle, they can be dressed up. I have also gone to wearing Bermuda style shorts, but I will not wear them to dinner. No harm in a skirt and blouse. TO each their own.

If the temp is 80+ degrees what is wrong with long shorts and a collared shirt? Do you really look under the table? Dress on the formal nights is something different, but maybe some of the men would like to wear a short or calf length skirt if a nice pair of dress shorts is confrontational!!!

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']"[I]When finished with your meal, place your knife and fork with handles at the 4 o'clock position and the tines of the fork down to signal to the server that you are done[/I]."
Tom[/quote]

This gave me a bit of a laugh as it reminded me of instructing at the officer training unit in the Army many years ago now.

In a lesson on map reading and navigation we were required to teach how to locate North when you didn't have a compass. For Australia you point the 12 o'clock at the sun and North is half way between 12 o'clock and the hour hand.

All 30 cadets lifted their left arm to the horizontal position and a universal Aw s*** was uttered when they discovered they were all wearing digital watches.

The regimental sergeant major was pretty caustic in his comments when we returned to the base camp to see that people had been busy drawing watch faces on the back of their hand.

David

One reason carnival may have change the dress code could is because airlines are limiting flyers to one suitcase apiece unless the ticketholder pays for the extra luggage.Most cruisers need a least two pieces of luggage in order to pack the extra cloths needed for formal nights.

[quote name='jimiam']One reason carnival may have change the dress code could is because airlines are limiting flyers to one suitcase apiece unless the ticketholder pays for the extra luggage.Most cruisers need a least two pieces of luggage in order to pack the extra cloths needed for formal nights.[/quote]

I think you're right that this was a factor. Also with the ecomomy worsening, buying expensive clothing on top of the cruise cost might just be the deal breaker for some people now.

I don't think the change will be that drastic. Elegant nights will be more in keeping with the decor and lighting and the dining crew "shows" and is usually how people dress now.

My casual and/or elegant clothes are much nicer than any formal clothing I would purchase because casual is more affordable and also because I don't live near any large department stores that sell formal gowns. What I'm trying to say is I could spend $60 - $100 on a nice dress but won't spend $200 - $400 on a formal dress that I wouldn't even be able to wear to throughout the year.

[quote name='KroozNut']Fortunately, I am happy to report that all of my female friends do shave their legs.. :)

[/quote]

Years ago I knew a Gal that had a small crop hair on her chest... and displayed it promanantly with a low V-cur blouse... :eek:

But this was in Berkeley, CA so was not too unexpected... :cool:

[quote name='halos']
I spend not one second more on myself for fromal night than I do for any other night.

[/quote]

:eek:

It's very interesting that makeup does make a huge difference. My wife never uses make-up but for a few occations. And we both agree that it makes a huge difference.

I'm sure women often think that they wished men would use make-up... :eek:

[quote name='tinlizzy']I think you're right that this was a factor. Also with the ecomomy worsening, buying expensive clothing on top of the cruise cost might just be the deal breaker for some people now.
[/quote]

I think that Carnival basically adjusted the dress code to reflect reality, but you have perhaps identified why. Not so much buying/renting expensive clothing, but any clothing.

Most people have never cruiser before and most of the new ones have never heard of Internet cruise boards.

Carnival is not only in competition with other cruise lines, but also theme parks and many others for vacation dollars.

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']Actually, over 50% of Carnival cruisers have cruised before... and 80% of those are repeat Carnival cruisers.[/quote]

I was speaking of the general population. Carnival, like others, is trying to attract new cruisers, as well as retain existing ones. Most of the general population have never cruised before.

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']And what varifiable info do you base this comment on... ?[/quote]

Not sure what "varifiable " is, but here is one source:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sea-Inside-Cruise-Industry/dp/0471749184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206941230&sr=1-1[/url]

the 2007 second edition.

Archived